PYH KICKING OUT 50% OF THEIR LIVABOARDS

Concerto

Visit site
MDL Chatham did the same to 32 boats at the end of March. The marina lease with the dockyard owner clearly stated no liveaboards and this was included in the berth holders licence which the boat owners agreed to. During the lockdown the liveaboards became more visible and the marina was forced to implement an ablutions cleaning routine. So at the end of the current lease at the end of March, they had to leave - despite still being in lockdown.

Some marinas do allow liveaboards but they are more expensive and require you to pay rates. Ramsgate is one, but this is council run marina.

Visit site
Plymouth Yacht Haven are getting rid of 50% of their livaboards. I managed to keep my berth for now. Is this happening at other marinas. How hard is it now to get a berth in uk as a livaboard.This is very worrying. Can not live in the EU now. Can not afford housing in UK.
Why can you not live in EU now?

Last edited:

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
This is clearly discrimination. What are the 50% of liveaboards doing to deserve to stay?

The most likely explanation is that whilst they are effectively living on board, they aren't officially doing so and they have a shore address where they're on the electoral roll

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I believe Plymouth Yacht Haven has at least one liveaboard who's been there over a decade. When the local elections were on there were at least two or three people receiving election correspondence there (i.e. on the electoral roll with the marina as an address).

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
When I was in PYH admittedly over 10 years ago I knew at least half a dozen liveaboards and the office had a mailbox with pigeon holes for people to receive mail.
What has prompted the clearout? and why only 50%

Moodysailor

Visit site
It's a tough state of affairs, but is the reality of sailing in the UK - our country is setup up for land based dwelling and cannot cope well with transient dwellings. My wife and I have a desire to give up our rented accommodation and spend some time circumnavigating the UK whilst working from the boat (we are now both full time WFH), but without a shore based address this will be highly unlikely.
The way the marinas are setup and how our taxation system is run this is unlikely to resolve itself, so you either accept it and run the risk of being moved on with no notice, or live on land.

Black Sheep

Visit site
This is a political thread.
Eh? I can see that it has the potential to turn political, but I can't see it's political at all at the moment.
It is a problem that crops up occasionally here - living aboard isn't easy.
The options are to find a marina/harbour that allows it, or to fly under the radar. Marinas that accept liveaboards do exist, but not always easy to track down, and tend to be quite different in character to your standar leisure marina.

Sailfree

Visit site
Ref Jetogo 888 Quote " Can not live in the EU now." End Quote

Currently lots of US citizens moving into our area of Portugal - The silver coast.

It may not be your wish to become a resident of another country but Portugal does appear to welcome people that are not a burden on the state.

The US citizens must provide health insurance (they get a reduction in premium as its so much cheaper in Portugal) and show they are financially independent. I am aware of one estate agent that has recently arranged property purchases for 4 US citizens and currently has another 5 on his books looking! For retired UK citizens I believe the S1 form ensures the NHS reimburses the cost of the cheaper Portuguese health care for UK citizens.

Ref livaboards we lived on our boat in Nazare Marina for 18 months while our new house was being built and I am aware of a number of UK livaboards in the Algarve. I am unaware of any problems living aboard in marinas in Portugal. Most of these UK livaboards I believe have Portuguese residency. If things have changed its still probably possible to rent short term to initially obtain residency then transfer address to the marina.

Just food for thought. An amount of info in Cost of Sailing thread I started.

Happy for others that know more to add advice or correct me if necessary.

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
My wife and I have a desire to give up our rented accommodation and spend some time circumnavigating the UK whilst working from the boat (we are now both full time WFH), but without a shore based address this will be highly unlikely.
Year ago, when we led a rather nomadic existence, we used an accommodation address. Plenty will forward mail for a nominal extra charge, to any address in the UK, which could include a marina or poste restant at a post office. Of course, proving the address with a utility bill may be a bit harder, but I have used a mobile phone bill, and there's no reason that couldn't have your accommodation address on it.

st599

Visit site
The US citizens must provide health insurance (they get a reduction in premium as its so much cheaper in Portugal) and show they are financially independent. I am aware of one estate agent that has recently arranged property purchases for 4 US citizens and currently has another 5 on his books looking! For retired UK citizens I believe the S1 form ensures the NHS reimburses the cost of the cheaper Portuguese health care for UK citizens.

If the OP wants to keep his job in the UK, then there are significant tax implications for his employer. He also needs the right to work which is very limited in scope under the current agreement.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Most of the popular liveaboard marinas in the Med are happy to have liveaboard although most cruiser will only be there full time over the winter months and then there always a percentage that will go off for several months ,
the same marinas are half empty in the summer month so having liveaboard in the winter helps to cover their cost ,
What can upset them is when cruiser turn up and start drilling sat dish on the pontoon leaving bike or dinghy blocking the pontoon or keep complainting about things and you can't blame them.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Eh? I can see that it has the potential to turn political, but I can't see it's political at all at the moment.
The options are to find a marina/harbour that allows it, or to fly under the radar. Marinas that accept liveaboards do exist, but not always easy to track down, and tend to be quite different in character to your standar leisure marina.
Seems like it's only a UK problem.

TiggerToo

Visit site
it is political, because it is a discussion about how one should run/administer the common good (the "polis"). I have nothing against this. At all. In fact, I think the ban on political discourse in these pages is wrong. Writing about sea-horses and anchoring is political. Discussing limitations on "liveaboards" in marinas is political.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
My wife and I have a desire to give up our rented accommodation and spend some time circumnavigating the UK whilst working from the boat (we are now both full time WFH), but without a shore based address this will be highly unlikely.
Just get a mailing address. Ghostmail are very good. The only shortcoming I've found is that they won't allow a driving license to be sent to their address, so you just get a renewal and worry about that in a decade.