Best Flybridge ±45ft of 2000+ era, and why....

Elessar

Visit site
My friend had an azi46.
Very stylish.
Twin transom doors brilliant.
Downsides were a very poor galley and very cramped flybridge seating.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
The galley in the Azimut 46 is huge in the two cabins version. The three cabins version is okay but nothing overly large.
Flybridge seating cramped? I never remember it that way.

Those pictures from Scala are wrong. The first is the main deck of the 55, the second is the flybridge of the 47/48.

Yes 47/48 is a brilliant boat, possibly did everything better to the 46 by changing design stance.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
The galley in the Azimut 46 is huge in the two cabins version. The three cabins version is okay but nothing overly large.
Flybridge seating cramped? I never remember it that way.

Those pictures from Scala are wrong. The first is the main deck of the 55, the second is the flybridge of the 47/48.

Yes 47/48 is a brilliant boat, possibly did everything better to the 46 by changing design stance.
Yes you're right, I've updated the post. I think the burgundy got to my Google search :)

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Elessar is correct reference the year 2000 Azi 46 layout, see pic. I do agree, a nice boat but let down with the flybridge layout.

View attachment 126487
Thanks, I got the wrong boat :( I had look at some photos, the fly layout seems very congested - curved seating, no table let alone a dining area and a huge sunpad. I suppose it could be adapted. Maybe.

Azi 46 looking aft
1638013704412.png

Flybridge seating
1638013740564.png

Last edited:

sharpness

Visit site
Thanks, I got the wrong boat :( I had look at some photos, the fly layout seems very congested - curved seating, no table let along a dining area and a huge sunpad. I suppose it could be adapted. Maybe.

Azi 46 looking aft
View attachment 126511

Flybridge seating
View attachment 126512

Totally agree Scala. The Azi46 is great boat, but its use of curved seating and the large sunpad on the flybridge uses too much space in my opinion.

Elessar

Visit site
Thanks, I got the wrong boat :( I had look at some photos, the fly layout seems very congested - curved seating, no table let alone a dining area and a huge sunpad. I suppose it could be adapted. Maybe.

Azi 46 looking aft
View attachment 126511

Flybridge seating
View attachment 126512
Yep that’s the one I remember. Belonged to roger rat of this forum. Galley was poor too. May have had space in it but useless for cooking. If you don’t cook much onboard and can accept the flybridge then it’s lovely.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Yep that’s the one I remember. Belonged to roger rat of this forum. Galley was poor too. May have had space in it but useless for cooking. If you don’t cook much onboard and can accept the flybridge then it’s lovely.
Ah yes he did have one. I really like the look of them. And the interior on the later boats (47s) which has two good twin guest cabins (not bunks) is a winner. The 47 flybridge layout is completely different to the 46, looks better thought out in the pics.

1638025474849.png

Elessar

Visit site
Ah yes he did have one. I really like the look of them. And the interior on the later boats (47s) which has two good twin guest cabins (not bunks) is a winner. The 47 flybridge layout is completely different to the 46, looks better thought out in the pics.

View attachment 126534
Rogers was I think badged a 47. It had 2 proper doubles. But the curvy fly seats. And that poor galley.
Agree the one in your pic looks good.

Edit Rogers was the one in sharpness’S post #24. I must have been wrong about it being a 47.
His was the 2 cabin version so like in the bottom diagram. Maybe it’s the 2 or 3 cabin option that makes it a double not bunks rather than the evolution from 46 to 47?
Note the galley does look huge but it’s all space and no usability.

The saloon was particularly nice and combined with the big cockpit was a lot better than my T46 in that regard.

Last edited:

Elessar

Visit site
SEALINE F43
I have to say, I really liked my 2001 Sealine F43, very spacious, great aft cabin with separate head and showers, also good separation when guests on board, using the forward
bow cabin and they could use combined head/shower, great seakeeping boat. Engine room access tight unless you lift the floor and climbing over the back a bit of a pain but you get use to that.

PRINCESS 45
I do like my current 2002 Princess 45, easy to get on, decent access to engine room and a great boat. Probably the P45 has it for me, but F43, Azi-42 etc., all very nice boats...!
Sealine F43 another good choice. Especially if you can find a (rare) 3 cabin version.
The F43 and T46 are very similar in layout. As I’ve owned both I’ll contrast them.

cockpit. Much bigger on T46. But the steps from the bathing platform are taller making access for my arthritic mum slightly harder. T46 2 steps up from saloon, 3 on F43. Lovely stainless doors in T46
T46 win

flybridge. A little bigger on the T46 allowing a small table. Bench drivers seat terrible on both. I swapped mine on both, on the T46 to a swivel one. (Like they fitted to the F37 and T47 why oh why did they leave it off the T46!!) T46 win.

Side decks. Too narrow on the F43 and one of the worst bits of the boat. Good on the T46 but access from the cockpit not perfect. Diesel fillers both to starboard on the F43 and one each side on the T46 with no balance pipe. Despite this annoyance T46 clear win.

Aft cabin. Bigger in the T46 and the lovely big window in the back makes it a win.

