Squadron 78 For Sale

MapisM

Visit site
I'm afraid nobody can, because the advert is not online anymore.
Now, the question is, who among the above posters bought her PDQ, sight unseen?

MJGH

Visit site
I'm afraid nobody can, because the advert is not online anymore.
Now, the question is, who among the above posters bought her PDQ, sight unseen?
It has disappeared from Boats.co's web site but is still for sale on The Yacht Market through them.

Parabolica

Visit site
It has disappeared from Boats.co's web site but is still for sale on The Yacht Market through them.

on The Yacht Market it will likely remain for years as so many boats on there not actually for sale anymore. No wonder the traders refer to it as The Graveyard !

Seastoke

Visit site
Well mention Jim and the mods take it down , this is where we are in a police state . JFM JUST FORUM MADNESS.

jfm

Visit site
Evening all. I haven’t posted on here in ages but lurk very occasionally. I’m chiming in to clear up confusion on this topic.

The Squadron 78 on Boats.co.uk and TheYachtMarket today is my boat. I didn’t like the ads so they were taken down - one picture was of another boat, and the description was inaccurate. Should be back up tomorrow, corrected. So, yes I’m selling Match, (aka on here “Match 2”). It has been and still is a great boat, but I just feel like a change.

Match’s asking price is deliberately much lower than the others for sale (AFAIK there are only 3 other Sq78 HT for sale currently). I hope this will create “buyer hunger” and make the process less time-consuming for me. Please don’t be too harsh on the pictures in the ad – they are just my holiday snaps because I don’t have time for pro photography.

By the way I didn’t leave/wasn’t banned from this forum because of any argument with the mods, as Portofino inaccurately stated the other day. I had plenty of mod arguments throughout my 20 years on here, and we always resolved them amicably ?. I left because I thought the place was filling up with dull (imho) posts. It’s no fun (imho) seeing new boat strawberries pee’d upon, reports that your boat is dirty when there’s a hosepipe ban, relentless repetitive lectures on old Itamas/EGT, social justice rants, etc. Of course folks can write whatever they want, and folks can check out too.

Hurricane, (hi and hope all well aboard JennyW) it’s the same Laser on both boats – I kept it when I sold the first Sq78 ?

I'm not giving up boats (!) - I’ve ordered a SL96A – detailed design underway now; build starts Feb 2023; delivery Feb 2024. Looked carefully at all the competitors, but just liked it the best. Fairly chunky spec, chunkier than any SL96A they have built before.

Anyway, I hope it was helpful to clear up any confusion on Squadron 78 adverts. Best wishes everyone and thank you for the kind words in some recent threads.

EricJ

Visit site
Evening all. I haven’t posted on here in ages but lurk very occasionally. I’m chiming in to clear up confusion on this topic.

The Squadron 78 on Boats.co.uk and TheYachtMarket today is my boat. I didn’t like the ads so they were taken down - one picture was of another boat, and the description was inaccurate. Should be back up tomorrow, corrected. So, yes I’m selling Match, (aka on here “Match 2”). It has been and still is a great boat, but I just feel like a change.

Match’s asking price is deliberately much lower than the others for sale (AFAIK there are only 3 other Sq78 HT for sale currently). I hope this will create “buyer hunger” and make the process less time-consuming for me. Please don’t be too harsh on the pictures in the ad – they are just my holiday snaps because I don’t have time for pro photography.

By the way I didn’t leave/wasn’t banned from this forum because of any argument with the mods, as Portofino inaccurately stated the other day. I had plenty of mod arguments throughout my 20 years on here, and we always resolved them amicably ?. I left because I thought the place was filling up with dull (imho) posts. It’s no fun (imho) seeing new boat strawberries pee’d upon, reports that your boat is dirty when there’s a hosepipe ban, relentless repetitive lectures on old Itamas/EGT, social justice rants, etc. Of course folks can write whatever they want, and folks can check out too.

Hurricane, (hi and hope all well aboard JennyW) it’s the same Laser on both boats – I kept it when I sold the first Sq78 ?

I'm not giving up boats (!) - I’ve ordered a SL96A – detailed design underway now; build starts Feb 2023; delivery Feb 2024. Looked carefully at all the competitors, but just liked it the best. Fairly chunky spec, chunkier than any SL96A they have built before.

Anyway, I hope it was helpful to clear up any confusion on Squadron 78 adverts. Best wishes everyone and thank you for the kind words in some recent threads.
Wow, this is really great to read. Congratulations on the new purchase. Stunning boat.….
Thanks for your contributions to this forum. From time to time I read through old threads because there is so much great content like your Match1 in build thread.
If you would consider an in-build thread for the SL, please let us know where to find it ?

