? British Summer Time. ?

nortada

Visit site
Having an active interest in both Walton-on-th-Naze and Lagos, I keep an eye on daylight hours

Yesterday, Sunday 6th September; Walton, sunrise 0617, sunset 1928; Lagos sunrise 0710, sunset 1954.

My opinion and excellent lenght of day light, situated in the right time frame. Sensible breakfast before a gentle day sail but back in the bar before dark.

Pity it won't last but it could be better - daylight hours are not a man made concept but clocks are so with all of the other changes coming down the line, why not alter our time management and for a start stay on BST all year.

Better still, as a concession in David Frost's and Michael Barnier's negotiations (on fishing) agree that the UK will adopt WEST for the whole year. In the middle of winter UK sunrise 2 hours later but sunset (when you see it ? ) 2 hours later. Much easier to see whats going on in the coming fish war.

In Lagos sun set on the shortest day is about 1700 but if the EU adopts continuous WEST, that would become 1800.

Much better use of daylight.?

HissyFit

Visit site
It is only us humans that tie ourselves to the clock. Everything else in nature goes by the rising and setting of the sun. If we should abandon the seasonal changing of the clocks, I believe we should go back to GMT as that is what is in coordination with nature. Like with everything else, you'd get used to it.

The problem is not with the daylight, as there will still be the same amount. The problem is with the notion of getting up at a set time, going to work at a set time, coming home at a set time. If we could get away from that mindset then you wouldn't waste so much time sat in traffic at rush hour, and we'd reduce the related pollution and poor fuel economy.

The day that clocks go back in autumn is the most dangerous day of the year on the roads. It is not the darkness in itself that is the problem, since the darkest day is around the winter solstice, but the fact that the change of the clock plunges us into darkness suddenly. If we abandoned daylight savings, the change of sunrise and sunset times would occur naturally and gradually.

There has also to be a saving to be had from removing the lost man hours due to people getting the hour change wrong.

roblpm

Visit site
Having an active interest in both Walton-on-th-Naze and Lagos, I keep an eye on daylight hours

Yesterday, Sunday 6th September; Walton, sunrise 0617, sunset 1928; Lagos sunrise 0710, sunset 1954.

My opinion and excellent lenght of day light, situated in the right time frame. Sensible breakfast before a gentle day sail but back in the bar before dark.

Pity it won't last but it could be better - daylight hours are not a man made concept but clocks are so with all of the other changes coming down the line, why not alter our time management and for a start stay on BST all year.

Better still, as a concession in David Frost's and Michael Barnier's negotiations (on fishing) agree that the UK will adopt WEST for the whole year. In the middle of winter UK sunrise 2 hours later but sunset (when you see it ? ) 2 hours later. Much easier to see whats going on in the coming fish war.

In Lagos sun set on the shortest day is about 1700 but if the EU adopts continuous WEST, that would become 1800.

Much better use of daylight.?

I am addicted to timeanddate.com which is an amazing website.

I am from London originally and now live in Edinburgh.

After a lot of study I have decided that it is only possible to live in Scotland half the year. The weather is fine but the lack of daylight is not! However Lagos is nowhere near far enough South for October to March!!!

Sandy

Visit site
I never change my watch from GMT, why faf about with that hour when the sun still runs round the earth at the same time.

Some years ago I passed the remark that it was a bit chilly at breakfast in France, then realised that by the sun it was only 0500 UTC.

bdh198

Visit site

Surely if the UK adopts WEST for the whole year, UK sunrise and sunset will only be 1 hour later in the depths of winter?

WEST = GMT/UTC +1

John the kiwi

Visit site
The place that has got it seriously wrong is Queensland.

e.g today Sunrise in Brisbane was 05:53 and sunset 17:37

I would move the clock forward an hour to give an hour less in the morning and a more useful hour in the evening,
Ah Queensland! I have lived there and regularly(precovid) visit for work reasons.
Queensland is the only Australian state not to have daylight saving. This is (widely believed to be) because the electoral system has been constructed (rigged ) to give farmers and rural folk a disproportionate political influence. They are rightly concerned about the need to retrain the cows milking patterns twice a year and the effect that increased sunlight will have on the grass growth and fading of the curtains.
Its bollocks for the people that work in one state and live in the neighbouring state. There are lots on the border with NSW. They have to start work before they have gotten out of bed!
My experience of downtown Brisbane hotels is being woken at 5.30 am by construction workers and all sorts DIY daylight saving and starting work really early.
Flip side: In the resort of Noosa, north of Brisbane, if you want to eat out, do it early cos lots of the restaurants are shutting up at 8 pm. Cant blame them, they have to be open for the breakfast rush at 5.30 am!