VP D2-50

Ammonite

Visit site
I'm toying with the idea of replacing a MD2040 saildrive with a D2-50 and 130s. Does anyone have any experience with the latest MDI units? I know there have been lots of problems, recalls etc with the earlier versions but I'm hoping that now they are on version 20 or whatever they have finally got it sorted? Please don't suggest I fit a Beta or rebuild the existing engine! :) I'm aware of these options and its view's on the D2-50 I'm after. Thanks!

dunedin

Visit site
Reading some of the detail on MDI failures, one plausible suggestion is that mounting on the hot side of the engine is a large contributory factor - due to the combination of heat plus vibrations. They recommended removing and fitting at least on the engine compartment wall to reduce vibrations, and reduce heat slightly.
If doing a new installation might be worth considering.
(D2-55 on MDI three)

Ammonite

Visit site
Reading some of the detail on MDI failures, one plausible suggestion is that mounting on the hot side of the engine is a large contributory factor - due to the combination of heat plus vibrations. They recommended removing and fitting at least on the engine compartment wall to reduce vibrations, and reduce heat slightly.
If doing a new installation might be worth considering.
(D2-55 on MDI three)
Yes, I've read this too, although the local VP agents say this isn't the issue and that is was due to the quality of the unit, or lack of it and that they have to replace very few now they have been improved but the cynic in me thinks they would say that, wouldn't they ;-)

Tranona

Visit site
My D1 30 from 2015 was in the "dodgy" batch and MDI was replaced following a recall in 2019. No problem with either the original or the new, but have not done a lot of hours.

andyc352

Visit site
I'm toying with the idea of replacing a MD2040 saildrive with a D2-50 and 130s. Does anyone have any experience with the latest MDI units? I know there have been lots of problems, recalls etc with the earlier versions but I'm hoping that now they are on version 20 or whatever they have finally got it sorted? Please don't suggest I fit a Beta or rebuild the existing engine! :) I'm aware of these options and its view's on the D2-50 I'm after. Thanks!

I fitted a D2-55 F with a MDI over 10 years ago and it’s never given any trouble. On reading lots of horror stories of engines not starting, I fitted an emergency start switch which bypasses the MDI unit but have never needed to use it.View attachment 122671View attachment 122671

Beneteau381

Visit site
I did a lot of work on a setup on an Ovni in 2020. We finally got the Swedish techs here to Portugal. The issue was being caused by feedback from the negative isolation relay. They put a diode in and the issue was solved. The latest iteration of the MDI box seems to be ok now.

dunedin

Visit site
My D1 30 from 2015 was in the "dodgy" batch and MDI was replaced following a recall in 2019. No problem with either the original or the new, but have not done a lot of hours.
My latest one was from 2016 and failed this year. Checked all serial numbers and definitely not on the official “dodgy batch” list.
Checking this list was what alerted me to the 2011 build engine having the MDI replaced in 2014 also, per our purchase.
Not having an emergency bypass option, had to abort cruise and sail back to base. Intermittent problem so eventually Managed to restart to get back into harbour then wouldn’t stop, so resorted to manual stop lever.
So don‘t get complacent that MDI issues only apply to a few items! Fortunately I had still the 2014 version so swapped that back on and so far so good.
Otherwise happy with D2-55

Beneteau381

Visit site
My latest one was from 2016 and failed this year. Checked all serial numbers and definitely not on the official “dodgy batch” list.
Checking this list was what alerted me to the 2011 build engine having the MDI replaced in 2014 also, per our purchase.
Not having an emergency bypass option, had to abort cruise and sail back to base. Intermittent problem so eventually Managed to restart to get back into harbour then wouldn’t stop, so resorted to manual stop lever.
So don‘t get complacent that MDI issues only apply to a few items! Fortunately I had still the 2014 version so swapped that back on and so far so good.
Otherwise happy with D2-55
The issues would appear to being caused by "flyback" from relays as the coils are switched. Simplistically speaking a bit like an ignition coil generating hi voltage. The guy I was assisting asked how it could be made bullet proof. I said put a mechanical system on like they used to fit. VP price was too much but Beta made up a harness and panel for a very reasonable price. Then after the techies found out what was causing it they fitted a flyback diode to the negative earth isolation solenoid, gave him some spare mdi boxes and also a free mechanical loom and panel! I actually had spotted the spike on my multimeter.

Slowtack

Visit site
My 2017 D1-30 is on its fourth MDI unit...................fingers crossed..............but I have installed a simple starter switch bypass as recommended by the Volvo Penta agent............

Tranona

Visit site
See post#5. Neither of mine have failed or given any sign of the problems. However, one low hours (170 on the original and now 90 on the new) may not be representative. Nowhere near as many reports on forums as 3 or 4 years ago, although Slowtack above still having failures.

Volvo still have around 50% of the new boat market so large numbers going into service each year. Guess if it really was still an issue it would be out in the public domain. Would not put me off buying one again.

If you are still concerned the manual start is easy to install and the manual stop already in place and easy to use.

Slowtack

Visit site
The engine itself is fine mechanically..................as is the saildrive................the electronics are the problem and VP dot seem to have resolved this. Check out US fora.

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
I had a new D2 50 fitted in 2019. Now done 160 hours and never missed a beat. Interestingly the dealer replaced the MDI whilst they were taking the wrapping off the motor on the pallet.

riverteign

Visit site
The MDI fitted to our D2-40 as part of the recall failed so the problems are on-going. Frustrating and pretty difficult to understand why they can’t fix it but, that said, is very easy to fit a bypass so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Ammonite

Visit site
In addition to the regular MD2040 panel I have additional gauges for oil pressure, voltage and water temperature already installed. How difficult would it be to connect these in parallel with the MDI readout? I'm assuming the sensors won't support two outputs and I would probably need to incorporate some form of change over switch?

Worth bothering with or just go with the start override?

Last edited:

Moodysailor

Visit site
Hi, a lot of chatter on the MDI units, so that is well covered.

One thing that you may want to consider is the physical size of the 130S lower casing. Depending on a) what generation S/D you have on the 2040 and b) how the external (lower) cutout was done in the hull, when I worked at a dealership we had a few cases where we had to enlarge the hull opening to install the 130S.

It's not a big issue, just adds a bit of time to the install to grind out and put in a few extra layers of GRP.

Ammonite

Visit site
Hi, a lot of chatter on the MDI units, so that is well covered.

One thing that you may want to consider is the physical size of the 130S lower casing. Depending on a) what generation S/D you have on the 2040 and b) how the external (lower) cutout was done in the hull, when I worked at a dealership we had a few cases where we had to enlarge the hull opening to install the 130S.

It's not a big issue, just adds a bit of time to the install to grind out and put in a few extra layers of GRP.
It originally had a 120S-E from 1999 but now has a 120S-D after the cone clutch expired!