Malö 116, any opinions?

benoize3691

Visit site
Hi all,

My wife and I are considering sailing the Mediterranean sea in about a year's time and are considering a liveaboard existence. There are a lot of boats to choose from that could easily fit the bill, but the Malö 116 has caught my fancy. However I cannot seem to find any reviews/experiences of this boat on the web. Some youtube vids but nothing in the line of pros and cons and what to look out for when purchasing....
Any owners out there??
Thanks in advance!

Tranona

Visit site
Doubt you will find many opinions on this boat because it was built in very small numbers and mainly sold in Scandinavia . It was an expensive boat designed for use in northern climates and perhaps not best suited to living aboard in the Med - although some people do that, primarily because they bought the boat in their home (northern) country and sailed it there. There are much better boats for the job, more modern and designed for living and sailing in warmer climates.

However Malo has an excellent reputation as a builder so the boats are sound BUT are now 40 years old and are likely to be expensive to maintain to the same standard as they were built. For that reason the few that do come on the market tend to be "cheap" in relation to what they would have cost new.

benoize3691

Visit site
Doubt you will find many opinions on this boat because it was built in very small numbers and mainly sold in Scandinavia . It was an expensive boat designed for use in northern climates and perhaps not best suited to living aboard in the Med - although some people do that, primarily because they bought the boat in their home (northern) country and sailed it there. There are much better boats for the job, more modern and designed for living and sailing in warmer climates.

However Malo has an excellent reputation as a builder so the boats are sound BUT are now 40 years old and are likely to be expensive to maintain to the same standard as they were built. For that reason the few that do come on the market tend to be "cheap" in relation to what they would have cost new.
Hi,
Thanks for your response, I think I get what your saying... So for Mediterranean cruising, what would be your recommendation, assuming the the same budget as for a used Malö 116 (roughly ($60k - $80k range).

billskip

Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for your response, I think I get what your saying... So for Mediterranean cruising, what would be your recommendation, assuming the the same budget as for a used Malö 116 (roughly ($60k - $80k range).
Gibsea 126 is an excellent boat for the med imho. And well within you price range.
Easy single handle and roomy inside .

skipmac

Winter in Florida, Summer Martha's Vineyard
Visit site
...and could I ask where you heard about this? Are there any online sources?
First, Nigel Calder, author of the Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, arguably the bible of boat repair and maintenance owns a Malo. He is a very experienced sailor and I think could buy most any brand he liked.

Second a couple with a Malo was next to me at a boat yard a few years ago and they had nothing but praise for the boat. I didn't get a tour but from the outside (they were hauled out for painting) everything I saw was first class. I would take one in a minute.

benoize3691

Visit site
First, Nigel Calder, author of the Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, arguably the bible of boat repair and maintenance owns a Malo. He is a very experienced sailor and I think could buy most any brand he liked.

Second a couple with a Malo was next to me at a boat yard a few years ago and they had nothing but praise for the boat. I didn't get a tour but from the outside (they were hauled out for painting) everything I saw was first class. I would take one in a minute.
I guess there's also the matter of esthetics. I just like the look of the Malö 116... Looking at the suggestion offered by billskip, I'm sure the Gib'sea 126 is an excellent ship but it looks just a bit too generic for my taste.

billskip

Visit site
I guess there's also the matter of esthetics. I just like the look of the Malö 116... Looking at the suggestion offered by billskip, I'm sure the Gib'sea 126 is an excellent ship but it looks just a bit too generic for my taste.
I agree the malo is a good looking yacht,and I agree they have a good reputation, it will be OK for the med imho,and provided it's been well maintained should give you happy experience.
The Gibsea 126 is a very strong boat and very roomy inside which makes livaboard a lot more comfortable imo.

Tranona

Visit site
Hi,
Don't know if you have sailed or lived aboard in the Med, but it is very different from sailing in northern climes for which the Malo (and many other similar boats) were designed. Inevitably, therefore more modern boats which are largely Med orientated are very different. No boats are really good for living on board, just some are much better than others. Most liveaboards spend 90% of their time stationary and in reality there is very little actual sailing except while getting there or passage making from one cruising ground to another. So mooring and anchoring are important. Most mooring is stern (or bow) to because there are effectively no tides, hence open transoms for boarding and swimming from. Anchoring means being independent of electricity, hence almost universal solar panels and big battery banks (plus big water tanks, toilet holding tanks). For most of the sailing/living season (April-October) temperatures are above 25 degrees and for much of the summer well above that so shade and air circulation are important, so Biminis (because you tend to spend a lot of time in the big cockpit) and lots of opening hatches are desirable.

I could go on, but already you can see these requirements are really not met by the Malo, lovely sailing boat and passage maker that it is. Sure many people do use this type of boat, but as I suggested earlier that is because most are N Europeans and have bought what is available where they live and they ultimately have to accept and live with the shortcomings. One of the ways of getting a better feel for what sort of boat is suitable is to charter a boat for a week or 2 to find out whether you actually like living on a boat in a hot climate. This is exactly what I did over 20 years ago when going through the same process. My dream boat was a Moody 37 - a sort of British equivalent of the Malo and popular with ocean sailors and liveaboards. I was lucky enough to be able to charter one in Greece but realised after a few days it was unsuitable for the job. Next year I chartered a Bavaria 42 and the following year bought a Bavaria 37 which we had for 10 years, holidaying and living aboard for short periods. Might not be as aesthetic as a Malo, or even the Moody, but far superior as a tool for the job. Not surprising that this style of boat and its newer equivalents are the boat of choice for the environment.

Regrettably though your budget - if it really is in US $ rules out many more modern boats of 34-40'. You don't say where you are located as this has a big impact on what sort of boats you can buy, nor what your overall plan is - for example if going to the Med is part of a bigger adventure you can perhaps tolerate the negatives for a couple of years in return for the positives of more active cruising in more demanding conditions. One thing to bear in mind is that whatever you buy, and however you plan to cruise, equipping the boat will cost a lot - at the level of the market you are looking at as much as 50% of your budget will go on preparation. So your $80k for the boat needs another $40-60k for preparation, or if your total budget is $80k then look at paying $50k for the best boat you can find. Of course some people are more tolerant of "economical" living and survive and run boats on very limited budgets - but the old chestnut is that "Cruising on a boat (on a budget) is really about fixing things continuously in nice places".

There are plenty of youtubes about folks who buy a boat intending to sail off into the sunset with all levels of budget on all sorts of boats. The common theme on them all is that old chestnut though - and many of them don't actually make it out of their home waters. Behind them are many more who buy a boat with an unrealistic view of what is involved, hence the rows of abandoned projects in many boatyards.

Sorry if it sounds negative - but if you are realistic and get going it is a great life for many.

doug748

Visit site
Hi all,

My wife and I are considering sailing the Mediterranean sea in about a year's time and are considering a liveaboard existence. There are a lot of boats to choose from that could easily fit the bill, but the Malö 116 has caught my fancy. However I cannot seem to find any reviews/experiences of this boat on the web. Some youtube vids but nothing in the line of pros and cons and what to look out for when purchasing....
Any owners out there??
Thanks in advance!

Here is a video of the delivery of a similar boat:

Not very useful in itself but the MD of the company posts on here as Halcyon Yachts and, if you sent a PM (personal message) to him, I am sure he might help.

I see John Rodriguez has a 38, he also posts on the forum and is a very experienced sailor as well as a broker:

Yachts For Sale with John Rodriguez Yachts - ABYA Yacht Broker

Lovely boats, watch the teak decks. If you just want to float around the Med in holiday mode you might choose to buy down there; something that was designed specifically for that. If you have an eye to long term ownership and more varied sailing then you could do a lot worse.

benoize3691

Visit site
Thanks Tranona for taking the time and writing your views on the matter! I really appreciate this kind of advice because it is rooted in experience. Today I had my first look at a HR 352 and it coincides exactly with what you say here above. There is no way I would want to spend any significnat amount of time in a boat with a layout like that. It was rally a fundamental shift in how I thought I would appreciate boats...
So, I guess I'll try and widen my search with more tendencies towards living space etc...
Thanks again!

benoize3691

Visit site
Thanks for the post Doug 748. I really , really like the look of these boats... but as many have pointed out, perhaps not suitable for Mediterranean sailing.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Thanks for the post Doug 748. I really , really like the look of these boats... but as many have pointed out, perhaps not suitable for Mediterranean sailing.

