90/180 days

westernman

www.devalk.nl
And am I mistaken or did I misread that face and fingerprint scans are going to be introduced by the EU in May?
Went to Cyprus last week. Face scan on entry and on exit. Also entry and exit stamps in passport.
Also Covid "passport" required, and Covid test for everyone on arrival. Which was well organised, fast and efficient.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
And am I mistaken or did I misread that face and fingerprint scans are going to be introduced by the EU in May?

EU citizen cards already have facial scan and fingerprint, so does my Portuguese permanent residence card. I understand cardboard/paper residence cards are to be replaced with a biometric plastic ones across all EU states, I'm still waiting for mine.

As Kingfisher says above, a country can issue long stay visas under some circumstances. Portugal does this for Indians and other nationals who are in the country working on fruit farms and after 7 years have the right to apply for citizenship.

billskip

Visit site
EU citizen cards already have facial scan and fingerprint, so does my Portuguese permanent residence card. I understand cardboard/paper residence cards are to be replaced with a biometric plastic ones across all EU states, I'm still waiting for mine.

As Kingfisher says above, a country can issue long stay visas under some circumstances. Portugal does this for Indians and other nationals who are in the country working on fruit farms and after 7 years have the right to apply for citizenship.
This maybe so, but it's going to affect those that wish to travel by land and sea across rather countries borders isn't it?

Graham376

Visit site
This maybe so, but it's going to affect those that wish to travel by land and sea across rather countries borders isn't it?

Why? Once in Schengen there are no border checks between the various countries. As has always happened, marinas need to see passports/citizen cards when checking in but no-one else does.

P.S. Info here on ETIAS and EES, Is the EES for Europe the Same as ETIAS? (etiasvisa.com)

EES records biometric data including the facial image and fingerprints, of each traveler upon arrival and exit from the European Union.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
Why? Once in Schengen there are no border checks .

Yes, once in Schengen...I was referring to British travelling by ferry and driving down to Portugal or Spain.
Also as one of your links say all visitors to the schengen zone will need finger print and photo scan...so you cant (well you can) just rock up at a marina....

nortada

Visit site
Bill, bit confused. Whilst Graham said, “Why? Once in Schengen there are no border checks”, I don’t think he said the rest of your post.

On a broader front, where the 90/180 is concerned, rules and reality are not necessarily bed fellows. Brussels may make the rules but countries will interpret them in there own way.

As Hitler once said, “How many divisions does The Pope have?” In a similar vein, how does Brussels, enforce its will on dissenters?

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
Bill, bit confused. Whilst Graham said, “Why? Once in Schengen there are no border checks”, I don’t think he said the rest of your post.
Its probably me confused and confusing, easy done these days.
What I'm trying to say, (keeping within the law) is whatever individual countries decide re Visas one still has to get to that country, which could mean crossing a boarder that does not offer or accept that visa, for example a Briton could have an extended visa in Spain, but would not be able to travel through France if their EU90 days are up...
However it will be what it will be

sailaboutvic

Visit site
will just have to wait and see what happens in practice.
Actually what happen in practice is all that matter ,
There been posting after posting people quoting Google for nearly two years now and going by my own experience what been quoted and what's happening has not been the same .
At airport on the second part of our journey for a long weekend in Denmark ,
once again just like my last trip to Holland ,
Only passport check was by checking staff,
No scanning .
See what happen when we land in Denmark .

billskip

Visit site
Actually what happen in practice is all that matter ,
There been posting after posting people quoting Google for nearly two years now and going by my own experience what been quoted and what's happening has not been the same .
At airport on the second part of our journey for a long weekend in Denmark ,
once again just like my last trip to Holland ,
Only passport check was by checking staff,
No scanning .
See what happen when we land in Denmark .
What happens in practice to you is not necessarily what will happen to me.
Maybe a lot of google stuff, but it's all the interpretation of the situation as its believed to be by some.
People will always be able to move about, swim the channel, row the Atlantic whatever.
The transport industry, eg airlins, are now and will be responsible for their load/passengers and when the rules and regs are in place that is what will control movement for the majority.
If any person runs the gauntlet, and tries to live outside the system so be it,its not something that should be considered as the norm.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
What happens in practice to you is not necessarily what will happen to me.
I agree and good job too I say , ?

