90/180 days

billskip

Visit site
You might be mixing up "working legally" and "having the right to work". Two different things. The EU guarantees you the right to work, but that doesn't mean that countries don't require you to pay tax.

PS: Any, anyway, it says you are non EU so I don't see what relevance this has to your earlier postings.
No I'm not mixing up what was stated in AndersG post.

I agree having the right to work is different to saying you dont need a permission.
I agree all eu citizens have the right to work, but they must also get permission.

billskip

Visit site
You are not an EU citizen. You do not have a right to work in the EU. That does not mean you cannot work in the EU.
Where does that photo I posted say it's anything to do with me?
Work Me?.? No way I gave that silly idea up a long while back, ;)

goeasy123

Visit site
Jacaldo, We had a similar problem. We had a local respected citizen speak to the local chief of police, off the record. Like all other 3rd country citizens it's your responsibility to get your passport stamped out. This has been the case for many years. Brexit and being a citizen of the UK makes no difference.
We were told the official line (which we should absolutely not do) was to go to the authorities and plead a case. In our case the regional police HQ. In your case the embassy. They have the authority to bend the rules... or not. However, you might not like the answer. The answer, good or bad, goes on an EU wide database with your name against it.
The unofficial line was to get the stamp in next time and start again. If challenge say you tried to get stamped out and have evidence of your movement, ideally a boarding pass.

goeasy123

Visit site
Not sure about that. It was discussed at length on the Current Affairs forum but yes I agree that the vast majority of UK people are not affected by the 90/180 rule

And to be honest, I do wonder how rigorously it will be enforced in many EU countries and in the long run of course it is very likely that a future UK govt will negotiate a closer relationship with the EU which may well allow Brits more favourable access to the EU than 90/180
Probably not the case as Treasury have told the Government to do what they can to stop Brits spending money in the EU. The UK has already refused to reciprocate contiguous 180 day allowances with Spain.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Probably not the case as Treasury have told the Government to do what they can to stop Brits spending money in the EU. The UK has already refused to reciprocate contiguous 180 day allowances with Spain.
:cry:
But why? It is not as if we are inundated with Spanish people in the UK.
Do we really want the Costa del Sol retirees back in the UK?

st599

Visit site
:cry:
But why? It is not as if we are inundated with Spanish people in the UK.
Do we really want the Costa del Sol retirees back in the UK?

It was revealed in one of the Brexit committees that the EU had offered 180 days for all British Citizens if the UK would reciprocate for all EU Citizens. UK refused.

dgadee

Visit site
It was revealed in one of the Brexit committees that the EU had offered 180 days for all British Citizens if the UK would reciprocate for all EU Citizens. UK refused.

I thought that EU citizens have 180 days here. Here is the Cruising Association:

"The CA is the largest UK organisation focussed solely on supporting extended cruising in small boats. It recently launched a 180-day Visa Campaign to encourage individual EU states to reciprocate the British provision to allow EU citizens to spend 180 days per visit in the UK by making long stay visas available to UK boating visitors. "

syvictoria

Visit site
I thought that EU citizens have 180 days here. Here is the Cruising Association:

"The CA is the largest UK organisation focussed solely on supporting extended cruising in small boats. It recently launched a 180-day Visa Campaign to encourage individual EU states to reciprocate the British provision to allow EU citizens to spend 180 days per visit in the UK by making long stay visas available to UK boating visitors. "

EU citizens are allowed 180/360 here. I believe that the EU wanted a reciprocal agreement, but the UK government weren't prepared to agree to this for 'ALL' EU citizens, and hence, no deal. The UK citizen long term cruiser therefore has to contend with the limitation of 90/180 thanks to our government and our government alone.

dgadee

Visit site
EU citizens are allowed 180/360 here. I believe that the EU wanted a reciprocal agreement, but the UK government weren't prepared to agree to this for 'ALL' EU citizens, and hence, no deal. The UK citizen long term cruiser therefore has to contend with the limitation of 90/180 thanks to our government and our government alone.