MapisM

Visit site
First of all, welcome back, J. I see that your last post here was almost exactly 3 years ago, doesn't time fly?

Leaving aside for a moment your (actually very interesting!) boating plans, I would like to highlight (also to everyone else) one statement of yours which has nothing to see with boats, but which I think deserves some attention:
I left because I thought the place was filling up with dull (imho) posts.
Now, this was definitely true already three years ago, but in the meantime all went downhill from there, and nowadays this is so blatantly obvious that it isn't even funny, sadly.

So, on one hand I am sure that a "Match-like" build thread based on an SL96A (no less!) could potentially be one of the most interesting boat threads ever, not only in this forum but also in the whole cyberspace.
OTOH, I'm not holding my breath, because I fear that even if you would reconsider your decision, and kindly find the time and the wish to share such an amazing project here, you might well be soon disappointed by the same old attitude that triggered your decision 3 years ago.

Anyway, whatever you'll decide, all the very best both for the sale of Match and for the new SL build.
Actually, the former will surely materialize PDQ, because anyone genuinely interested in a Sq78 will immediately understand that hoping to find anything better than Match would be wishful thinking.
And also for the latter, you don't need any wishes either, because pretty sure your vast knowledge, coupled with the competence of one of the very best boatbuilders, is bound to produce an outstanding result.
Fair winds! (y)

Last edited:

ICTM

Visit site
I really do hope that ‘welcome back’ is appropriate but fear that the visit may be fleeting ! I recently re-read the entire Match 2 build thread and the attention to detail astounded me as much this time round as it did the first. Thank you again for taking the time and effort to post it.

Now if you could be persuaded to post a build thread for your new SL96 that would be fantastic……….. and I don’t give a stuff what the dead rise is :)
Congrats on your new ship !

jfm

Visit site
First of all, welcome back, J. I see that your last post here was almost exactly 3 years ago, doesn't time fly?

Leaving aside for a moment your (actually very interesting!) boating plans, I would like to highlight (also to everyone else) one statement of yours which has nothing to see with boats, but which I think deserves some attention:

Now, this was definitely true already three years ago, but in the meantime all went downhill from there, and nowadays this is so blatantly obvious that it isn't even funny, sadly.

So, on one hand I am sure that a "Match-like" build thread based on an SL96A (no less!) could potentially be one of the most interesting boat threads ever, not only in this forum but also in the whole cyberspace.
OTOH, I'm not holding my breath, because I fear that even if you would reconsider your decision, and kindly find the time and the wish to share such an amazing project here, you might well be soon disappointed by the same old attitude that triggered your decision 3 years ago.

Anyway, whatever you'll decide, all the very best both for the sale of Match and for the new SL build.
Actually, the former will surely materialize PDQ, because anyone genuinely interested in a Sq78 will immediately understand that hoping to find anything better than Match would be wishful thinking.
And also for the latter, you don't need any wishes either, because pretty sure your vast knowledge, coupled with the competence of one of the very best boatbuilders, is bound to produce an outstanding result.
Fair winds! (y)

Thanks for those good wishes Mapism. I'm looking forward immensely to the Sanlorenzo project next year - just need to find time to get to Italy often enough. I hear the food is quite good (?) :)

What you say about this forum's downhill slide is sadly true imho, but I have a glimmer of hope, due to its dullness being openly aired on here recently. This place has many great contributors, and the damage is done by only a tiresome small minority playing broken-record lectures relentlessly, jammed on "transmit". Wouldn't it be great if that just stopped? Here's hoping! :)

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
Welcome Back J (I’m going to be optimistic) Sorely missed!

I did up an old Sunseeker and got to 80 plus pages……that’s how badly we need a decent build thread. @Bouba had a fuel leak and surpassed Match 2 build threads (and took longer to resolve than it did to build Match 2)

We need you back ??

To be fair….there are a few in send mode for sure but many decent folk here and new people joining too. It’s not all anchors and antifoul ?

Bajansailor

Visit site
I will also add a polite request for a(nother) amazing build thread please re your new San Lorenzo.

I am amazed that Fairline stopped building the 78 - the logical thing for anybody to do (if they are looking for a vessel of this calibre) would have been to simply go to Fairline and tell them 'Build me a 78 just like JFM's'.
Job done. JFM did all the hard work previously.
And the result will be a(nother) amazing yacht.

For anybody who would like to know more about the San Lorenzo SL96A, here is a link -
Sanlorenzo Spa

Does she still come in at just under 24 metres loadline length?

The 'asymmetric' aspect makes a lot of sense really - by the time you add comfortably wide side decks on both sides of the vessel, your saloon and accommodation does become relatively narrow, even on a vessel of this size.
Just have to remember to run forward on the starboard side. :)

San Lorenzo SL96A GA - main deck.jpg

Last edited: