Powerboat replace old carpets .... any ideas ?? gelcoat maybe

MLuyken

Visit site
Hello,

I am new in this forum and just bought my first boat....on Ebay. It is a 19ft Powerboat from 1989 and still in reasonable condition. The only thing is that I want to replace are the old carpets which are everywhere on the interior of the boat . On the bottom and sides. I really do not understand who needs carpet in a boat, water and carpet just do not mix in my opinion.

I would like to take them out and replace the carpet on the floor with a rubber matting but the sides I do not know what to do with it. Under the carpet is the bare fibre glass and I was thinking maybe to apply some polyester coating to make it all look new and shiny again. I read about gel coating but am not sure if that would be the right application. Just to paint the surface is no option because the fibreglass structure will just show. Does any body have any ideas how to achieve a smooth polyester kind of finish on an old fibreglass foundation with glue remains (definately I will not be able to remove the carpet glue completely)

Thanks a lot for your help!!
Michiel

trying

Visit site
Flow Coat might be the answer. As used in lockers, bilges etc.

It is similar to gelcoat except that gelcoat is designed to go off when in the mold rather than open to the air, whereas flowcoat can be applied by roller and goes off to leave a hard wearing finish.

Cliveshep

Visit site
One thing you will find out straight away is that the carpet stuck to the sides and floor is there for a reason which is that GRP in contact with water one one side and you breathing on the other gets condensation and then mildew like you wouldn't believe. I'm making the assumption that it is a cabin boat here and if so stick with the carpet upholstery on every hard surface you can, it doesn't have to be thick, in fact the thinnest and cheapest foam-backed is by far the easiest to form to shape and glue back on. The method of gluing, and you'll probably want to use Evostick, is brushing generously onto the hull and sticking the carpet straight onto the wet adhesive, which is very effective. The downside is the fumes. Getting some forced ventilation, fan/duct or similar (you can hire those) is definitely something you'll want to do for your health's sake.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
You can get anti-condensation paint with bits of cork in it. But it is pricey & looks like sandtex when finished. Just replace with even dearer foam backed vinyl (lasts about 10 years) or cheap rubber backed bathroom carpet (lasts a similar time).

Refueler

Visit site
Do not use standard Evostick - a) it will have serious fumes while working, b) can melt the foam back of the carpet.

Use solventless impact adhesive or the special spray glue that carpet fitters use.

I second the opinions of others that you will likely regret going back to GRP finish, the moment you touch the surface - you will get damp, cold and later mildew. You need something to separate you from the single GRP skin and anything like carpet tiles, cork tiles, even ceiling tiles does the job.

My cabin has office grade carpet glued around the sides and honest - it's the best answer ! You can lay in your bunk and not worry that you'll wake up in morning wet through from being against bare GRP.

Cliveshep

Visit site
Quote: Do not use standard Evostick - a) it will have serious fumes while working, b) can melt the foam back of the carpet.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct on fumes, but it does no perceptible harm to the foam back, I've done it on countless old boats with great success. I think the solvents/whatever are absorbed by the foam too quickly. Note what I did say, brush generously onto the HULL - not the carpet, and bed carpet into into wet adhesive. Whatever the theories, on a pragmatic note it works.

Refueler

Visit site
Ok - I know when I did it one time - the foam developed loads of holes !! But yes I applied to the foam not the hull.
Still think solventless is better way though - that way no dangerous fumes which are flammable as well.

ms1

Visit site
I would re-carpet.
Lining carpet (very thin) for the vertical surfaces and for under foot use a carpet designed for cars (wont smell if wet) you can get both from one of those motor caravan conversion companies.(eg AVA Leisure in Kent). If its a nice boat then put it back as it was rather than slop something on the floor.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
I would be careful not to make your boat to 'clinical'. Shiny white boats look great at the boat show, but living in such a cold bland environment would soon wear off.

Carpet also adds to sound dampening, warmth and condensation prevention.

If you are planning to sleep below, then I would consider renewing the soft furnishings, but try at least living with the boat for a while before doing anything too drastic. Unless of course you have bought her to go angling, then you will need to be able to keep her clean.

just some thoughts.... I did think like you when I took over my boat, but now I would hate to lose the homely feel of her. Yes I do have twangs of envy going aboard a new boat of a friends, but quickly realise the factories by using internal mouldings have ripped away all the character.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would re-carpet.
Lining carpet (very thin) for the vertical surfaces and for under foot use a carpet designed for cars (wont smell if wet) you can get both from one of those motor caravan conversion companies.(eg AVA Leisure in Kent). If its a nice boat then put it back as it was rather than slop something on the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]You have just given me an answer for a question I did not ask, thank you..

I presume light colours are available?

Do you by chance have a contact number?