Deben Entrance

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Whatever it has I will do a drone video at low water so you will all be able to see it

yep, any chance that you could offer a Pilotage system, with your Drone ?
Surely your drone, piloted by you, could guide a Yachtsman safely through the Deben entrance remotely ?
The Drone onboard camera could guide you when piloting that Drone ?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Surely your drone, piloted by you, could guide a Yachtsman safely through the Deben entrance remotely ?
I'm trying to think of East Coast places that still have leading lights/marks . Brightlingsea and possibly Shotley Marina come to mind. Would be great to have them back at Felixstowe. Anybody use their own made up marks ?

Bigplumbs

Visit site

You would be possible but a little time consuming. The Deben Entrance is feared a little too much I think it is not that bad in reality

Chae_73

Visit site
Agreed, in moderate conditions it's not fearsome. However I'd be wary of going in before the new season's bouyage is out, and the new chartlet provided by the wonderful ECP.

I noticed this season that some brave souls were "hanging a left", ie turning towards the the east well before reaching West Knoll, on the way out. Whilst it seems as though you should be well over the bar upon reaching Knoll Spit, there are still shallow bits to seaward of that!

Bigplumbs

Visit site
If you look in this video you will see what the Bar was like near the Ferry at this time in 2020. It is from about 1 min onward. I filmed this in November 2020

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I'm trying to think of East Coast places that still have leading lights/marks . Brightlingsea and possibly Shotley Marina come to mind. Would be great to have them back at Felixstowe. Anybody use their own made up marks ?

Well when was last at the Ferry the old Leading Marks were still there but not useable now I guess as the approach into the Deben has changed by about 45 degrees ; the mark were placed in possition when the approach into the Deben was more from the East direction , but nowadays I understand that its moore from the South so pointing directly into the River so nearest land based Leading Marks would be probaly the Horse Sand or Bawdsey ;

Maybe wrong but thats how it appears to me

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
The historic trail through Harwich goes to two lighthouses that were leading marks in the 18th or 19th centuries. But they illustrate why they aren't much used on the East Coast - they were made obsolete by changes in the channel. Leading marks for (say) the Deben entrance would need to be moved pretty much annually, if not more often. The other problem with leading lights is that modern street lighting can make them difficult to pick out. The entrance to Dunbar harbour has two sets of leading marks, but the seaward ones are difficult to pick out at night (not too easy in the day, unless you know what you're looking for!)

johnalison

Visit site
The historic trail through Harwich goes to two lighthouses that were leading marks in the 18th or 19th centuries. But they illustrate why they aren't much used on the East Coast - they were made obsolete by changes in the channel. Leading marks for (say) the Deben entrance would need to be moved pretty much annually, if not more often. The other problem with leading lights is that modern street lighting can make them difficult to pick out. The entrance to Dunbar harbour has two sets of leading marks, but the seaward ones are difficult to pick out at night (not too easy in the day, unless you know what you're looking for!)
The archipelago on Sweden's west coast has an established but complicated route marked by a succession of marks, lights, and painted squares on rocks, all the way from Gothenberg to Stromstad. It is said that you can do the whole route in the dark just by going from one light to the next, something I find hard to do even in the approaches to the Backwaters.