Ignoring COVID-19 regulations

Newboy6458

Visit site
Guys. Get real.
One size fits all and hammer to crack a nut.
Guidelines have been turned into law where should has been used instead of must.
Common sense cannot be used under any circumstances. However plenty of wriggle room left for the elite and selfish.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Forum Anchoring COVID Police Alert...!!!

?...?...?‍♂️

I can’t think that all these boats have a “reasonable excuse” for staying over night away from the place they are living, and that’s only the ones who forgot to turn their AIS off! If the police bothered to get a launch out they would probably do quite nicely with all the PCNs they’ll be able to issue.

View attachment 91497

Each and everyone of those little pink AIS dots has a past track showing them arriving at Newton Creek today (yep, I checked them all - I seriously need a life).

On a more serious note, it’s not a good look that so many yacht owners (already seen as a “privileged class” in the eyes of much of the public and press) are giving the Regulations the Dominic Cummings middle finger.
It’s a stupid, ill considered law that deserves the middle finger. If the government wants to govern well it needs to be fair and logical. This curfew is unenforceable and pointless.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
So renting a rabid dog and leaving it in your house (for example) would provide you with a perfect excuse to go sailing and stay onboard overnight since you could employ the "escape risk of harm" excuse.

Genius. If only I had a boat with a cabin then I'd definitely try this.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
It’s a stupid, ill considered law that deserves the middle finger. If the government wants to govern well it needs to be fair and logical. This curfew is unenforceable and pointless.
Agree and if necessary I'll pay the modest fixed penalty out of the mooring fees I've saved during the lockdown.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
You think my post was "aggression"? You need to get a life, as does the OP.

Not quite the response I was expecting .

It must bother you though . Otherwise you would just go ahead and do what you think is best .
No one is stopping you.

Deep down I think you are a decent law abiding bloke . :)

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Surely it depends on whether anchoring is deemed to be part of sailing. We are allowed to pursue our sport for as long as we wish even, presumably, overnight. Night angling/fishing is allowed. So maybe just a fishing line over the stern?

Sharky34

Visit site
Oh dear, another sad post from one of the forum police force. Staying overnight on a boat, either alone or with one's wife/partner, is going to introduce absolutely no danger to anyone else. People need to be sensible, not religiously follow mindless rules.
Rules is rules, who are you to decide whether people can break them?

Halo

Visit site
We can only fight cv19 by people modifying their behaviour in ways that cause some inconvenience and cost.
We pay the Government to make rules to protect us from each other’s behaviour.
If we don’t accept the Governments rules and advice then we cannot expect others to do so and are hypocrites if we criticise Cummings, idiots who jump off Durdle Door or Beach mobs who flood hospitals as they did in Weston Super
Mare

Stemar

Visit site
It's a perfectly apposite comparison. No one, not even that idiot chief constable from Wales, could argue that 69.9 mph is safe, and 70.01 is dangerous, but the fact remains that one is legal, like going home at night, the other isn't, like spending the night on your boat, unless you've really pissed the missus off.

Very few legal lines make sense when you zoom into the line itself, but it has to be drawn somewhere, and this one wasn't drawn with anchoring yotties in mind. Of course, it doesn't matter where you draw the line, some will ignore it, some will argue for a legalistic following, most will moan about it.

It's irrelevant for me, because Jissel's still stuck in the club compound, but my version of cruising at 75 is that I'd be happy to spend the night at anchor or on my mooring, but not to visit a marina or spend the night on the club pontoon.

Newboy6458

Visit site
Very true Stemar, but the given law is not an option, it’s obligatory.
However any law that is going to be ignored and also be virtually unenforceable is to my way of thinking an incredibly bad law .

Sharky34

Visit site
Very true Stemar, but the given law is not an option, it’s obligatory.
However any law that is going to be ignored and also be virtually unenforceable is to my way of thinking an incredibly bad law .
Our Government (Boris) made a big play of announcing the new "5 levels", which are supposed to control lockdown/easing reactions.
However, even with the SAGE scientists stating categorically that we are still at "Stage 4", Boris wants to drop it to "Stage 3".
He insisted on that & SAGE said no, so instead, he went ahead with moving to "stage 3" arragements, with the excuse "we are transitioning".
Its a bloody farce, if even Government can break their own rules!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
The regulations set out the price to have prosecution set aside via a fixed penalty notice. But if you didn't pay that and were prosecuted what is the actual penalty for the offence? I can't find that in the regulations. Maybe that would indicate the perceived seriousness of the offence from HMG's point of view.

But given the growing backlog in the courts I can't see them being too keen to bring a raft of prosecutions.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Our Country is in a mess. I don’t intend making it any more difficult for those that are trying their best to sort it out. Petty arguments about kipping on one’s yacht help no one.

JFK 1961 - “ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”

i reckon we could all do with a bit of that spirit now, politics first, which is why the Cummings nonsense is so damaging.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Our Country is in a mess. I don’t intend making it any more difficult for those that are trying their best to sort it out. Petty arguments about kipping on one’s yacht help no one.

JFK 1961 - “ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”

i reckon we could all do with a bit of that spirit now, politics first, which is why the Cummings nonsense is so damaging.

Boris ain't no JFK!