YouTube merry go round.

doug748

Visit site
Here is a sad piece of business.

Couple of YouTube video hacks decided to leave off living in a van to follow their destiny, sail the world and find themselves in more complete harmony with nature and their real selves., etc, etc.

They bought a Rassy with a superb teak interior, looks immaculate:

Which they then partially wrecked sticking in a load of birch faced plywood and tacked together drawers:

After the first trip, the round the world adventure was off and the boat is up for sale:

They are glad they lived the dream, need to press on with the next adventure, find themselves and unearth their real selves etc, etc. They are "done with that chapter and moving on to the next"

All in little more than a year.

Minerva

Visit site
Some of the Sailing "youtubers" are really very good; some fantastic story tellers (Magic Carpet) some really good videography (Expedition Drenched / older Delos), Some come across as really nice, competent folk (Sailing Florence) and some youtubers come across as Self aggrandising a**e***es.

The folk you linked too tended to fall into the latter category.

Stemar

Visit site
When a Rassey's bouncing around and you're out of sight of land, it's as scary to an inexperienced sailor as any other boat. In bad weather, to misquote a saying, a Rassey doesn't give you happiness, it just gives you a better class of misery

A friend and I had plans for a cross channel trip. Conditions were marginal, so we decided to have a look. We cancelled when we saw a Rassey showing far more of her bottom than we thought was decent in the Needles Channel

Kelpie

Visit site
Some of the Sailing "youtubers" are really very good; some fantastic story tellers (Magic Carpet) some really good videography (Expedition Drenched / older Delos), Some come across as really nice, competent folk (Sailing Florence) and some youtubers come across as Self aggrandising a**e***es.

The folk you linked too tended to fall into the latter category.

And some who actually do the whole interior redesign and new technology thing really well (Uma). Unlike, it appears, this lot.

Still, kudos to those who actually get out there off their backsides and give it a go. Instead of just sitting at home pontificating on a forum in between day sails. Not that there's anything wrong with you that, if that's what you want to do.

Moodysailor

Visit site
Bloody millenials! ??

Their hippy naivety comes across a bit annoying, but somewhere in there, I kind of admire their bravery - at the end of the day, they have done what I am still dreaming about, whilst I sit with the "security" of my 9-5....

Sailing clearly isn't for everyone, every generation there is someone who has the fantasy locked in their head and gets knocked sideways by the reality of life on board.

Stemar

Visit site
Sailing clearly isn't for everyone, every generation there is someone who has the fantasy locked in their head and gets knocked sideways by the reality of life on board.
Every generation? I reckon it happens a bit more than that. IIRC, the Azores and the Windies used to be good places to buy boats from people whose dreams of world cruising had gone sour

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Sounds like Abandon Comfort, pretty girl on the thumbnails but a pretty boring couple in reality, bought a HR at a knocked down price from a Scotish bloke (30k?) bought their sales pitch and wanted to see a young couple sail the world.

Spent a load of time not doing a lot, including actually sailing then sold it for a descent profit (60k?) which they talked about investing in property.

Pretty much from then on I started to lose my interest in YouTube vlogs.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AbandonComfort/videos

robmcg

Visit site
I think it's indicative of the YouTube sailing generation. Today, largely thanks to YouTube, people see this wonderful, idyllic life of warm weather, sundowners and lazy sailing. The new norm is also to go 'big' in aspiration, even on little or no experience. The reality is often harsher and more mundane than the sanitised version presented on YouTube channels. This is not a criticism of the content creators out there making videos but it can lead to a somewhat false reality for those following in the footsteps. Let's face it, who wants to see a 12 hour motor in flat calm in the rain! If I have any issue at all, it is around the Patreon bit - a choice, yes but if you felt like you were contributing to someone's dream of sailing, would you not feel a bit short changed if they sold up after a one week passage?

Sandy

Visit site
'A smooth sea never made a skilful sailor'.
Makes this one a frustrated sailor.

Still it did have the advantage of several hours at the of a high end of a F4 with a genoa sheet in each hand, chariot like, and a wind angle of 179 ° to port or starboard gybing as needed. One of those rare days that make the 0245 hours alarm call to get out on watch worth it.