Penguin Refrigeration, Havant - any good?

Richard10002

Visit site
I suppose my question is: "Has anyone had any experience of Penguin Refrigeration in Havant, Good or Bad?

Looks like I'm going to have to replace the Waeco CRX50 fridge I bought in May 2016. 3 flashes of the red light suggest the compressor has a problem and I can see myself throwing good money after bad in diagnosis and attempting a fix.

I did quite a bit of googling and youtube watching, and did whatever diagnosis testing I could find. Bypassed the thermostat. Turned it off for a whole day, then back on. Checked the voltage, (Lithium batteries, so 13.3V or so at the fridge).

In the end, having seen some very useful Youtube Videos by Penguin Refrigeration, and an extremely attentive email exchange, I've sent the controller to Penguin Refrigeration for testing. The idea being that if it's failed, they can send me a new one for £130. If it hasnt failed I have a different problem.

They have now had it for over a week, and just keep telling me they will let me know their findings once they have tested it. When that might be is anybodys guess - so I probably need a new controller at £130 in order for anyone, to diagnose and fix.

Perhaps they are a huge firm, fitting out multi million pound yachts, and my job is insignificant, or maybe they are just very busy?

I don't have the motivation for a fight with Penguin, so a new fridge is the easiest solution.

Once I get a new fridge, I may look at a repair and sale of the old one, but I'm stitched into a corner for now
:(

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Don't know the company or anything about them. However, maybe worth considering that a lot of companies are working with reduced staffing levels these days and not everything gets done immediately. My local instrument calibration company is one such, what took a couple of days now takes ten.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
They've been mentioned several times on refrigeration threads as being the "go-to" people for a lot of refrigeration issues. Not a recommendation - I don't live anywhere near them and haven't used them - but their name pops up regularly on here.

Zing

Visit site
They are a good outfit in my view. I bought new fridge and freezer parts, replacement parts, tech help. Stick with them.

Elessar

Visit site
I suppose my question is: "Has anyone had any experience of Penguin Refrigeration in Havant, Good or Bad?

Looks like I'm going to have to replace the Waeco CRX50 fridge I bought in May 2016. 3 flashes of the red light suggest the compressor has a problem and I can see myself throwing good money after bad in diagnosis and attempting a fix.

I did quite a bit of googling and youtube watching, and did whatever diagnosis testing I could find. Bypassed the thermostat. Turned it off for a whole day, then back on. Checked the voltage, (Lithium batteries, so 13.3V or so at the fridge).

In the end, having seen some very useful Youtube Videos by Penguin Refrigeration, and an extremely attentive email exchange, I've sent the controller to Penguin Refrigeration for testing. The idea being that if it's failed, they can send me a new one for £130. If it hasnt failed I have a different problem.

They have now had it for over a week, and just keep telling me they will let me know their findings once they have tested it. When that might be is anybodys guess - so I probably need a new controller at £130 in order for anyone, to diagnose and fix.

Perhaps they are a huge firm, fitting out multi million pound yachts, and my job is insignificant, or maybe they are just very busy?

I don't have the motivation for a fight with Penguin, so a new fridge is the easiest solution.

Once I get a new fridge, I may look at a repair and sale of the old one, but I'm stitched into a corner for now
:(
i went to them when I needed a fridge fixing in summer in a hurry and they said they don't do fridges any more.
Nauticool in Poole were superb.

Pasarell

Visit site
i went to them when I needed a fridge fixing in summer in a hurry and they said they don't do fridges any more.
Nauticool in Poole were superb.

There are 2 Penguin companies. Penguin Engineering in Hayling Island (I think) who do all sorts of water systems and fitting. Penguin Refrigeration in Havant are the Frigoboat agents in the UK. I've always found both are very helpful but especially the refrigeration people. I would be surprised if they aren't doing it anymore. As someone said, the go to people

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
Penguin Refrigeration, I can highly recommend. I have two of there systems on board, fridge and freezer. The fridge stopped working properly after 12 years, and rather than trying to sell me a new one, they recommended Rob Wells. Fridge now fixed by Rob. I would recommend both of them!

Richard10002

Visit site
I sent them a gentle reminder and the test was done today... so all good with Penguin.

Not all good with the fridge - the controller tested as working fine, so the issue is something else.

I'm in Manchester and have a couple of recommendations for fridge engineers, so its just a matter of deciding whether to throw more money at diagnosis, with the possibility that I am told I need a new fridge or condenser. If the latter, I'd buy the whole fridge, given the cost of new condensers, then fitting.

Thanks for all the replies - all positive about Penguin.

Daverw

Visit site
Not sure your mean new condenser as this is only a coil with a fan, only issue with this is a leak which is relatively easy to fix, if you mean compressor that’s a different ball game and new unit probably more cost effective, BTW, I’m a fridge engineer and it’s the labour that would swallow up the cash

vas

Visit site
out of curiosity, isn't the evaporator plates and this tiny capilary tube the ones that fail more often?
or blocked filters?

Richard10002

Visit site
Not sure your mean new condenser as this is only a coil with a fan, only issue with this is a leak which is relatively easy to fix, if you mean compressor that’s a different ball game and new unit probably more cost effective, BTW, I’m a fridge engineer and it’s the labour that would swallow up the cash

Sorry! I do mean compressor... I've made that mistake a few times but have mostly spotted it before clicking "send".

Given that the controller has tested fine, and assuming that the power supply is OK, (Lithium Battery Bank, so 13.3V at the fridge on the digital meter, which doesn't drop when turning it on), it seems to me that it can only be a problem with the compressor.

Daverw

Visit site
As said you will hear the compressor switch on, slow rumble, if it’s running the larger of the two pipes should get colder and the smaller one should get hotter, even if it’s lost some gas you should feel a temperature difference between them. If it’s running with loss of gas it will not pull much current anyway. The compressor it self are about £120 but fitting it is not easy unless you can braze and then you have to regass. An option would be to remove the compressor unit (Condensing Unit) and take it to a local fridge company, not a marine one but shop or AC one, if they were to do it in their workshop this may be cost effective as it would only take about 1 hour to fit compressor, pressure test, vac out and recharge.

dslittle

Visit site
If you need an alternative in the same area try Rob Wells, 07909 950979.
He fitted a new refrigeration unit for me and did a very neat job.
I’ve used Rob Wells as well and he did a brilliant job for me. Highly recommended.
Additionally, I’ve had dealings with Penguin and found them very good (and they recommended Rob Wells to me!!!)