Hailing "We Are Racing", in the Solent

Channel Sailor

Visit site
To achieve Stand On priority (contrary to RRS) , is there ever an occasion when it is reasonable for a race yacht needs to hail "we are racing" to a cruising yacht?

It happened to me while cruising yesterday, in a Opposite tacks crossing situation,. Though it could have been just an errant crew on the rail doing the hailing and those at the back were just knowingly doing a late call close dip behind.

BTW, other boats in the same fleet behaved very well when I came across them again later in an awkward situation on their downwind leg. We seemed to just end up in the same place on the water a several times that day.

Minerva

Visit site
To achieve Stand On priority (contrary to RRS) , is there ever an occasion when it is reasonable for a race yacht needs to hail "we are racing" to a cruising yacht?

It happened to me while cruising yesterday, in a Opposite tacks crossing situation,. Though it could have been just an errant crew on the rail doing the hailing and those at the back were just knowingly doing a late call close dip behind.

BTW, other boats in the same fleet behaved very well when I came across them again later in an awkward situation on their downwind leg. We seemed to just end up in the same place on the water a several times that day.

I think the appropriate response is "Good for you" then continue to adhere to usual ColRegs protocol.

Goldie

Visit site
I have no problem with a polite request for a minor course alteration along with an explanation and a ‘thank you’ - I’ve raced often enough myself. However, a straight “we’re racing” will just get an “I’m not” - assuming that I’m the stand on vessel of course.

Some of the corporate fleet operators are very good in this respect. A few years ago in the Solent, I was faced with a large fleet, obviously racing. I did the decent thing and kept out of the way of most (in plenty of time) despite being the stand on vessel, but there was one that was going to be very close (I was on starboard, he on port). I had to take avoiding action and received verbal abuse for my trouble so I reported him - easy to identify with the operator’s name in big letters! He was lying second at the time….

I had a call from the office 30 mins later with an apology, and to tell me that he’d been disqualified. I will confess to a pang of satisfaction.

The Q

Visit site
We certainly wouldn't call that at our club, we'd be shouting that every 5 seconds, as every other boat is a motorboat being driven by inexperienced tourists.
By the time you got a reaction you'd be rammed..
We just assume every motorboat driver is an idiot, and non competing sailor slightly less so.. So therefore take appropriate precautions.

flaming

Visit site

Short answer. No, there is no situation I can reasonably conceive of where this hail should be given.

As racers we agree, as part of the racing rules, to adhere to COLREGS with regard to all other craft.

It is absolutely true that on occasion, someone just out for a nice sail might look at us racing and make their own decision that they could do a small alteration of course and that would mean that we don't have to. This is absolutely appreciated, and I will always try to thank such a person.
We cannot and should not, ever insist that anyone "gets out of our way" just because we are racing when COLREGS makes us the keep clear vessel. It's arrogant and dangerous.

On the flip side is is very annoying when boats who are just out for a sail don't keep clear when they should.... And even more annoying when little day fishing boats decide that tying up to one of those handy yellow marks that are scattered around the solent is easier than anchoring....

The Q

Visit site
On the flip side is is very annoying when boats who are just out for a sail don't keep clear when they should.... And even more annoying when little day fishing boats decide that tying up to one of those handy yellow marks that are scattered around the solent is easier than anchoring....
A 40ft Broads motorboat, attaching itself to one of our orange buoys with a 10lb mud weight on is always interesting, you never know where the mark (and boat) will have drifted off to..

Wansworth

Visit site
Crossing fro Soto to Cowes in a small coaster,skipper had been a barge skipper so stopped to let a fleet pass even so some harridan stared o the oldie are racing with fouled expletives…..

DFL1010

Visit site
To me, there's the overriding rule of life (moreso than even COLREGS): don't be a ----.

Going through a big racing fleet may be OK under COLREGS, but it's a bit of a ---- move (generally).
Being on a racing boat and shouting at cruisers may be OK under COLREGS, but it's a bit of a ---- move (generally).

