??For Those Stuck In the EU Beyond the 90 day Schengen Limit.??

nortada

Visit site
You are conveniently missing the point ,the Withdrawal Agreement is the same for all Union states .The rule are the same ,If you were in the state legal before 01 01 2021 .you can stay over the 90 days .
Its not difficult to understand .

And I do understand the the concept of the liveaboard link . I was one of its founder members .
One of the founder members - congratulations, a very useful sub- forum, provided it stays within it’s mandate to offer help to sailors over seas.

nortada

Visit site
Yeah I get that.......But what about the car.......is it still legal on the road with an otherwise driver?

As I don’t have a car in Portugal, not really my part of ship but it is my understanding that provided it has a valid MOT it is legal but if it remains in Portugal for more than 6 months, it should be matriculated (registered in Portugal) at considerable expense.

Occasionally, as a visitor, I drive hire cars on my U.K. driving license - don’t have a Portuguese license.

No doubt someone with greater knowledge than mine will be along to qualify and amplify this message,

billskip

Visit site
Or possibly puts a fair amount of effort into trying to help others.

What he doesn’t do is to descend into personal insults or take those who do very seriously.
IMHO I believe all that are "stuck" in the EU and "overstay" due to circumstances beyond reasonable control will not have any problems at all providing the leave at the first reasonable opportunity.
It's those that try to deliberately fly under the radar that will become entangled with the regulations.

I dont think for one moment any EU country has the intention of seeking to cause problems for anyone leaving provided the have reasonable excuse for their departure time.

Of course this will only be for the overstayers cought up in the covid/brexit situation, and not for those trying to "bend the rules"

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Of course this will only be for the overstayers cought up in the covid/brexit situation, and not for those trying to "bend the rules"

There are ways back from most countries but possible hotel quarantine, multiple flights and tests, overnight hotel between flights make it an expensive and virus risky business. Once direct flights open up, people will be expected to exit EU, we'll just have to wait and see what leeway they're given.

Surprised how many folks I'm meeting haven't bothered taking up residence anywhere and just intend to carry on sailing as before, avoiding marinas where presence would be reported. At the moment, their passports haven't been stamped but, if they fly back to the UK and then return here to the boat, they will be and time limited.

nortada

Visit site
If they can't be arsed to get their paperwork sorted, good riddance.
Bit harsh❓

We few have the luxury of been playing this game for a long time so have been able to keep abreast of events.

For others that actually work for a living, life, for the last few months/years has been fast, furious and fraught with worry.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Why is that harsh? It's a piss easy.

Not that easy in Portugal since Covid restrictions virtually closed many government departments, impossible to get appointments and emails often not being answered. Large backlog of people who were here well before 31/12 waiting to be processed and will be over the 90 days Schengen limit this week.

Many of those who are taking up residence will soon find it's only a short term relief anyway. It appears the five year temporary residence is being replaced by initial one year, followed by two times two years, with checks at each renewal to confirm their presence in country and settled status. They will then have to apply for permanent status.

Alicatt

Visit site
Yeah I get that.......But what about the car.......is it still legal on the road with an otherwise driver?
If you are legally resident and driving a foreign registered car then you become liable for the tax on the vehicle and possibly also a fine.
The exception to this is if you are a frontier worker and your company car is from the other country then you are allowed to drive it for work purposes, and you are also allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle while it is undergoing importation to your country of residence.

Been down this route when my Belgian wife borrowed my UK registered car to babysit our grand kids while our daughter and grandson were rushed to hospital, the police let my wife off with a warning and spelled out what the consequences would be if they caught her again. The same rules apply in the UK, as a British citizen you cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK with the exceptions stated above.
My car has now been imported to Belgium, something I planned on when I bought it, just never thought it would be this long before I did. As all the kids are grown up and have their own vehicles it is just my wife and myself so I put my car through a conversion to make it a light freight vehicle ie. more than 50% of the internal length of the vehicle is dedicated to cargo - back seats removed and a load bed fitted and the car imported then, car had to go through individual type approval and then as it is more than 6 years old no import duty to be paid, annual tax is €158 compared with €2800/year as a passenger car.
Conversion:
_DSC4165sm.JPG

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If you are legally resident and driving a foreign registered car then you become liable for the tax on the vehicle and possibly also a fine.
The exception to this is if you are a frontier worker and your company car is from the other country then you are allowed to drive it for work purposes, and you are also allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle while it is undergoing importation to your country of residence.

