Failed to remove the shaft coupling

Seastoke

Visit site
Hi Lucas have you used a dial gauge to make sure the flange and shaft are running parallel before you connect flange .

Lucas Gan

Visit site
@fisherman The UK 7/16" bolts supply is also made of stainless steel only. The difference is they have A4(316) grade while local store M10 and M12 is A2(304) grade, and yes, the right choice is unf bolts. Of course I will order the right side 7/16" unf bolts to replace them later when they arrived.

Good the bolts from Screwfix. M12 is too big. Only can fit M10. Should get some M10 as temp solution.

Last edited:

Lucas Gan

Visit site
@seastoke I can't have them at the moment as they are not available locally. I will use some normal M10 to get it back to the water, then replace them one by one on the water next week.

It is just one-mile water away from the Marina to home. Should be okay by the M10.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
These bolts look like the ones to the clamp. They're too long. They are around 84mm. I need something between 50mm to 58mm. Found a supplier, but just need to wait for a few more days. So it's ok to change them one by one later when the boat is on the water.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Funny, I am now actually trying to use the original 7/16" bolts for a temporary solution to drive the boat home. They are just perfectly long enough if I don't use the washer.

Edit: I just ordered some A4 stainless 7/16" unf bolts and same grade nylon locking nuts. Will delivery next week when the boat is already home.

Last edited:

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Starboard side shaft all done. But the port side incurred a problem is that the new coupling can't match attach to the gearbox flange. The last few mm can't click in. Don't know why. I am guessing probably need to hammer a bit the coupling to make it turns a bit the angle.

kashurst

Visit site
Don't hammer anything - if the coupling doesnt align with the gearbox flange, the engine position needs to be adjusted slightly. I take it the coupling goes up to teh flange and touches at one point but not all the way around?

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I will check later today. I am painting the bottom at the moment.

I don't know how to adjust the engine position! Sounds like difficult as the engine is extremely heavy. It's inboard Volvo Penta TAMD61A, it's 5.7L, 306 horsepower. I don't think I can move it even 0.1mm.

Mr Googler

Visit site
I will check later today. I am painting the bottom at the moment.

Don't know how to adjust the engine position! Sounds like difficult as the engine is extremely heavy. It's inboard Volvo Penta TAMD61A, it's 5.7L, 306 horsepower. I don't think I can move it even 0.1mm.

Adjustment is via the engine mounts. Slacken off the top bolts and adjust the bottom “supporting“ bolts to wind the engine up or down.

1630232507378.jpeg

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Thank you. I will try the coupling adjustment first as the old coupling was perfectly fit. And I am afraid I may make another problem once I touch the engine mount.

kashurst

Visit site
It's not as difficult as it sounds. You don't have to try and lift the engine up. The feet are adjustable and it's just a question of adjusting by turning nuts up or down a turn or two.
The engine may be slightly to the left or the right but a big piece of wood down the side as a lever with the top mounting nuts slacked off and it will move a midge sideways.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Thank God! I finally attached the new coupling to the gearbox without any adjustment. It just this port side a bit tighter than the starboard side. So I just used wood as a lever, then pull the same time, and it is in after a few tried. Jobs done! Just waiting another hour to paint the AF then she is ready to back to water!!

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you to support me during these extremely difficult Jobs!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210829-163140-377.png
    Screenshot_20210829-163140-377.png
    680.9 KB · Views: 56

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Yes, all anodes will be on after AF painting.

The last question hopefully: is the propeller has a fixed direction for the front and rear side? Or is it only need to put the blades direction current but doesn't matter which side facing is front or rear? Check my pictures comparison before and after. Hopefully, I pup them correctly. Thanks.

Edit: oh I think I found my answer. It has front and rear different facing. The two sides front and rear have different shades. And the pros have sighted to tell which one is right hand or left hand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210829-170210.png
    Screenshot_20210829-170210.png
    632.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20210829-170444-953~2.png
    Screenshot_20210829-170444-953~2.png
    490.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Lucas Gan

Visit site
One more trouble! The propeller locking nuts and pins are taken by the boatyard technician while they removing the pros trying to repair. Today is a bank holiday! Hopefully, they are keeping them as I booked the relaunch this Wednesday morning! So I only have tomorrow to find out where they are. Or shopping around to get new nuts and pins in just one day! The problem is the local marine store only provide British standard thread nuts!

Last edited:

fisherman

Visit site
One more trouble! The propeller locking nuts and pins are taken by the boatyard technician, and today is a bank holiday! Hopefully, they are keeping them as I booked the relaunch this Wednesday morning! So I only have tomorrow to find out where they are. Or shopping around to get new nuts and pins in just one day!
Sure they have them, The alternative is a locking tab washer. Between the nut and prop it is a large washer with a tab that goes into the keyway, then you fold the washer outside edges onto the nut flats to stop it turning.