Importing gear into Tangier/Morocco

Perrycas

Visit site
Hi, anyone got any experience or know about this? Re taxes, imports, handling etc? thought it might possible through that new (ish)marina . News on its status who'd also be good?
Cheers
P

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I wrote a thread on importing boat equipment some weeks back the import took place in two EU countries and both time and shipping agent was needed to do the paper work .
The only other experience I had which that time didn't involve me was in Tunisia and that's was a night mare and expensive for the cruiser

Both Italy and Malta was straight forward, €140 was the cost in Malta €100 in Italy
Both EU countries was very stright forward .
The cost wasn't only for documents but customs clearance.
I would start off looking for a shipping agent in that country as each countries have their only way and cost , I have a feeling Morocco won't be that easy but until you ask you wont know.

Perrycas

Visit site
I wrote a thread on importing boat equipment some weeks back the import took place in two EU countries and both time and shipping agent was needed to do the paper work .
The only other experience I had which that time didn't involve me was in Tunisia and that's was a night mare and expensive for the cruiser

Both Italy and Malta was straight forward, €140 was the cost in Malta €100 in Italy
Both EU countries was very stright forward .
The cost wasn't only for documents but customs clearance.
I would start off looking for a shipping agent in that country as each countries have their only way and cost , I have a feeling Morocco won't be that easy but until you ask you wont know.
Thanks Vic, Yep, its not an EU country and thought id start asking here for any experience before I started tussling with the courteous, but non English speaking staff I know I am going to encounter in Morocco. I was hoping I might come across someone who might be living there.

stranded

Visit site
No idea about importing but when we were there three years ago the office staff in Tanjer marina spoke excellent English and couldn’t be more helpful. Customs on site so they should be able to let you know the needful.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
A while ago I had a couple of lift outs in Marina Smir. Good quality and cheap labour. Cheap lift. But we always took every thing we could think of with us from Gib. Wouldn't have enjoyed getting stuff sent there. I bet the process is very long winded.....

Perrycas

Visit site
No idea about importing but when we were there three years ago the office staff in Tanjer marina spoke excellent English and couldn’t be more helpful. Customs on site so they should be able to let you know the needful.
thanks great idea. I was there the beginning of last year, not with a boat, and it was more or less complete. At that point they said they didnt do haul outs so good to know they can now

Perrycas

Visit site
A while ago I had a couple of lift outs in Marina Smir. Good quality and cheap labour. Cheap lift. But we always took every thing we could think of with us from Gib. Wouldn't have enjoyed getting stuff sent there. I bet the process is very long winded.....
Where is Marina Smir? cant seem to pick it up?

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Smir is good - but I really would avoid getting stuff imported to Morocco - desperately long winded and going to be problematic. You would need to check with Miguel but Isla Verde which is a Freezone - might bring things in tax free - Islaverde El Rodeo Yacht Center first rate yard - and very reasonable prices - you can stay on the boat or at inexpensive hotels whilst you are hauled...
If not import to Gib then go to Smir to fit....