transport issues

alsedo

Visit site
so I have located a fine merry fisher 815 in France about 50km north of Calais, transport to Ireland is my issue, I am having a job even getting a quote as everyone seems to be up to their eyes. I have a friend with a flat bed that can move it for me but it needs to be on a trailer, trailers are like apparently like hens teeth at the moment. I came across this one second hand, do any of the merry fisher 815/805 folks know if it would fit on this? I am not as worried about the towing as it would never be going very far, 1 km maybe. Its an indespension src10 its the keel that would concern me, Thanks

EDIT* so I just spotted that they have a carrying weight of 2750kg, I guess that would not be an option so. Should I be looking to buy a cradle to put it in or are these bad for transporting a boat?

Attachments

• eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZm...jpg
    eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZm...jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 26
  • eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZm...jpg
    eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZm...jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

chamac

Visit site
Morning folks
Alsedo, that trailer might work but would need some mods to work long distance.
When you say 1 kilometer.. that won't get you very far. Can you elaborate?
If you are transporting on a truck, you could build a dedicated galvanised cradle that would hold the boat.
It could be used to store your boat on the hard later so could be a good investment and simple enough to build.
A low loader would be fine but a standard truck or trailer might push the height limits.
You will probably be a Convoi Exceptionel Cat 1 (under 3 meters) so up to you if you want to advertise the fact
and get the required permits, maps and paperwork. Weight would be ok on a truck.
Ferry height should be ok but check bridge and cable heights en route.
Did you try the likes of,
Delivery - Shiply
Could be cheaper and less stressful.
I have the vehicle to tow but I suspect I was on the limit weightwise. The 805 is probably smaller.

alsedo

Visit site
Thanks for the reply's unfortunately I am time poor so the voyage via sea is not a runner yet.
chamac sorry my post is as clear as mud, it made sense in my head! I live a couple hundred meters from the harbor in south east Ireland so if it was on a trailer I could launch it my self, I have agricultural and construction machinery that can tow no problem. My friend with the transport moves mobile homes he has several rigids but no low loader. The cradle idea is appealing to me Id imagine a simple bunk would offer the most support? hard one to manufacture when the boat is not beside you, I guess if I made everything adjustable it would work. I might give the boatyards a call to see if I could rent one, If I go the cradle option it would be a boat yard job anyway. I put up an ask on shiply never used it before thanks (y)

chamac

Visit site
You could always take it round by sea in small stages. That would be great experience and challenge.
Definitely an option if you saw a good high pressure cell coming and had the time.
Boat would be well capable. Shes Cat B.
Just inform your insurance company and keep VAT receipt on board.
You might need a flag registered if you use UK waters.
The French usually insist on de registration before they will release a boat. (brokers anyway)

chamac

Visit site
Another option could be to hire a delivery skipper seeing its a coast to coast delivery.
That trailer might work with two bunks fitted either side or raise the rollers and keep the Roller Coaster function.
She would ride a bit high at the ass but might be ok for a short run.
That rear beam would foul the prop and guard.
Obviously you would need more depth to launch or recover her.
Should'nt be too hard to find a MF805 near you to get measurements and design it off.
Mine is a bit away and she is in the marina.
Going the cradle route, one could be built from 4" box with Acrow style adjusters.
A bit wider that the one in the photo attached.
You could use the idea to make a full rectangular cradle, use it to transport her home on a truck
and then fit an axle to the cradle for shunting it to the slip. A tractor would handle it easily.
I attached a photo of my boat on the trailer for reference. The one on stands is not mine.
She needs to to be loaded maybe 8" aft next time so she is fully supported by the rear bunks.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 33
  • MF805t.jpg
    MF805t.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 33

alsedo

Visit site
Thanks Chamac, I am going to look into a cradle route, I have a few axels & acrows lying around just need to get dimensions right. I am going to get a few prices on delivery but I would be mad jealous letting someone else having the craic bringing it around. Might just have to make the time

