??Portugal Back Into A State Of Calamity??

nortada

Visit site
Just realised that Portugal’s change of status coincides with the UK half-term holidays and Boris’ latest dithering over the possibility of a circuit breaker.

If UK holiday makers hope for a little late summer sun and treat Covid restrictions in Portugal with the same cavalier attitude they have in the UK - at €10,000 a time it could become a nice little earner in Portugal.?

ps The Algarve weather forecast for next week - not good.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Just realised that Portugal’s change of status coincides with the UK half-term holidays and Boris’ latest dithering over the possibility of a circuit breaker.

If UK holiday makers hope for a little late summer sun and treat Covid restrictions in Portugal with the same cavalier attitude they have in the UK - at €10,000 a time it could become a nice little earner in Portugal.?

ps The Algarve weather forecast for next week - not good.

Portugal is not on the UK's 'travel corridor' list so I very much doubt there are going to many takers for half term breaks involving a fortnight of self isolation afterwards

Coronavirus (COVID-19): travel corridors

So if it is really a reaction to England's policies then I suspect they have wasted their time.

nortada

Visit site
Portugal is not on the UK's 'travel corridor' list so I very much doubt there are going to many takers for half term breaks involving a fortnight of self isolation afterwards

Coronavirus (COVID-19): travel corridors

So if it is really a reaction to England's policies then I suspect they have wasted their time.

Not from recent experience, despite UK quarantine regs we still have numerous visitors from the UK.

To be fair, unlike some other nationalities, by and large, the Brits have played by the rules. Possibly they realise that the Portuguese police do not take prisoners, where on-the-spot fines are concerned. €10,000 would make a big hole in the holiday budget?

p.s.

See you edited your post after my first response.

In practical terms, rather like many people, I don’t think Portugal puts much store by what Boris or his Government does.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
the Portuguese police do not take prisoners, where on-the-spot fines are concerned. €10,000 would make a big hole in the holiday budget?

Police are given targets for fines to be issued, so they're not inclined to let people off with a warning. Generally, the population follow the rules better than UK, I've never heard a Portuguese complain that Covid regulations/restrictions breach their human rights.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I have been self isolating for 7 months pretty
Police are given targets for fines to be issued, so they're not inclined to let people off with a warning. Generally, the population follow the rules better than UK, I've never heard a Portuguese complain that Covid regulations/restrictions breach their human rights.
If I may be so bold on the statement about generally the population follow the rules better than the uk
If that was the case why is Portugal going backwards and Infections are booming.
I suppose it's just the brittish tourist.
These statements only correlate to the negative perception of the british people who are trying their best

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com

If I may be so bold on the statement about generally the population follow the rules better than the uk
If that was the case why is Portugal going backwards and Infections are booming.
These statements only correlate to the negative perception of the british people who are trying their best
Don't feel picked on. The Peninsular Spanish are well Bolshie too hence the crap state of Madrid now.

GHA

Visit site

You've got the wrong room......

1602774136791.jpeg

Seven Spades

Visit site
We have no immunity to this virus and I can see little point in government enforced restrictions we might as well try to look after ourselves and get on with life. many people have had this virus and really should not be restricted . The young are not vulnerable to the virus we are only deluding ourselves in thinking that this protects us, it is simoply delaying the time that we will get exposed.

Graham376

Visit site

In comparison with other countries, it's hardly booming. Porto, Lisbon and the Tejo Valley have been problem areas all along and the increase (in common with most countries) coincides with the return to schools and universities. Still very few cases in the Alentejo and the Algarve which is the main tourist area, despite UK tourism :)

I disagree that all of the British people are doing their best, middle aged an elderly may be and some of the younger generation also but, one has only to look at the number of raves, parties and street gatherings to see how a large percentage of 18 - 30 year old singles are behaving and they appear to constitute the largest rise in infections.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Portugal goes back to Calamity: masks ‘obligatory in busy streets’ - Portugal Resident

With Immediate Effect until the end of this month.??

A message for Boris on how to run a country❓
I don't understand the message bit.
Boris is tightening down, correctly IMO and is trying to avoid crashing the economy. Perhaps the young in the street crowds, should understand that they might not be fearful of the virus - but they should be fearful of being without a job.
I think Boris and co have made a decision that they will balance infections against space in the NHS - If we try and beat it by lock down, we will be paddling down this road for the next 4 years - and the lights will have gone off - permanently.

Graham376

Visit site
As I've said before, I'm no Boris fan but doubt anyone else without pandemic experience could have done better. I don't envy the government, it's a fine balancing act. A total lock down would reduce spread for now but, at the cost of the economy, business failures and unemployment leading to loss of homes for many. The last national lockdown didn't stop what we have now so, will another stop a third wave? I think local lockdowns are the way to go with travel to and from the areas banned with hefty fines for breaking the rules.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
You've got the wrong room......

View attachment 100695
OCh it's a forum were posts can be scrutinised not an old tory boys network were we all have to agree ,
It was a fair statement, and a fair response.
If we all nod our heads like the admiral dog we will never challenge anything in our lives.
I cannot believe how many members are agitated by a post that looks at the alternative and is happy to assume some one is being difficult, because they are with the op.
Senseless post

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Which, yours or others?:) I think we all reserve the right to agree or disagree as the mood dictates but thankfully most are reasoned debates although often off topic as now.
Ofc , mine and any one that disagrees with me.
The average, mean and median of any thread going of topic is around 5.6 posts in at this point the post has been answered and it turns into a free for all , even orcas get discussed which is not unusual as we are discussing Portugal.
I am stuck on my boat with 2 aspie girls , my crazy hound, my German shepherd, and my wife and its a new moon,, and I can assure you they all get affected.
Who's bright idea was that...
Back to topic is there any room in Portugal for a mad middle aged man

nortada

Visit site

Booming Algarve, population 1/2 million, total positive cases since start of pandemic 2,083, deaths 23 so how would you describe the UK stats❓

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Booming Algarve, population 1/2 million, total positive cases since start of pandemic 2,083, deaths 23 so how would you describe the UK stats❓
You have taken a part of the algarve, and now comparing with the uk surely you could use Cornwall as an example, high holiday visits no major cities,
Also population density over the summer would be much higher, due to tourists , so if the brittish behave themselves in the algarve, why not the UK or is it as I suspect led by the Brittish fascination about the negative narrative.
65million people in the UK , and some of the stories about a small house party say 4 people with no masks today, 300 people in liverpool ,
I like a bit of statistical work but even I cannot be bothered to see that it is such a low number it is pointless arguing about it.
See when I go out I see all the positives people wearing masks, bars with great social distancing , my pool finally opened got some great mitigation going on,
Every one avoiding each other , everyone being respectful
When I see someone without a mask I do not think negatively I assume they have a good reason .
I get on with my day doing the right thing as the majority of brits are doibg

nortada

Visit site
I don't understand the message bit.

Out to diner with a bunch of Portuguese friends yesterday evening, when the news came through that the Government was returning the whole country to State of Calamity, at midnight (a few hours later) so no chance of last Minute binges. New regulations clearly stated with no ambiguity. State of Calamity must be reviewed and, if necessary, renewed in 14 days and every 14 days there after. €10,000 fine for infringing the rules. Clear, concise, prescribed and unequivocal. Straight from the military manual on effective leadership.

Not really Boris’ style.

Result although many around that diner table did not like the government or it’s policies, they were unanimous in support of the way in which the President and PM are leading the country through the pandemic.

Fortunately the British Government’s track record was not raised.

That is the message bit.

Other threads that may be of interest