2 heads better than 1???

2 heads better than 1

Votes: 21 36.2%

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters

Cosmo86

Visit site
Long time reader first time typer.

I’m about to order a new family boat. We are taken with the Dufour 390. I have read the reviews, spoken to owners and completed a test sail.

For our small family needs (2 adults and a 4 year old) she is perfect. We will be doing coastal marina hopping, long weekend and and then yearly summer holiday UK coastal. No crossing oceans or living aboard etc.

As with things these days we have an option of lay outs. 3 cabins is a must but we can’t decide between the 2 heads or the 1. The answer I am sure will become insanely obvious once we have the boat and start sailing but sadly I need to make the choice before then and sod law says I pick the wrong one!

still, what I want to know iswhat would you do? 2 heads or 1 and most importantly… why?

link to layouts (scroll down, Layout 1 or Layout 4)

thanks in advance

SaltIre

Visit site
I've posted the two layouts below.
I can see your dilemma! Layout 4 gives more dry storage in the forecabin than layout 1, but you'll need somewhere to hang/store wet weather gear. This is generally the heads...
If the aft heads is large enough for wet weather gear storage for you + guests I'd go for layout 4 - one heads. If not, layout 1 - two heads.
Very sadly it isn't my choice, but I'd choose layout 4 - one heads.

Hope you enjoy your new boat.

Layout 1:
390-Layout-1.jpeg

Layout 4:
390-Layout-4.jpeg

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Two heads contain twice as many things to go wrong. Two heads have to be cleaned. The second head takes up space that might be otherwise useful. Most of the sailing that I have done on cruising boats has been in the context of a single head and a crew of 6-7. I don't recall a time when there was pressure on the facilities.

Csfisher

Visit site
I find it difficult to have a firm opinion one way or another.

1 head:
-more locker space in the main cabin, which is a big big point
- less to clean and maintain
- salt water heads tend to smell depending on where you are so two heads means twice that smell

2 heads:
- when you shower you still have a nice dry head to use
- generally one is always on the Lee side
- more wet hanging space
- you have a 'guest' head that is clutter free
- if one blocks or breaks you still have a head to use while you fix the other one

dslittle

Visit site
2 heads:
- more wet hanging space
- if one blocks or breaks you still have a head to use while you fix the other one

ALL of the above. We normally sail with just two of us but when you have any guests, the second heads is brilliant. Personal choice but we would always take the two heads option.

chrishscorp

Visit site
2 heads:
- more wet hanging space

Having been out on a fortnights cruise which took in a bank holiday weekend and everyman and his dog going to the chandlers I would go with two heads, that way you have a useable heads if you cant get spares in a hurry

Neeves

Visit site
If we were buying a boat, say second hand (or new), that size and with berths for 6 - I would demand 2 heads and (given the parsimony of mono showers) 2 showers. With three cabins how much storage space do you need, if you have 2 heads and only use the second head occasionally - you have a wet locker. If you have brothers and sisters - I am sure you will want to invite them to be with you, might they, also, have children ...... At home do you only have one toilet - and have friends to stay. Its the 21st Century

We have a 38' cat and sail as a couple, we have 2 heads (and berths for 6 in 2 queens and a double).

Enjoy the yacht

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

Reactions: vas

DeepKeel

Visit site
In my experience, non sailors get a bit squeamish about the prospect of sharing heads, especially with non family. Once you are at sea and it starts getting wet and pukey all that goes out of the window. In your dripping foulies having a pee while leaning against the wall with the door open to avoid claustrophobia, amputated fingers or sea sickness, is never going to be an edifying experience, so just smile and accept it.

And let's be honest, even if you are in a quiet anchorage and someone goes to use the heads, everyone will hear every fart, splash and pump no matter which heads you use. Again, you might as well announce your plans to the assembled group, turn up the music and go for it.

Bottom line, for me, in a boat of that size, 1 heads is plenty.

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site
Absolute no-brainier. Two heads.

Our boat @Cosmo86 is similar (different brand) to yours, as is intended use. We generally sail as a couple or just me with mate(s).

Can’t think of a single reason why I’d want to compromise by only having one. Just like at home, we have a bathroom or en-suite each.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you and your family enjoy your new boat, great choice. Fair winds.

Last edited:

RJJ

Visit site

The pros and cons already as listed. The two practical pros of 2 imho trump everything else by a mile. YOU HAVE A SPARE (when,.not if, one goes wrong you can fix it at leisure and/or when you have bought the bits and bobs and/or when you can pay someone to do it for you if so inclined). And you have a sea head leaning each way.

For the usage you outlined, storage isn't a massive deal. And you can always pile up non-fragile stores in the second heads if going further afield.

When we have guests we just share anyway as it saves cleaning. However don't make the mistake of mothballing the second - the pumps like to have throughput of water.

Reactions: vas

DeepKeel

Visit site
Just looked at the other layouts, nice boat! If it was mine I would request a custom layout with the giant heads/shower plus the giant galley on the port side, and a wet locker in place of the small aft heads on the stbd side. But, seriously, one thing to consider is the resale value. My crazy layout would almost certainly reduce its value, while the 2-head conventional version would probably be what most people expect in that class of boat.

Tranona

Visit site
Presumably you are having 2 aft cabins because you expect to have guests as well as the 3 of you - or are expecting to expand your family. If so then the 2 heads is the one - and as suggested will probably be expected when you come to sell. I had a 3 cabin boat but was a bit smaller so no room for a second heads. Works OK, but the downside with most boats this size is that with 3 cabins the heads are small compared with the one in a 2 cabin. I now have a smaller 2 cabin and the heads are relatively huge.

Loos should not smell. Presume both will have holding tanks and if you learn how to use them properly then you won't get smells other than the odd smell if you leave for a long time with seawater in the inlet. Dissipates quickly by pumping some water through and a quick squirt of air freshener.