There are naturally exceptions.

And, of course it defeats the general purpose.
For me, cruising is about chilling out, and getting into the middle of a fleet ain't fun. Racing is for winning, and getting caught up with cruisers ain't fast.

Finally, to go back to a proper rules point of view, there are times when byelaws can come into play. For example, Falmouth has:
Small vessels to avoid regattas, etc.
13. The master of a small vessel on the occasion of any boat race, regatta, championship race, public procession or any other occasion when a number of small vessels are assembled therein shall not permit his small vessel to pass therein so as to obstruct, impede or interfere with the boat race, regatta, championship race or procession, or endanger the safety of persons assembling in the harbour, or prevent the maintenance of order therein, and the master of a small vessel shall observe the directions of the Harbour Master or other persons authorised by the Commissioners to superintend the execution of this bye-law.

The Q

Visit site
"Small vessels to avoid regattas, etc.
13. The master of a small vessel on the occasion of any boat race, regatta, championship race, public procession or any other occasion when a number of small vessels are assembled therein shall not permit his small vessel to pass therein so as to obstruct, impede or interfere with the boat race, regatta, championship race or procession, or endanger the safety of persons assembling in the harbour, or prevent the maintenance of order therein, and the master of a small vessel shall observe the directions of the Harbour Master or other persons authorised by the Commissioners to superintend the execution of this bye-law. "

Execution of the culprit seems a bit drastic :D maybe just a keelhauling..

michael_w

Visit site
If cruising, I'll give a racing boat room. but not much. They'll get their stern shaved as close, if not closer than one of their competitors.

DFL1010

Visit site
"Small vessels to avoid regattas, etc.
13. The master of a small vessel on the occasion of any boat race, regatta, championship race, public procession or any other occasion when a number of small vessels are assembled therein shall not permit his small vessel to pass therein so as to obstruct, impede or interfere with the boat race, regatta, championship race or procession, or endanger the safety of persons assembling in the harbour, or prevent the maintenance of order therein, and the master of a small vessel shall observe the directions of the Harbour Master or other persons authorised by the Commissioners to superintend the execution of this bye-law. "

Execution of the culprit seems a bit drastic :D maybe just a keelhauling..

Helps with the recidivism rate though.

penfold

Visit site
"We're racing" invites the response "well you're not very good at it then?"

Even the very dull-witted ones tend to keep clear if there's a large fleet going round the cans on the Clyde, it's a big bit of water and these days fleets aren't as big as they used to be(cue sepia-toned reminiscing about when Clyde Weekend was Clyde Fortnight etc)

SaltIre

Visit site
I think the appropriate response is "Good for you" then continue to adhere to usual ColRegs protocol.
Surely "Good luck" might also be appropriate. :)
Edit: I did get a bit pissed off one day, when racing, when a big MoBo tried to collide with me - midway between Wemyss Bay and Toward...
Saturn_2009.jpg

Last edited:

Praxinoscope

Visit site
In a way we are lucky, our waters are so under populated that the chances of a cruising yacht coming anywhere near our racing fleet is at about the same odds as Donald Trump joining the Democrats, but having said that, last weekend during a race (with very light winds, lucky if we got more tha5 kts of wind) 4 jet skis seemed to think it fun to zoom straight through the fleet at a rapid rate of knots. A real pain as most of us were hull winged at the time.

scottie

Visit site
Surely "Good luck" might also be appropriate. :)
Edit: I did get a bit pissed off one day, when racing, when a big MoBo tried to collide with me - midway between Wemyss Bay and Toward...
Saturn_2009.jpg
I believe that they are restricted ability to manoeuvre due to the tram lines integrated into their auto pilots

Alfie168

Visit site
If someone makes the call " We are racing" the response to which there is no reply is simply " So am I " ?

But generally just be as accommodating as you can. Sailing brings out the best in many, and the worst in a few. I'm glad it's not the other way round.