Now in Denmark no passport check , so far so good .
That's now three country no one ask why passport as not been stamp Or when I entered the EU ,

As I said In the other posting I think any problem are going to be after I depart from the UK back to Holland or Sicily .
Others have said their passport where stamp once entered a EU country so I guess mine will be .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The transport industry, eg airlins, are now and will be responsible for their load/passengers and when the rules and regs are in place that is what will control movement for the majority.
What I understood by what been written here before 12/2020 and since the rules are in place or are we now talking about the new rules that are supposed to come in next year , which as already Being delay.

QUOTE="billskip, post: 7850076, member: 401"]
If any person runs the gauntlet, and tries to live outside the system so be it,its not something that should be considered as the norm.
[/QUOTE]

No one as far I'm concean is running any Gaunlet , on the contrary, we been boarded three times this year March to Oct and although passport where check every time no one said Nothing about over saying .

As I said I guess mine will get stamp once I leave the UK probily some time in Dec ,
now if at that point someone going to tell me I over stayed and can't go back is another thing ,
Although I not sure why they will as my passport not at a stamp since 2019 and that's from Tunisia .
Some may say " but the airline booking go on a data base "
I say that's just more guess work on their parts .

What I can say is we had 11 months in Europe this year 8 of them months crusing .

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I guess you will get your passport stamped and logged when you return to an EU country from the UK, that may be the time your 90 days starts then it will be down to the diligence or otherwise of whatever EU countries you are in to check your passport and date of last entry into the EU. You could be lucky and survive in Greece without anyone bothering, it's more likely to be a problem when you leave the EU to a non EU country at some time in the future and then try to reenter.
I would want to have a back up plan of what to do and where to go if I was refused entry in the future, in the Eastern Med their are bolt holes Turkey etc but their is also the possibility of having once been identified as an overstayer of being declared an undesirable alien as would happen in the US.

billskip

Visit site
I guess you will get your passport stamped and logged when you return to an EU country from the UK, that may be the time your 90 days starts then it will be down to the diligence or otherwise of whatever EU countries you are in to check your passport and date of last entry into the EU. You could be lucky and survive in Greece without anyone bothering, it's more likely to be a problem when you leave the EU to a non EU country at some time in the future and then try to reenter.
I would want to have a back up plan of what to do and where to go if I was refused entry in the future, in the Eastern Med their are bolt holes Turkey etc but their is also the possibility of having once been identified as an overstayer of being declared an undesirable alien as would happen in the US.
Theres also things like insurance and health problems that could cause expensive embarrassment for overstayed, if you give an insurance room to wriggle, wriggle they will.
I would think also the EHIC will be invalid if outside permitted time.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
To be honest I think Greece be the last place where anyone wouldn't be bothered ,
I had more dealing with PP then anywhere else in Europe.
I don't believe unless someone is constantly caught over staying that they going to be barred , maybe refuse entry for X months or till their next 90 days are up ,
Europe is despair for tourists .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Theres also things like insurance and health problems that could cause expensive embarrassment for overstayed, if you give an insurance room to wriggle, wriggle they will.
I would think also the EHIC will be invalid if outside permitted time.
I sure your probably right.
Best to have private insurance

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I guess for them that haven't got enough to stress about ,
maybe your boat also won't be insured .
Here something else to worry about , what if you kick the bucket , will they let your family have your. Body , oh will you will still be valid?
Give me some time and I think about a few more things .

Ok enough winding people up ,
enjoying a nice train ride across Denmark ,

billskip

Visit site
I guess for them that haven't got enough to stress about ,
maybe your boat also won't be insured .
Here something else to worry about , what if you kick the bucket , will they let your family have your. Body , oh will you will still be valid?
Give me some time and I think about a few more things .
You are right, I personally don't give a monkey's....I read that some are looking to thread like this to give them immunity, all I am pointing out is what can possibly happen imho, if one can't handle the loss one shouldn't gamble.

Graham376

Visit site
Give private insurance any excuse not to pay and they will, been there and got the prescription.

That's a possibility, most private policies cover specific dates and geographic areas of cover and if policyholder is outside those limits, there could be a problem. OTOH, EHIC is just an international billing agreement for treatment and AFAIK only limits countries covered so why should that be invalid?

I suspect until ETIAS is up and running, a blind eye is being turned in most places, vaccination status being more important. I've yet to meet anyone who's had overstay problems and I know a few who've been through passport control well over the limit, without comment.