Bad anchoring practice.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
I thought Lakka bay on Paxos was busy at the height of the season, but you win :).

With reference to the OP we were once anchored in Lakka in March and until near dusk it was just us and one empty yacht on a mooring. The Polish flagged yacht that arrived then dropped anchor to leave them sitting <10m off our bow and the crew were in their dink and heading ashore within 3minutes of the engine stopping ☹️ we reanchored

Corona Mia

Visit site
@Roberto sorry mate there gaps between the boats try anchoring anywhere around Malta in the summer ,
The boats are nearly touching , the only good part is come night they all go back to the marina , come first day light and there are back
Agree although I’m in Gozo!?
You find a nice little spot to drop the hook……but some people come alongside like they’re parking their car!
Then they usually turn their Megawatt Stereo on…..so that you can enjoy some of their ‘music’!?

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
The picture is not mine, I took it from the internet; if for whatever reason I were/was(?) obliged to remain in such waters I would give up sailing altogether, absolute nightmare :sick:
I anchored for a lunch stop there in about 1985. There might have been 20 boats. (And you've just poured some very cold water on my plan to revisit).

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Agree although I’m in Gozo!?
You find a nice little spot to drop the hook……but some people come alongside like they’re parking their car!
Then they usually turn their Megawatt Stereo on…..so that you can enjoy some of their ‘music’!?
Best quiet place to anchor around Malta but not the prettiest is on the south by the Free port , Marsaxlook

OldBawley

Visit site
Isn't this lovely :) Check the average size of the boats, no small mobos there

View attachment 123910
We anchored there in 2001. Exactly as in the pic. My wife was furious. Not only because of the lack of privacy but the clothing or lack of clothing of most of the yacht lady s was to much for her.

What I most remember was that during the night the wind and swell changed, stood into the bay.

We ware green then, stayed put. Man what a night. Worst of my rather short anchoring experience.

Little did I know such nights would be part of my life for the next 21 years.

dslittle

Visit site
Over time you get to see all types. We’ve anchored in lots of different places, some busy and sometimes totally alone.

Our ‘worst’ experience was in a lovely little pool with room for three or four boats. We were the second boat in. Found a nice spot to drop the hook well to the starboard of the occupant. As we were dropping back he shouted out (had to shout as we were too far away to talk) that we should F off as he was already anchored there...

I ignored him. An hour later another yacht came in and went an equal distance to his port side. Once again he popped up and told them to F off. They did...

We saw the other yacht a few days later and they explained that they were perfectly happy with their position but felt intimidated by the solo sailor.

I think that he was a solo sailor for a reason!!!

OldBawley

Visit site
What about this : we anchor since 21 years summer and winter. I have some places that I know to be good at certain wind conditions so my boat is often seen at those places.

One of those spots is very good, it is very windy but no waves, the sea wind comes over a low hill, my wind generators work good there.

Now some guy laid a mooring there. He is coming to that place 4 or 5 times a year, has an 4 meter little boat but is not good at anchoring so he put a oil drum full of concrete and iron exactly where I and many others often anchor. Last night we had a storm, my chain was wrapped around that mooring who is at the moment standing upright on a bottom with only 3 meters of water over it. So about 1,5 meter above the drum.

No sleep.

The mooring is illegal. ALL moorings in Greece are illegal. But he is Greek, and I am not.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
We had one idiot decided to anchor between moorings a week or so ago, no thought given to his swinging radius. Damaged one adjacent boat and I'm told also damaged another mooring. Ran aground on sand bank a few times trying to escape, didn't appear to understand what the red channel buoy was there for. Polish flagged (maybe Beneteau) with UK ensign on port spreader. Someone took video of collision for owner of damaged boat and we hear was going to be reported to police.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I should think between us we could write a few volume of bad anchoring and another volume of cock up we all made at times.
I had the odd time some shout you too close before the anchor even leave the bow roller .
There times when the wind isn't strong enough that people have trouble guessing where other boats anchors are and at times knowing where your own anchor is .
There been days when I been at anchor for several days and a boat come in asking where my anchor is . I the reply is In the water .
?.
Joking apart if you go into an anchorage and your getting hassle by another skipper , forget how big you are or how much you can handle your self , just move , I seen alsort of stuff from one guy who cut another boat chain while they where out To dinner another one put diving gear on and remover the shackle and another the guy shouting didn't stop at that , he got on his dinghy with what looked like a base ball bat and assorted the guy on the other boat it was only crys from the guy wife that got other to go over and put a stop to it.
There some real nut jobs out there .
I find once anchored and the boat settle just to pop over and say , it look fine to me what you reckon does the job .

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I should think between us we could write a few volume of bad anchoring and another volume of cock up we all made at times.
I had the odd time some shout you too close before the anchor even leave the bow roller .
There times when the wind isn't strong enough that people have trouble guessing where other boats anchors are and at times knowing where your own anchor is .
There been days when I been at anchor for several days and a boat come in asking where my anchor is . I the reply is In the water .
?.
Joking apart if you go into an anchorage and your getting hassle by another skipper , forget how big you are or how much you can handle your self , just move , I seen alsort of stuff from one guy who cut another boat chain while they where out To dinner another one put diving gear on and remover the shackle and another the guy shouting didn't stop at that , he got on his dinghy with what looked like a base ball bat and assorted the guy on the other boat it was only crys from the guy wife that got other to go over and put a stop to it.
There some real nut jobs out there .
I find once anchored and the boat settle just to pop over and say , it look fine to me what you reckon does the job .
Wise words Vic, these days there are so many folk that are willing and ready to adopt very aggressive tactics/responses that it is never worth engaging with a vengeance. I still mourn my friend who was killed on the second night in the Caribbean after crossing from Europe on his world retirement cruise.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
All we need now is the anchor buoy, a dangerous nuisance if you get it caught round your prop. It effectively reduces the amount of boars that can anchor ahead of another,,,,, the familiar cry in German English You over my Anchor :mad:. The real trouble as for us happens when the wind changes 180 degrees and you are indeed making love to and anchor buoy