??For Those Stuck In the EU Beyond the 90 day Schengen Limit.??

syvictoria

Visit site
So, to summarise:
- If you were in Portugal before 31/12/20, you will be deemed to still be exercising your right to freedom of movement > 90 days.
- If you entered the country on or after 1/1/21, then Schengen rules apply

In light of current covid restrictions, that would seem to be an eminently sensible approach I would say.

syvictoria

Visit site
Just Portugal, I believe. I would imagine that other countries may take a similar stance, but I would also imagine that you would need to have been constantly present in that country since 1st January for said country to be able to afford you any protection from the Schengen rules. That's only my guess though.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
The Portugal News - ePaper Edition 1620 - page 8

One less worry for people.✅

rtboss1

Joined5 Nov 2001Messages3,749LocationEastern Med ish

I thought I explained that fact to you at the beginning of March.?

I spoke to a lawyer yesterday. EURO BRITS AIRE ..She told me that as long as I was legally in Greece efore 31 12 20 I have the right to stay in the country behond the 90 days ,as per the withdrawal agreement . Also I have a option to apply for residency until 30 June ,but don't have to apply if I do not want to. Also this date in June is not fixed in law ,just a date that the Greek government want a depart7 open to carry out this duty.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I would have supported this last March. Now... not so much. Am I alone in worrying about our long term civil rights under this government?

Civil rights have many faces. The majority have a right not to be infected by a minority who couldn't care less about the consequences of their actions. I'm surprised Portugal are saying they will welcome back tourists in a few months, seems the income matters more than health. 90 year olds haven't been vaccinated yet so no idea when the general population will be.

syvictoria

Visit site
Civil rights have many faces. The majority have a right not to be infected by a minority who couldn't care less about the consequences of their actions. I'm surprised Portugal are saying they will welcome back tourists in a few months, seems the income matters more than health. 90 year olds haven't been vaccinated yet so no idea when the general population will be.

I absolutely agree, and I certainly don't disagree with the current ban on foreign travel. If a stronger line had been taken early on, our death total might now be quite different.

Compared with what's gone before, this just feels slightly heavy handed and power hungry, and on the back of the police bill, I worry about the direction the government is heading in. However, I think I'm also starting to get covid-induced-cabin fever and perhaps seeing demons where there are none!

Anyway, definitely too much thread drift for here!!! :)

nortada

Visit site

rtboss1

Joined5 Nov 2001Messages3,749LocationEastern Med ish

I thought I explained that fact to you at the beginning of March.?

I spoke to a lawyer yesterday. EURO BRITS AIRE ..She told me that as long as I was legally in Greece efore 31 12 20 I have the right to stay in the country behond the 90 days ,as per the withdrawal agreement . Also I have a option to apply for residency until 30 June ,but don't have to apply if I do not want to. Also this date in June is not fixed in law ,just a date that the Greek government want a depart7 open to carry out this duty.

Sorry, I don’t recall you explaining anything to me and as to advice from a lawyer in Greece❓

My primary area of interest is Iberia so I suspect her advice would carry little weight here.

This thread is for the benefit for Brits, who are not residents caught in the EU, rather than Brits resident in Portugal, who, of course can be in Portugal for as long as they wish.

nortada

Visit site

78, I am in Phase 2 for the vaccine. Phase 2 hopes to start at the beginning of April but which April❓

Plan B is to return to the U.K. to get the jab but the chances of that are slipping by the day. We had hoped to fly back after 17 May but the latest talk is, late June will be the earliest we can return.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Sorry, I don’t recall you explaining anything to me and as to advice from a lawyer in Greece❓

My primary area of interest is Iberia so I suspect her advice would carry little weight here.

This thread is for the benefit for Brits, who are not residents caught in the EU, rather than Brits resident in Portugal, who, of course can be in Portugal for as long as they wish.

[IMG alt="nortada"]https://forums.ybw.com/data/avatars/m/94/94061.jpg?1576501865[/IMG]
nortada

Joined24 May 2012Messages13,018LocationSummer Walton, Winter Iberia
There are similar AIRE group a for all countries I believe.

Not aware of one for Portugal. If so, can anyone please advise Portugal contact details ❓

There may not have been a AIRE group in Portugal .but you did read the information ,regarding the EU withdrawal agreement rules for all EU countries unless there a different one.

Visit site
78, I am in Phase 2 for the vaccine. Phase 2 hopes to start at the beginning of April but which April❓

Plan B is to return to the U.K. to get the jab but the chances of that are slipping by the day. We had hoped to fly back after 17 May but the latest talk is, late June will be the earliest we can return.
My second ( after 4 weeks ) booked for Friday. The admiral has speeded things with production line jabs - as long as vaccines continue to arrive.