£1,000,000 spent ...

Slon

Visit site
Elena Maria Barbara has big problems with launching. There is not enough depth at the pier. Elena Maria Barbara needs a 1000-ton crane and it can't be put directly on the edge of the pier. It will just fall into the water with the ship. The crane should make two movements and throw the ship further away from the pier.

Keith 66

Visit site
So she is next to the river, how deep is it? How do you think they used to do it when those ships were built originally? Lay over on her bilge on a simple cradle. Greased ways & a capstan to winch it out. Greased ways to the water. Ten strong men could do that by hand in a week.
Why do you need a crane?

38mess

Visit site
I remember when she came into the roath basin in 2005, I was working on board a coaster at the time, I went to check her out and it seemed she was a registered charity offering trips to sea in exchange for volunteering to work on maintaining the boat. The skipper was a Scot with a massive beard and who wore shorts and no shoes whatever the weather, nice guy and a skilled shipwright.
Next time I came to Cardiff about 6 weeks later she was tucked away in the corner of the roath basin looking rather worse for wear. I went aboard to see the skipper who was at that time living alone on the boat.
There were financial woes it seemed.

Next time we were in Cardiff around two years later she was in her present position about 100 yards from the water, under canvas with a load of shipwrights working on her. I can't believe she is still in the same position all these years later.
I don't know how they got here out and moved, crane and low loader I guess.

38mess

Visit site
She's under the white tent underneath 'cafe bar' they could lift her to the left of the picture which is Cardiff bay, which has an average depth of 4 MTRS. Or or lift and truck to roath basin at the top of the picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210126_125152.jpg
    Screenshot_20210126_125152.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 27