?? It Will Be Interesting To See How Far This Goes❓??

jordanbasset

Visit site
I think a 6 month French visa would be more appealing and more convenient than travelling to Hungary.
I have tried to work through that website as to how you can stay as a tourist for 6 months, initially it seems possible but when you follow the links through it does not seem to be allowed. It appears to be the normal 90 days in every 180, unless I am missing something?

Quiddle

Visit site
I have tried to work through that website as to how you can stay as a tourist for 6 months, initially it seems possible but when you follow the links through it does not seem to be allowed. It appears to be the normal 90 days in every 180, unless I am missing something?
My understanding is that it acts as standard schengen 90 day visa but additionally allows longer in France:
"For any stay in France exceeding 90 days, you are required to apply in advance for a long-stay vis. In this instance your nationality does not exempt you from requirements.
Whatever the duration of your planned stay, the duration of your long-stay visa must be between three months and one year. In order to extend your stay beyond the period of validity of your visa, you must apply for a residence permit at a prefecture.
During its period of validity, the long-stay visa is equivalent to a Schengen visa, enabling you to move around and stay in the Schengen Area outside France for periods not exceeding 90 days over any period of 180 consecutive days, under the same conditions as if you held a Schengen visa
."
6 months was definitely allowed in 2019 as I know an Ozzie who used it.

newtothis

Visit site
6 months was definitely allowed in 2019 as I know an Ozzie who used it.
Strines and Kiwis have unilateral agreements with a number of EU countries that allow 6 months on top of Schengen.
Have just renewed my NZ passport. The UK can act as a winter base. :)

Chris_Robb

Visit site
The problem here is that a Motor vehicle fall into a category that only has 6 month TA available - same as Aircraft, as opposed to 18 months for yachts. The French 6 months looks useful for the person, but the motor home will have a problem.... The Greeks are hot on vehicles, and I dont know how the others are record them.

Visit site
The problem here is that a Motor vehicle fall into a category that only has 6 month TA available - same as Aircraft, as opposed to 18 months for yachts. The French 6 months looks useful for the person, but the motor home will have a problem.... The Greeks are hot on vehicles, and I dont know how the others are record them.
I'm decades out of date but I was alloed to live in mymotor caravan for nearly three years because it was my only home and the Portuguese constitution says that everyone has a right to a home but perhaps the Greeks are less tolerant.

nortada

Visit site
If you look a my OP, my thinking was 90 days in Schengen, with the boat. Followed by 90 days in the motor home out of Schengen in the motorhome so hopefully the implications a vehicle in the EU could be avoided.

A number of places in the Algarve are increasing their capacity and facilities to encourage the motorhome community so I think it unlikely they will risk pissing off the self-same market.

As our future thinking is bound around duel UK/Portuguese residency, I stress as this is a point for discussion, I haven’t researched it in too much detail.

Last edited:

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I think Croatia will be in Schengen from the end of this year and will move to Euros in 2023. Unless something changes

There is a bit of a political impasse with Croatia - Germany, France and the Netherlands do not want Croatia to join until the updated Schengen systems are sorted out, Slovenia will veto until the border dispute around Piran Bay is sorted out, and Croatia also has border disputes with all its neighbours except Hungary and Italy.

The Croatians themselves don't see it happening until 2024, so perhaps Brits have a few years yet.

Croatia likely to join Schengen in 2024