Named winds

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Nowhere in the UK has consistent enough weather patterns for there to be regular winds to name. There are a few local phenomena that may be named, but they are a result of local topography and limited in the area they extend over. There's nothing like the Mediterranean named winds, which are predictable and last for several days, or longer.

There are a few other named local meteorological phenomena, but these aren't linked to anything but wind strength - for example, the Fen Blow is aeolian soil erosion as a result of strong winds following prolonged dry weather. But the wind merely has to be strong, not from a particular direction. It's rarer these days as farmers pay more attention to soil conservation; I've only seen it 2 or 3 times in the last 40 years, but it used to be a common thing.

KAM

Visit site
Nowhere in the UK has consistent enough weather patterns for there to be regular winds to name. There are a few local phenomena that may be named, but they are a result of local topography and limited in the area they extend over. There's nothing like the Mediterranean named winds, which are predictable and last for several days, or longer.
That's what I was thinking too but it's interesting that a few people have mentioned north easters. I was stuck in Kinlochbervie a few years ago in spring where the wind seemed to be stuck blowing up to F6 NE for days on end. It maybe my imagination but it seems to happen most springs now.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Not yet, but we are working hard (by common usage) to get NE-E winds in Kent/Sussex known as 'The Beast from the East.'

Due perhaps to the funnelling effect of the North Sea they are always considerably stronger than geostrophic forecasts imply and, of course, they are cutting in the winter.

[159032]

Visit site
The Helm wind , or Helm Bar is in the May entry here Highlights of the year - BBC Weather Watchers

_97790519_31ca8782-72c9-4092-b20e-609bb3dd6e15.jpg

Also here in another form The Helm Wind and lenticular cloud.

KAM

Visit site
Thanks mercury. I think as a country were a bit impoverished with named winds. Perhaps we should have some more.

johnalison

Visit site
There ought to be a name for the NE wind we've had for ages that has taken the edge off the heat wave recently and made last summer less rewarding that it might have been. I think I shall call it a 'Norseman'.

KAM

Visit site
Ah that's the wind I was thinking of. Kept me pinned in Kinlochbervie for 2 weeks a few years back. It might be my imagination but they seem much more prevalent in spring than 20 years ago. Maybe needs something more poetic than Noresman.