One point I don't think has been mentioned so far is how hot timber decks are in the sun and when due for replacement, similar cost to your budget for buying.

benoize3691

Visit site
One point I don't think has been mentioned so far is how hot timber decks are in the sun and when due for replacement, similar cost to your budget for buying.
Yeah, I've read a lot about that too! I've heard a lot of good things about synthetic teak (actually saw a boat with synthetic teak yesterday: I was impressed). Anyone know what they are like in hot climates??

Tranona

Visit site
Yeah, I've read a lot about that too! I've heard a lot of good things about synthetic teak (actually saw a boat with synthetic teak yesterday: I was impressed). Anyone know what they are like in hot climates??
Just as hot as real teak but won't wear out or leak!. KISS principle - boat is for living on not necessarily looking at so plain GRP decks are best. Does not mean that boat has to be ugly or not smart looking, but there is enough to do to keep a boat working properly without adding extra work just because it looks good. Of course when buying older boats you don't have so much choice, but boats in your age/budget range with teak decks are best avoided unless they have been replaced and glued down rather than screwed, although you can't avoid the heat issue and ongoing maintenance. They are OK in places like Sweden or New England where boats stay out for 5 months a year in the long warm summer days and get put in a shed for the winter, but a liability all year round in hot climates.

Kelpie

Visit site
I'll just chip in with my own limited experience, we bought and outfitted a 39ft boat for about £40k, but everywhere we go we are definitely the oldest and scruffiest boat in the anchorage. Doesn't bother us, we get the same view!

We just bought what was on the market at the time and represented good value and good condition. Kept a totally open mind about aft vs centre cockpit and other matters. If you decide to narrow your search to a very specific boat or set of requirements, you will make life much harder than it needs to be. Every aspect of boat design is a compromise, just get a boat that has been looked after and learn to love it.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Teak deck of my previous boat needed replacing.
Opted for Marinedeck 2000 (Stazo® marinedeck | Stazo).
Best thing since sliced bread.
Good anti-slip properties and acts as insulation. Keeps the cold out in winter and the heat in summer.
And you could walk on it barefoot in the midday sun - something which is not always the case with other synthetic teak.

FWIW: a Malo 116 was on my shortlist when I was buying last year.
However, despite being almost 40 years old, the seller still wanted a premium price, effectively putting her outside of my reach.
You tend to see that a lot would Scandinavian boats, and IMHO it's not always warranted.

ashtead

Visit site
As a comment on decks we have Flexiteak on the side decks and it does get hot even in Jersey and France in the summer but no hotter than teak and so far after 5 years no issues . If I was looking to take our boat to med my focus would be on buying kit here which can be serviced out there. We are 12.8 m so enough space for a couple and to fit in kit . I would be looking if you can for a vessel with water maker,davits generator and solar panels fitted, decent size diesel ,say around 50 but 40 is fine ,plenty of tankage for both water and diesel etc . So in your search draw up a list with a few features and start comparing. I suspect your problem will be the budget will force you down in size but if you can accept an older boat which has spent many years out in Levkas or such like you might find with a bit of tyre kicking older boats where their owners are retiring home, however these older boats might not be what you have in mind . In summary you end up I suspect with a mass market AWB like a Bav 39 with plenty of space ,built around 2005 say which has clocked up the miles, has what is today consider a dark wood interior but the kit will be all mainstream. I’ve never bought a med boat but it might be worth if you find such a vessel speaking to those who have I guess. Happy hunting and maybe once you have targeted some in budget share a few details here-it’s easy to fall in love with a particular boat but forumites will soon rip off those rose tinted spectacles . Just be wary though of the brand apostles . If you do find a brand many have owners websites so another source of views even if not neutral ones.

benoize3691

Visit site
I'll just chip in with my own limited experience, we bought and outfitted a 39ft boat for about £40k, but everywhere we go we are definitely the oldest and scruffiest boat in the anchorage. Doesn't bother us, we get the same view!

We just bought what was on the market at the time and represented good value and good condition. Kept a totally open mind about aft vs centre cockpit and other matters. If you decide to narrow your search to a very specific boat or set of requirements, you will make life much harder than it needs to be. Every aspect of boat design is a compromise, just get a boat that has been looked after and learn to love it.
...so, What did you end up buying?