Saloon. Square and spacious in the F43. Lovely table. Round and 10cm smaller in T46. Table hopeless. F43 clear win.

Inner helm. I’ve done about 250 miles from the inner helm on the T46 already and if it’s a grim day I don’t bother take the flybridge cover off. Comfy, spacious and great visibility. Proper wipers. Did about 20 miles in the F43 in many years and wouldn’t dock from inside. T46 clear win.

Front cabin island double in T46 clear much better than F43 offset double. Heads has separate shower. T46 clear win.

Galley. Not much in it. Bigger fridge and separate freezer on my T46 but that depends on the option for the 3rd cabin. Evens really.

3rd cabin/dinette. Dinette on F43 wins compared with dinette version of T46 as can convert to a double. Mine has bunk cabin with a 3rd heads instead of the dinette which works for me.

Engine room. Little hatch with ladder on the F43 taking you to a big space in front of the engines. Access between the engines poor.
T46 more space between to engines but zero space in front and no ladder.
F43 win.

Finally the trim and finish on the T46 is better, but the F43 improved during its production run.

They made loads of 390/410/F43 and they are all basically the same. So an easier buy and a lovely boat.

For me the T46 is a worthwhile upgrade but a later F43 is still a lovely boat.

Finally, Sealine made the T46 and T47 at the same time. From the front you can’t really tell them apart.
The T47 has no aft double so has a more spacious cockpit that’s level with the saloon, a large lazarette and a crew cabin.

Deck storage an issue on both the F43 and T46 as no lazerette.

Last edited:

John100156

Visit site
I generally agree with the above assessments of the F43 - never had a 46/7, so cannot comment. The FB on the F43 is not great, unless you have a later one where the seats swivel, the large raised sunbathing deck is good, but I prefer a decent size seating area.

Just note though stating the obvious, running costs and berthing fees may increase with a bigger boat, but IMHO, go for as big as you can and can afford....!

paul salliss

Visit site
This is impossible to reply to as everyone will just defend their own decisions, based on what I have seen having spent hours on board these types of boats and owned the odd one or five, if you want seakeeping and value and rock solid build then Rodman have a shout, if you want a compromise and more chintz then a Azimut or a Fairline but have seen more issues on Princess then any other brand but before those owners leap from the sofa and go crazy that’s just based on my own observations. I like a Windy but admit to not having been out on one

paul salliss

Visit site
Sealine F43 another good choice. Especially if you can find a (rare) 3 cabin version.
The F43 and T46 are very similar in layout. As I’ve owned both I’ll contrast them.

cockpit. Much bigger on T46. But the steps from the bathing platform are taller making access for my arthritic mum slightly harder. T46 2 steps up from saloon, 3 on F43. Lovely stainless doors in T46
T46 win

flybridge. A little bigger on the T46 allowing a small table. Bench drivers seat terrible on both. I swapped mine on both, on the T46 to a swivel one. (Like they fitted to the F37 and T47 why oh why did they leave it off the T46!!) T46 win.

Side decks. Too narrow on the F43 and one of the worst bits of the boat. Good on the T46 but access from the cockpit not perfect. Diesel fillers both to starboard on the F43 and one each side on the T46 with no balance pipe. Despite this annoyance T46 clear win.

Aft cabin. Bigger in the T46 and the lovely big window in the back makes it a win.

Saloon. Square and spacious in the F43. Lovely table. Round and 10cm smaller in T46. Table hopeless. F43 clear win.

Inner helm. I’ve done about 250 miles from the inner helm on the T46 already and if it’s a grim day I don’t bother take the flybridge cover off. Comfy, spacious and great visibility. Proper wipers. Did about 20 miles in the F43 in many years and wouldn’t dock from inside. T46 clear win.

Front cabin island double in T46 clear much better than F43 offset double. Heads has separate shower. T46 clear win.

Galley. Not much in it. Bigger fridge and separate freezer on my T46 but that depends on the option for the 3rd cabin. Evens really.

3rd cabin/dinette. Dinette on F43 wins compared with dinette version of T46 as can convert to a double. Mine has bunk cabin with a 3rd heads instead of the dinette which works for me.

Engine room. Little hatch with ladder on the F43 taking you to a big space in front of the engines. Access between the engines poor.
T46 more space between to engines but zero space in front and no ladder.
F43 win.

Finally the trim and finish on the T46 is better, but the F43 improved during its production run.

They made loads of 390/410/F43 and they are all basically the same. So an easier buy and a lovely boat.

For me the T46 is a worthwhile upgrade but a later F43 is still a lovely boat.

Finally, Sealine made the T46 and T47 at the same time. From the front you can’t really tell them apart.
The T47 has no aft double so has a more spacious cockpit that’s level with the saloon, a large lazarette and a crew cabin.

Deck storage an issue on both the F43 and T46 as no lazerette.

kashurst

Visit site
Those Sealine English built F 40 somethings were a big old boat and represented decent value to be fair.
We had a Sealine F43/410. It was our second boat. Now nearly 20 years later and on boat number 6, I think the F43 was the best one overall. Very easy boat to live on and was very good at sea.