Sails.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Went out for a nice short trip around our local waters the other day. However, the uv strip decided it fancied a bit of freedom and came a bit unstitched. On return, quick drop, fold and off to our local sail doctor for a bit of sewing.

We've been thinking for a while about a new, smaller headsail to replace our well used old fashioned No 1 deck sweeping Genoa. As doctor sail pointed out, it's kinda 1980's.

My first stop with previous sails has been Crusader. So a phone call or two, Piccies and measurements sent, new one will be born in November. We popped the old one back up, still a few more miles left in her yet. But looking forward to that fab crispy rustling of new canvas.

That's last week. ... Met up with my oppo yesterday who is fresh back from a delivery to UK. His brand new sails arrived just before he left, so this morning, let's get them rigged.

Big sails, Hanse 445. New headsail went up great. But my friend really has ordered them a year in advance of his next transat. So off with new on with old.

Same with new main. We checked it out, rolled up and off into under bunk storage. Still will have that crispy crinkly though!

Now the old main has been off to the same sail doctor, looks good. But my least favourite facnor sail sliders were their usual unco operative self. By the time we had got them on and the reef lines rigged, we had a fair old beam wind on the pontoon so only got one batten in and I escaped doing the rest tomorrow...I'm very extremely busy. ?

So that's new sails, don't you love em?

Also with us was a friend who's cat we delivered earlier on this year to Lanzarote. I'm kinda getting to the point now, yeah, I know.

Soo. They are both off transat one this year, one next. So the discussion got on to spare sails and downwind modern code zero/ cruising chute/ whatever the flavour of the month name is.

I don't think big light airs sails are worth the bother for long distance. Anyone here used them? On the odd delivery, I've had that kinda stuff up for a few hours in three weeks kinda thing. Anyone else had proper use? Do they work? It's a lot of wonga to sit in a bag. They are unconvinced. Will be interesting to see what they do.

All tips appreciated. ?

geem

Visit site
We have an old fashioned boat with twin poles. Solent rigged so we can run both headsails down wind for a Transat. We do however, love to get main and asymetric spinnaker up (on a pole) if conditions allow. Nicely powered up in light winds its a pleasure.
Onroute from Falmouth to the Algarve we have flown the spinnaker 7 times. There is just me and the misses onboard plus the dog but she doesn't help much. It's not too hard to get it all up and down with a bit of practise ?

D

Deleted member 36384

...I don't think big light airs sails are worth the bother for long distance. Anyone here used them? On the odd delivery, I've had that kinda stuff up for a few hours in three weeks kinda thing. Anyone else had proper use? Do they work? It's a lot of wonga to sit in a bag. They are unconvinced. Will be interesting to see what they do.

All tips appreciated. ?

Rival 41C, Sail Training Boat. The objective of this boat was to sail and install order and team work, not a holiday or RYA Courses. I sailed it with a standard suit of sails hanked on before the owner boat a Ghoster for it. The Ghoster transformed light wind sailing from ineffective No 1 Genoa and full main. It sheeted to the quarter, hence was a large sail. In the context of what this boat did, it was used often whenever the light wind weather arrived. I can't remember figures for speed, but it did make a difference.

I think your comment about a few hours in three weeks is probably ball park, but the park is big! In the summer it was used regularly and obviously less so at either end of the year.

If sailing is the objective, then they work. We also had a cruising chute on the Rival and spinnaker on another boat, hence the Gohoster was mostly beam reach to close hauled work. Keeping it in context, that was how the Rival was designed to be sailed, with a Ghoster when conditions suited. Fast forward to now and I own my own, with Vectron sails, FB Main and Roller Reefing genoa. In light winds, the boat under performs and I am inclined to reach fro the donk in conditions that the Ghoster would have been effective. I do not know how that translates into a modern hull and rig design, that is far more efficient.

geem

Visit site
Rival 41C, Sail Training Boat. The objective of this boat was to sail and install order and team work, not a holiday or RYA Courses. I sailed it with a standard suit of sails hanked on before the owner boat a Ghoster for it. The Ghoster transformed light wind sailing from ineffective No 1 Genoa and full main. It sheeted to the quarter, hence was a large sail. In the context of what this boat did, it was used often whenever the light wind weather arrived. I can't remember figures for speed, but it did make a difference.

I think your comment about a few hours in three weeks is probably ball park, but the park is big! In the summer it was used regularly and obviously less so at either end of the year.

If sailing is the objective, then they work. We also had a cruising chute on the Rival and spinnaker on another boat, hence the Gohoster was mostly beam reach to close hauled work. Keeping it in context, that was how the Rival was designed to be sailed, with a Ghoster when conditions suited. Fast forward to now and I own my own, with Vectron sails, FB Main and Roller Reefing genoa. In light winds, the boat under performs and I am inclined to reach fro the donk in conditions that the Ghoster would have been effective. I do not know how that translates into a modern hull and rig design, that is far more efficient.
We are similar in as much as we sail boats from the past. We are in the fortunate position to be able to take advantage of modern equipment that wasn't around when out boats were built.
So like you we benefit from fully battened Vectran main and Genoa. Fully battened mizzen with large roach, Twin headsail furlers, performance orientated asymetric shute (larger than the original bell shaped spinnaker it originally had), folding three blade prop. We also have a far bigger mizzen staysail for off the wind light air sailing. With six sails, not including storm jib we have limitless sail combinations. We don't get bored on long passages since there is always another sail we can try?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
@capnsensible Please do take this as a compliment, but re your detailed first post, and the lengthy intro before actually getting to the subject, I am reminded of that great raconteur Tom Cunliffe who loves to spin a tale (preferably over a full pint mug) - you are also a great story teller.
He he, thank you!

I learnt a fair bit from Mr Cunliffe about sailing.....but as someone slightly taller than the spreaders on an Anderson 22, his hollow legs meant I could never match his ability to take a glass. On the odd occasion our paths crossed it was always great fun!

But he is streets ahead on spinning a tale. Respect!

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Flying coloured sail willearn you a Fatwa on all the relevant sites concerning our brand. Apparently some self-appointed Imam decided that a Watson has to be slow.

Notwithstanding, we fly our asymmetric at the drop of a hat, as soon as the angle permits and have done so in winds of up to 30kts.

While we are currently a coastal cruiser, I am seriously toying with the idea of sailing her across to have her nearer to home, Covid and all. I would not hesitate to fly a kite on passage, except perhaps at night when I could not see an approaching squall.
She has shown herself to be remarkably stable going downwind, with little attention needed at the helm and not much rolling.