Yes, that's my understanding too. Hard to work out why UK government are opposed but, then again, the EU could simply offer it. I would imagine that Spain, Portugal, Greece will all suffer if temporary residents - property owners, campervans, sailors - all feel they have to change their plans. I am certainly looking at Turkey for next season.

syvictoria

Visit site
Yes, that's my understanding too. Hard to work out why UK government are opposed but, then again, the EU could simply offer it. I would imagine that Spain, Portugal, Greece will all suffer if temporary residents - property owners, campervans, sailors - all feel they have to change their plans. I am certainly looking at Turkey for next season.

I don't think they're opposed to anything. They just want to be seen to have control.

Poignard

Visit site

The CA has a team looking into all the implications of Brexit as they affect yachtsmen.

An organisation well worth joining, in my opinion.*

*I speak with all the authority of someone who was given a gift of a subscription last Christmas, and wishes he had joined years ago ;)

syvictoria

Visit site
I think (and I could be wrong) that the EU could only allow 180/360 over the entire EU for UK citizens via either a specific agreement (which as above the UK wouldn't agree too) or by a change to Schengen (very unlikely as it would have to impact on all third country citizens, not just UK ones). That's why it's now down to individual countries to provide extended visa's if they want to do so.

dgadee

Visit site
I think (and I could be wrong) that the EU could only allow 180/360 over the entire EU for UK citizens via either a specific agreement (which as above the UK wouldn't agree too) or by a change to Schengen (very unlikely as it would have to impact on all third country citizens, not just UK ones). That's why it's now down to individual countries to provide extended visa's if they want to do so.

That may be the case - but UK has usually seen itself as special so that would suit Johnson. I can't see why Schengen would affect anything. Individual countries seem to have the right to change the 90/180 rule but then so must the EU itself if majority voting operates in this area.

Yes, to CA. Very useful organisation if you are travelling by boat.

syvictoria

Visit site
That may be the case - but UK has usually seen itself as special so that would suit Johnson. I can't see why Schengen would affect anything. Individual countries seem to have the right to change the 90/180 rule but then so must the EU itself if majority voting operates in this area.

Yes, to CA. Very useful organisation if you are travelling by boat.

The EU does have the ability, but the UK weren't prepared to agree acceptable terms. FoM applies to ALL EU citizens. The UK wanted to pick and choose. This was, rightly, not acceptable to the EU and so no agreement was reached.

The alternative (almost) EU-wide option would be a change to Schengen visa rules. But why should this happen when for years Americans, etc. have been treated as third country citizens and had to abide by 90/180?

Last option is individual bespoke visas offered by specific EU states. That's whats happening now in some cases, and may or may not become more widespread in the future.

dgadee

Visit site
The EU does have the ability, but the UK weren't prepared to agree acceptable terms. FoM applies to ALL EU citizens. The UK wanted to pick and choose. This was, rightly, not acceptable to the EU and so no agreement was reached.

But - and I may be wrong - all EU citizens presently have 180/360 access to the UK. The CA's argument is that we should have reciprical arrangements from them. I''ve not really understood what the UK's role in all of this actually is. It is the EU declining to reciprocate. Tell me where I am going wrong if I am.

And this is NOT about freedom of movement. It is about holidaying which is a different thing and involves no work. You would need (as a UK citizen) to get a work permit for that. Let's hope billskip doesn't have any more friend's cards.

syvictoria

Visit site
But - and I may be wrong - all EU citizens presently have 180/360 access to the UK. The CA's argument is that we should have reciprical arrangements from them. I''ve not really understood what the UK's role in all of this actually is. It is the EU declining to reciprocate. Tell me where I am going wrong if I am.

AFAIA, the EU wanted an arrangement that was applicable to all citizens travelling in either direction, visa-waived. The UK government wanted the ability to be able to refuse entry.

In fact, I'm not even sure if the current 180 offered by the UK is even in 360? I think EU citizens can be granted almost back to back visas facilitating even longer stays?

Why can Britons only stay 90 days and EU visitors to UK 180?

Edit to add: The 180 days for EU citizens is the UK's fall back position for all third country citizens I believe. The EU's is 90 days as we are currently being offered, albeit visa-waived.