Buying boat with no sailing experience. How feasible is my plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doge

Visit site
Doge if you are really concerned for your safety, the single most important thing you can do is to get some sailing experience with others more experienced. That may be acting as crew (this forum is a great resource for that) or even a practical course.
Yes of course people can just do it without any preparation or experience, but your chances of survival and as importantly enjoying it will be enhanced with a little bit of effort on your part to get some time in on a boat
Having done that you will at least begin to have some idea of knowing what you don't know!

Well, battling raging seas is one thing, slipping is another.

Given that people can do it, its what I'm going to do. I've said this several time. Youtubers do it all the time. Why do you have this need to control my behaviour?

As the discussion about safety harnesses was pretty short lived and unproductive and we're back to the broken record again I'm done with this thread at least for the time being.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm not sure why you even started this thread , your not at all interested in what people with experience have to say .

Maybe best to stop wasting good YouTube viewing time posting here and learn from them on YouTube.
As they seen to.know Much then people here .

Kelpie

Visit site
As the discussion about safety harnesses was pretty short lived and unproductive and we're back to the broken record again I'm done with this thread at least for the time being.

What was unproductive about it? You asserted that nobody here knows what they're doing because nobody mentioned the use of a safety harness. Several people then responded to tell you what kit we do use (lifejackets with integral harnesses). If you want to tell us all that we're wrong, then go ahead, and explain why.

I'm very willing to help newbies (I'm pretty new to this myself, I've only been sailing for fifteen years and I've never done an ocean crossing) but it isn't very nice to have your advice thrown back at you when it is given freely and in good faith.

Doge

Visit site
What was unproductive about it? You asserted that nobody here knows what they're doing because nobody mentioned the use of a safety harness. Several people then responded to tell you what kit we do use (lifejackets with integral harnesses). If you want to tell us all that we're wrong, then go ahead, and explain why.

I'm very willing to help newbies (I'm pretty new to this myself, I've only been sailing for fifteen years and I've never done an ocean crossing) but it isn't very nice to have your advice thrown back at you when it is given freely and in good faith.
Well maybe this just isn't the right place. I did thank the people who'd made constructive posts. I never threw that back at anyone. But quite a lot of it was just people having a go.

Go do an ocean crossing. :p

yolo

dunedin

Visit site
Well maybe this just isn't the right place. I did thank the people who'd made constructive posts. I never threw that back at anyone. But quite a lot of it was just people having a go.

yolo

Many of the people whose advice you have ignored and/or mocked have done multiple ocean crossings, but clearly you know better than them. Bon voyage (though seems more like a virtual pipe dream which will never happen, as if serious would be wanting to get out sailing now to learn).

Doge

Visit site
I'm not sure why you even started this thread , your not at all interested in what people with experience have to say .

Maybe best to stop wasting good YouTube viewing time posting here and learn from them on YouTube.
As they seen to.know Much then people here .
Some of them probably do. Others are going through the stages of learning often having just bought a boat as I intend to.

Doge

Visit site
Many of the people whose advice you have ignored and/or mocked have done multiple ocean crossings, but clearly you know better than them. Bon voyage (though seems more like a virtual pipe dream which will never happen, as if serious would be wanting to get out sailing now to learn).
aaaaaaand you're still going on about lessons.

How do you expect me to react to that when I've repeatedly said I'm not going to do that? I don't need to. Others don't. It's unnecessary expenditure and pretty impractical given that I live about as far from the coast as you can get and have no car. Yet people keep going on about it.

dunedin

Visit site
aaaaaaand you're still going on about lessons.

How do you expect me to react to that when I've repeatedly said I'm not going to do that? I don't need to. Others don't. It's unnecessary expenditure and pretty impractical given that I live about as far from the coast as you can get and have no car. Yet people keep going on about it.
Who said anything about “lessons”, if you mean paying for courses. Lots of ways to go sailing if want to. And no place in the UK is more than a few miles from the sea, and often even less from a local sailing club (as was pointed out much earlier).
Where there is a will there is a way. Where there isn’t a will…………..

Out

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Some of them probably do. Others are going through the stages of learning often having just bought a boat as I intend to.
I can give you a list of YouTube stars who we met there two in this marina now and we in three in the marina last year I can assure you it be more interesting if they posted the stuff they left out .

One that comes to mind was the couple who just sat through a storm , they video only shows part of the story, they missed out the bit where because of their inexperience they not only left part of they Gen out because they seen on YouTube it help them steady the boat , they also didn't lock it .
The sail unfurl and rip it self to bits .

Yes you can learn by just doing it , but in the mean time you cause yourself a lot of stress let alone others you come across , that without the damage to your boat and others.
But I don't believe there any chance of that happening in your case .

Doge

Visit site
I can give you a list of YouTube stars who we met there two in this marina now and we in three in the marina last year I can assure you it be more interesting if they posted the stuff they left out .

One that comes to mind was the couple who just sat through a storm , they video only shows part of the story, they missed out the bit where because of their inexperience they not only left part of they Gen out because they seen on YouTube it help them steady the boat , they also didn't lock it .
The sail unfurl and rip it self to bits .

Yes you can learn by just doing it , but in the mean time you cause yourself a lot of stress let alone others you come across , that without the damage to your boat and others
Yeah... I'll tell you what, you keep me posted on where your boat is and ill be sure to avoid it.

Kelpie

Visit site

yolo
Currently on passage down the Portuguese coast, broad reaching in 12kt apparent. Sun's out, full sail, crew happy.
You should get out here, it's fun.

Kelpie

Visit site
Who said anything about “lessons”, if you mean paying for courses. Lots of ways to go sailing if want to. And no place in the UK is more than a few miles from the sea, and often even less from a local sailing club (as was pointed out much earlier).
Where there is a will there is a way. Where there isn’t a will…………..

Out
You'll need a VHF cert and ICC to legally sail in Europe. You might actually enjoy the courses.

cherod

Visit site
Currently on passage down the Portuguese coast, broad reaching in 12kt apparent. Sun's out, full sail, crew happy.
You should get out here, it's fun.
wish it was me ,, i dont hink i would be wasting the experience getting involved in some petty argument on the internet ;) ?

Kelpie

Visit site
wish it was me ,, i dont hink i would be wasting the experience getting involved in some petty argument on the internet ;) ?
I know what you mean, why do I bother. I suppose I have had a lot of help from people on this forum and it feels right to try to pay that forward. I do actually wish Doge all the best, they could be the next Shane Acton for all I know.

Anchored at Cascais now enjoying a beer in the sun ?

DownWest

Visit site
The more I read, the more I think his original enquiry is purely hypothetical (ie dreamer)
Well yes. But the problem is his antagonism to anybody who tries to guide him on a more practical course than the one he thinks is best. They likely have much more experience ( some very experienced contributors with real ocean time, among others with years of sailing) but, it doesn't make a dent in his ideas.
Bodes ill..

Yer, I know I was 'out' but Doge comes over as a bit more than a 'troll' (I might be mistaken there :rolleyes: ) but if he really wants to do it, then he should take some of the advice.
BTW, suggesting he posted on Sailing Anarchy, would get a quite robust response... Likely he would be put on the barbie and scorched. They have light regulation there and use words that are verboten on here....

cherod

Visit site
I know what you mean, why do I bother. I suppose I have had a lot of help from people on this forum and it feels right to try to pay that forward. I do actually wish Doge all the best, they could be the next Shane Acton for all I know.

Anchored at Cascais now enjoying a beer in the sun ?
lucky you :cool: ,, take it that you still have a rudder (y),,,
who is this Shane Acton of whom you speak ?

Status
Not open for further replies.