A Pub in Dorset- I think?

Ian_Rob

Visit site
About 30 years ago we went to a very rural, very old pub in Dorset that had an open fireplace and stone surround, caked in black tar. I guess the place was at least 250 years old and very spartan with bare, white painted walls. I seem to remember that the building was small, cottage-like and close to the road rather than set back and that the fireplace was to the immediate left of the entrance door. A long shot but any suggestions as to where it might be?

Rustyknight

Visit site
If it was this one between Cerne Abbas and Charminster (near Dorchester) it's been closed for quite a few years. I'd never been in there to know what the layout was though.

Smiths Arms

KeithMD

Visit site
About 30 years ago we went to a very rural, very old pub in Dorset that had an open fireplace and stone surround, caked in black tar. I guess the place was at least 250 years old and very spartan with bare, white painted walls. I seem to remember that the building was small, cottage-like and close to the road rather than set back and that the fireplace was to the immediate left of the entrance door. A long shot but any suggestions as to where it might be?

Any geographic clues? Like rivers, railways, hills, etc?

Ian_Rob

Visit site
It is long tim
Any geographic clues? Like rivers, railways, hills, etc?

I am not sure I can give much more detail . I think it was less set back from the road than the Smith’s Arms and rather isolated. It was in a very rural lane with hedges and grass verges. I don‘t seem to remember any buildings to the sides nor any nearby . If I had to guess I would say that we were in west Dorset heading west and that the building was on the left hand side of the road at or close to a right hand bend or 3 way junction. What sticks in my mind most was the stone fireplace and adjacent walls that were dribbling with tar. It was as though the room had been used as a smoke house at some time.

PS I seem to remember a road sign so it must have been a junction rather than just a bend and a place name on the sign beginning with a ‘C’….???

Last edited: