Updated Notice 8 for sailing pleasure craft to and from the UK

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
So now there is an online version of form C1331. I can't find any requirements on timing of submission of the form before or after departure from UK or arrival in France. But as you still have the option to send it by post presumably it isn't urgent. Email it from Cherbourg the morning after perhaps?

dansaskip

seabear.uk
So now there is an online version of form C1331. I can't find any requirements on timing of submission of the form before or after departure from UK or arrival in France. But as you still have the option to send it by post presumably it isn't urgent. Email it from Cherbourg the morning after perhaps?
Or perhaps don't bother and then claim it must have got lost in the post? One of the joys of sailing to me has alway been being able to just get on your boat and sail off to anywhere you choose. Of course fulfill the necessary formalities when you arrive in a foreign country but why as a citizen of UK should I have to tell the authorities that I am off sailing somewhere. I find it outrageous Where has freedom gone?

LiftyK

Visit site
”For craft carrying 12 people or less….”

May I refer HM Revenue & Customs to the custom of using correct grammar in formal documents? From the Cambridge dictionary:

“Less and fewer with a noun
We usually use less with uncountable nouns. We use fewer with plural nouns:
I do less work at weekends than I used to.
Better cycle routes would mean fewer cars and fewer accidents.
Warning:
You will often hear less used with plural countable nouns in informal spoken situations, but traditionally it is not considered to be correct”

Neeves

Visit site
Or perhaps don't bother and then claim it must have got lost in the post? One of the joys of sailing to me has alway been being able to just get on your boat and sail off to anywhere you choose. Of course fulfill the necessary formalities when you arrive in a foreign country but why as a citizen of UK should I have to tell the authorities that I am off sailing somewhere. I find it outrageous Where has freedom gone?

I'm puzzled - why does documenting your departure in a yacht impose on your freedom. Every time you leave your country your passport is checked, your name is included in an aircraft's (or cross channel ferry) manifest. But maybe you eschew aircraft and ferries and only drive in the UK (where your number plate is probably digitally recorded a number if times). You obviously don't use a credit card as it has your name on it...... :)

Methinks you either complain too much or forgot to add the smilie.

Jonathan

st599

Visit site
"If you are arriving from outside the UK (and this includes the Channel Islands)" Does that mean the UK includes the Channel Islands, or that arrival from the Channel Islands is included in outside the UK?

st599

Visit site
Also, what happened to the App that they've been Beta testing for over a year? It's now morphed in to an Excel spreadsheet with instructions such as "The C1331 tab cannot have carriage returns"

Concerto

Visit site
Back in 1982, I sailed on the QE2 both ways across the Atlantic. When I left, my parents saw me depart. However when they walked back through the departure hall, my father saw a small book on one of the desks and picked it up. He was shocked to find it was a complete list of passengers on the QE2 that included home addresses and phone numbers. He thought this was a list for potential thieves to use, so took it home. I only found out about it on my return.

So we have never had that "freedom" at all. dansaskip, maybe you started sailing during the period of EU membership that had the right to travel between member states, which we no longer have. Back in the 1960's I remember my father having to fill out forms for UK Customs before departure and then having to wait with a Q flag raised. As we usually sailed from either France, Belgium or Holland back to the Medway, we were rarely boarded but know our journeys had been monitored by the Coastguard watch points and at Sheerness where there used to be a Customs office. We just accepted that this was all part of going foreign, something that we now have to do again after leaving the EU.

Sandy

Visit site
Also, what happened to the App that they've been Beta testing for over a year? It's now morphed in to an Excel spreadsheet with instructions such as "The C1331 tab cannot have carriage returns"
I suspect that some poor 'app developer' has not been paid and stopped development on it.

dunedin

Visit site
Form C1331 has existed for decades, long before the B chaos.

This was needed (though often not done) for returning from the Channel Islands - or in our case Norway. It is just because of the B factor there will be a huge increase in volumes.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I wonder what would happen if we all (forumites) decided to sail/motor to France for every weekend for the whole of next year. Of course, most of us would have pressing concerns that meant we had to cancel our previously completed C1331 s . Would the system stand up to this unforeseen use of our new border freedoms? As we know from the pandemic, Spreadsheets are valuable tools in data validity!

Or will ordinary use just stuff it up anyway?

Fascadale

Visit site
I must have got this wrong but:

If I depart the UK for the EU then , yes I must report, but if I depart the UK to NI then I am not required to report and then if I depart NI for the EU I do not need to report

Am I correct in my interpretation of this nonsense?

awol

Visit site
I must have got this wrong but:

If I depart the UK for the EU then , yes I must report, but if I depart the UK to NI then I am not required to report and then if I depart NI for the EU I do not need to report

Am I correct in my interpretation of this nonsense?
You may need the differentiation between UK/GB/NI, EU/RoI. I think GB->NI->RoI-> EU = no report but I'll let you go first.

And I think you can take a ham sandwich with you if you go that way.

Last edited: