100m mains extension lead ?

Boo2

Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can get a 100m mains extension lead from for use on the boat (I'm obviously 100m away from the sockets atm). I will draw around 6A (but 13A would be better really) and normal boat/caravan style ends.

Thanks,

Boo2

ccscott49

Visit site
You will probably have to make your own. 100 meters is a long way and you'll need pretty heavy cable if you do not wish to have a large volt drop across it, if you draw 13 amps. I'm sure there are electricans on here who will tell you exactly what you require in cross section of the conductors, the plug and socket you can get at most decent caravan shops and some chandlers. It's not gonna be cheap for the cable, but for 100m, you can go to an electrical suppliers and buy a reel.
Hope this is helpful.

I told you some leccys would be along in a moment!

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
If you only need less than 13A, the cheapest solution is to buy a 100m reel of flexible 1.5sq mm and fit your own plug and socket. Screwfix have yellow arctic cable for about £70 for 100m.

starfire

Visit site
For a 6A load, minimum of 4mm sq 3 core, but unless you introduce a 13a plug & socket into the lead, you would be unable to fuse it correctly (5a fuse needed)

Gives a volt drop of 5.94V (2.5%)

For a 13A load, minimum of 6mm sq 3 core, ok on a 16a mcb.

Gives a volt drop of 8.54V (3.7%)

Limit is a drop of 4%.

Suitable cable around £190 per 100m

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
This is not a fixed installation, so you are not bound by the voltage drop limits imposed by BS7671 on fixed wiring.

The largest cable you can practically fit into a a 13A plug is 2.5mm so that's what you should be looking at. Buy a 100 metre drum and fit your own plug and socket.

If this is for a shore power hook up, it won't be a 13A plug, the but blue 16A round industrial type plug and socket. In that case they can fit larger cables, certainly up to 6mm

In short, buy a drum of the largest cable you can afford, and make your own lead, but certainly not less than 2.5mm (which will carry about 25 amp maximum so is okay for use on a 16A circuit without extra fusing)

I have an extension lead of my own of similar length, made of 5 core 2.5mm cable, 2 cores for L, 2 cores for N and one for E (plus the braid), but it was a work of art terminating that into a 13A plug, and I had to try several different plugs before I found one that would accept that much cable.

VicS

Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can get a 100m mains extension lead from for use on the boat (I'm obviously 100m away from the sockets atm). I will draw around 6A (but 13A would be better really) and normal boat/caravan style ends.

Thanks,

Boo2

Yes I expect you will have to buy the cable and the end fittings to make your own.

Use a minimum of 1.5mm² as anything smaller will not be sufficiently robust.

Use Arctic grade flex to ensure flexibility when cold.

The resistance of 1.5mm² is 11.2 ohms /1000m or 1.12 ohms /100m
That means that for a 100m cable the total resistance will be 2 x 1.12 = 2.24 ohms. ( live + neutral)

At 6 amps this will result in a volts drop of 12.7 volts which is a little more than 5% of 240 volts.

While that should cause no problems it may make it unsuitable for a 13 amp load which would result in a drop of over 29 volts reducing your 240 volt supply to 210 volts.

If you do want more capacity then consider 2.5 mm² cable as suggested above but it will be very heavy!

Towsure and other caravanning suppliers will have the plug and socket for the cable ends.

Maplin have the cable

Remember that with high loads you must unroll the whole cable or it will overheat.

prv

Visit site
At those prices it starts to look cheaper to buy a generator!

Obviously no good for long-term stuff like dehumidifiers, but an option that might be worth considering if it's for tools.

Pete

DownWest

Visit site
Nother thought, don't try using a compressor or other syncronous motor on this length. The starting load will probably drop the volts so much it won't start and prob burn the motor. Seen that several times. 6mm min. for such a case.

prv

Visit site
Sorry duff info ... they used to have the cable!

I wouldn't buy stuff like this from Maplin anyway!

TLC for preference, and they're cheaper than Screwfix. Admittedly if you don't have a branch next door to the boat like I do, Screwfix might be more convenient and the difference isn't that much.

Pete

mickywillis

Visit site
Hi,

Thanks,

Boo2

If you are that far away, surely its not safe to run 100mtrs of cable along a pontoon?
Becomes a trip hazard which you would be liable for in the event of anyone becoming injured and them making a claim for injury against you.
Probably best to speak to the marina owners and ask their advice or try and get them to move you closer to a suitable power point?
Good luck trying to roll 100mtrs of 2.5 mm cable up! Don't think you'll find a suitable reel to put it onto unless you obtain a decent quality hose reel for the purpose?

VicS

Visit site
Good luck trying to roll 100mtrs of 2.5 mm cable up! Don't think you'll find a suitable reel to put it onto unless you obtain a decent quality hose reel for the purpose?
Yep a suitable hose real is excellent for the job. I have 100m on one, 1.5mm² I am sure, nearly fills it.

I dont know what you would do with 100m of 2.5 mm²

prv

Visit site
If you are that far away, surely its not safe to run 100mtrs of cable along a pontoon?

Who said anything about a pontoon?

Pretty sure he's working on his boat in the yard.

Don't think there's anything wrong with running a power cable across a boatyard.

Pete

GrahamM376

Visit site
As others have said, make yor own up. 100m of 2.5mm round flex should be around £90 from an electrical wholesaler and plug & socket under a tenner. We have around 80 metre 2.5mm extension when in boat yard and it powers kettle/fan heater etc without getting warm.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
FWIW I have a 50m extension lead (4skts on the drum) that I bought from Aldi a few years back for about 25 squid. It reaches from the house too the garage, 2 of those would do the job for 50 squid. As others have said, propably not suitable for heavy loads but for charging, lights or odd tools it would be fine.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
What no-one has mentioned is that apart from volt drop, the length of cable and resistance, may cause the safety device (RCD), at the shore connection, to become inopererative. I would not even attempt it unless you can have it properly tested by a good competent electrician.