alsedo

Visit site
So I went with the easy option! I got the MF 815 delivered by South West boat transport. Great company to deal with, and well priced too, dealt with a gentleman called Michael Whelan. She is copper coated that will need a few touch ups but the yard in France gave it a quick power wash and it cleaned up fairly well. Going to give it a a decent power hose again then light sand with wet and dry and I think I should be good?. This was copper coated in September 2014 and hauled and washed each year apparently.
I spent the day pulling everything apart to see exactly what goes where. Full change of filters, belts and oils, a polish of the topsides and good to go I think. Have any of you merry fisher/antares owners had something from the rudder end to the prop protector to stop ropes/nets going behind the rudder? you can see the holes in both the rudder and the protector. Final question (for this post) If I clean the anodes with emery board/wire brush are they good for another year? I hope to get back into diving so I will be able to check them during the year? Thanks for any info

Attachments

• IMG_5932.jpg
    IMG_5932.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5941.jpg
    IMG_5941.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5940a.jpg
    IMG_5940a.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5947c.jpg
    IMG_5947c.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-5933.jpg
    IMG-5933.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-5936.jpg
    IMG-5936.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-5937.jpg
    IMG-5937.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-5939.jpg
    IMG-5939.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 53

chamac

Visit site
Great that you got her home.
I would say just clean the anodes and let them erode away.
Looks like they are fairly fresh so waste of cash and effort to replace themnow.
Some marinas and moorings are worse than others for anode erosion.
Only way to find out is launch her and see.
Don't know about the rudder to keel band connection but would like to know too.
Plenty of badly marked pots around where I am.
Well Wear, she looks great and will shine when you are finished buffing her. :)

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Have any of you merry fisher/antares owners had something from the rudder end to the prop protector to stop ropes/nets going behind the rudder? you can see the holes in both the rudder and the protector.
I don’t see how you can have anything attached between the skeg and the rudder without affecting the steering, although that might be a lack of imagination on my part :unsure: The Antares has the rudder sitting on a bearing in the skeg so different arrangement.
Unusual arrangement around the bow thruster, looks like someone has cut it out with a jigsaw. Is that usual on these boats?

41409E5F-94FD-4E6A-82F5-0AA88F025782.jpeg

chamac

Visit site
Looks like there may have been a bearing there one time or an option for one.
Maybe bolt on an extension to make it like the MF805. You can see it under the rudder.
Probably little chance of a rope getting in there unless you were reversing.
untitled.jpg

alsedo

Visit site
Good idea re bolt on an extension, Thanks for the photo Chamac. Yes Jamie the bow thruster arrangement is standard on the 815, there must be some design reason for it. It caught my attention straight away, I am not sure of the reason as the motor lifts vertically out of the forward berth. I've hooked the better half and kids into internal cleaning today so Id better get on with external power wash & preping, Its icy cold out there today so id imagine my hands will be too numb to type later! . A cabin heater will be top of the list once I get her in the water, I'm following the previous thread about fitting one closely.

Croftie

Visit site
Yes Jamie the bow thruster arrangement is standard on the 815, there must be some design reason for it. It caught my attention straight away, I am not sure of the reason as the motor lifts vertically out of the forward berth.
I think the reason is that the hull is moulded without the lower part. If the customer wants a bow thruster then the lower moulding is added to create a bowthruster tube. If no thruster is speced then a different lower moulding is added to "smooth" the hull. Saves drilling the hull and fitting a tube.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I've hooked the better half and kids into internal cleaning today so Id better get on with external power wash & preping, Its icy cold out there today so id imagine my hands will be too numb to type later!
New boatitis, the urge to do things you know are going to be bloody unpleasant but you do them regardless o_O

alsedo

Visit site
New boatitis, the urge to do things you know are going to be bloody unpleasant but you do them regardless o_O
yep suffering badly from it alright, the bath tub is full of manky fenders and a pillow case in the washing machine full of dock lines. I think I'm pushing it now.......