Been down this route when my Belgian wife borrowed my UK registered car to babysit our grand kids while our daughter and grandson were rushed to hospital, the police let my wife off with a warning and spelled out what the consequences would be if they caught her again. The same rules apply in the UK, as a British citizen you cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK with the exceptions stated above.
My car has now been imported to Belgium, something I planned on when I bought it, just never thought it would be this long before I did. As all the kids are grown up and have their own vehicles it is just my wife and myself so I put my car through a conversion to make it a light freight vehicle ie. more than 50% of the internal length of the vehicle is dedicated to cargo - back seats removed and a load bed fitted and the car imported then, car had to go through individual type approval and then as it is more than 6 years old no import duty to be paid, annual tax is €158 compared with €2800/year as a passenger car.
Conversion:
View attachment 112383
Just learn some thing new if its correct what you said .
I use to drive my partner mum car which is Dutch reg in the UK thinking it was legal the only thing I wasn't sure of is in Holland its the car thats insuranced not the driver they don't seem to have what we have , named driver.
I also use to drive it in Holland too .

Alicatt

Visit site
Same in Belgium, it's the car that is insured, though we did have to add my 23year old son as a named driver to my wife's insurance for her BMW as he is the main driver of that, he can still drive my range rover as long as he is not the main driver.

I have driven foreign registered cars and motorbike in the UK, and it was only after my wife got stopped that I checked into it in the UK too, and, yes, I was driving illegally by driving my Belgian motorbike in the UK with a UK driving licence and same with driving my wife's car. Now I have a Belgian driving licence which took a bit of effort to get with the same classifications on it as my UK licence as they don't want to give you the C1 and C1E (also D1 & D1E) without a full test driving a LGV, but as I tow heavy trailers with my RRS I needed it, in theory that should also allow me to drive my Belgian registered vehicle in the UK.
With a normal licence here I would only be able to tow up to about 1 tonne behind the RRS, but now with the C1E I can tow up to 3.5tonnes with the Range.

I had to surrender my UK licence when I got the Belgian one, not sure if now I can reclaim my UK one as the UK is now out of the EU, that is the next thing for me to look into when back in the UK :)

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Same in Belgium, it's the car that is insured, though we did have to add my 23year old son as a named driver to my wife's insurance for her BMW as he is the main driver of that, he can still drive my range rover as long as he is not the main driver.

I have driven foreign registered cars and motorbike in the UK, and it was only after my wife got stopped that I checked into it in the UK too, and, yes, I was driving illegally by driving my Belgian motorbike in the UK with a UK driving licence and same with driving my wife's car. Now I have a Belgian driving licence which took a bit of effort to get with the same classifications on it as my UK licence as they don't want to give you the C1 and C1E (also D1 & D1E) without a full test driving a LGV, but as I tow heavy trailers with my RRS I needed it, in theory that should also allow me to drive my Belgian registered vehicle in the UK.
With a normal licence here I would only be able to tow up to about 1 tonne behind the RRS, but now with the C1E I can tow up to 3.5tonnes with the Range.

I had to surrender my UK licence when I got the Belgian one, not sure if now I can reclaim my UK one as the UK is now out of the EU, that is the next thing for me to look into when back in the UK :)
I doubt the DVLC will check if you just claim you lost your original UK one.

Alicatt

Visit site
Tread careful on that one, I can only talk from the Spanish system, and they were very interactive with the DVLA on my change over, outstanding fines, points etc.
Yep, they are very interactive, lucky no points fines or anything like that on mine.
Others have said that they tried it and when they got back to Belgium they had to surrender their new licence as a letter was awaiting them on return, so very pro-active on it.