Lovely Lowestoft

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Well, what an eye opener! Lowestoft - Wells next the sea - Grimsby - Bridlington - Scarborough. A truly great section of our little cruise. Here's a bit about Lowestoft.

I like both a bit of spit 'n' sawdust, greasy spoon, industrial landscape "grit" and posh coffee, microbrewery, G&T in the club "swanky", so I've scored on both.

Lowestoft has both the friendly LCC up near the pretty Oulton Broad and the swanky (but still friendly) Royal. Walk along the broad, take a train to Beccles and beyond. In addition to local Lowestoft chandlers, Beccles also has ASAP for marine whatsits and thingamabobs. Walk the beaches, paddle & check out the fish and chips.

BF's top tips : Lunch & / drinkies at the RN&SYC, the Old Dairy or Cafe 142 in Oulton Broad for coffe/lunch, the longish walk to Beccles, lunch at the deli and train back, the beach and the most Easterly point of the UK.

Oh, and a special mention for Tapas nights at cafe 142 on the weekends - lovely spot & great service. And a second special mention for the Posh Pigs at the industrial estate where ASAP is situated - not at all posh, but just about the best traditional English "caff" I've been to.

Grittiness : 3
Swankyness : 3

The RNSYC has the best "gents" ....
IMG_20210904_135652_compress7.jpg

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
As I was exiting the RN&SYC refreshed by good fayre and company, dressed in something slightly smarter than salty sailing clothes, after a hard and taxing sail from Harwich, I spied a notice by the door announcing that Members and Visitors when in the Clubhouse shall wear a jacket and tie (men obviously) and ladies should dress appropriately.

Ooops!

A truly hospitable and friendly atmosphere and superb facilities both onshore and in the marina. I didn't get to see the facilities in the Ladies but well remember those amazing urinals in the Gentlemen's

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
As I was exiting the RN&SYC refreshed by good fayre and company, dressed in something slightly smarter than salty sailing clothes, after a hard and taxing sail from Harwich, I spied a notice by the door announcing that Members and Visitors when in the Clubhouse shall wear a jacket and tie (men obviously) and ladies should dress appropriately.
They certainly didn't worry about that when three weary mariners arrived after making the passage from Whitby! They made us very welcome, even down to being met on the pontoon by a lady who helped with our lines. And no one even raised an eyebrow about us having a very nice meal in their posh dining room in very casual clothing. Altogether a very good first landfall in my new cruising ground.

V1701

Visit site
Not my experience of the Royal Knobs & Snobs a couple of years ago, the so-called bosun was particularly unhelpful, I would not revisit...(n)

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Knobs and Snobs gave me a massive discount in winter sitting out a storm, nice people; the swell comes in hard though and if taking refuge from weather, I would go through the bridge next time, popped a few fenders etc.
The Greggs bakery is excellent and when outside, some tattooed locals offered to sell me some heroin; good old Blighty;)

pvb

Visit site
Lowestoft is so nice that our cleaning lady resigned and moved there last year.
She and her husband and young family love it.
Our loss, Lowestoft's gain!

Lowestoft obviously has a caring mentality. This is amply demonstrated by the large number of charity shops in the high street.

Leighb

Visit site
The Maritime Museum in Lowestoft is worth a visit, but it is a fair walk, while you are in the vicinity you can visit “The most Easterly Diner in England” When we were there this did the most amazing fry-ups and you could choose the exact mixture that you wanted from a long list of choices.

Poignard

Visit site
Just what I posted. Lowestoft has loads of charity shops, so the locals must be generous, caring citizens.
I dare say you're right but as you quoted my post I naturally wondered what your thoughts on the generous, caring citizens of Lowestoft had to do with our cleaner.

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
Not my experience of the Royal Knobs & Snobs a couple of years ago, the so-called bosun was particularly unhelpful, I would not revisit...(n)
He's not always the most 'customer orientated' of people, especially after being annoyed by one of the members before a visitor arrives.
Although one of the biggest crimes is to arrive in the Yacht Basin without using the radio to get clearance in advance. Calling the Harbour Master on 14 isn't enough, he likes to be called on 80, too!

WoodyP

Visit site
I spent a Winter at Lowestoft cruising club when I couldn't get back to my home mooring because of injury. Been in many times before and since to the Norfolk and Suffolk. The railway station makes it a great option because of the ease of access. I like it even though the town is a bit run down, like a lot of the east coast end of the line towns.

Charlie Boy

Visit site
Is the Mincalo beam trawler still there? It was a very interesting museum piece. Also the maritime museum was good, at the time there were several old salts manning it who had plenty of stories about old Lowestoft