Roaming charges are back

jordanbasset

Visit site
People who spend the large majority of their time abroad will surely have a local sim. It seems to me this effects most those who spend a couple of months here and there abroad. Yes they can get a local sim for that time, but of course that will be on top of what they are already paying for their UK Sim/contract.
It is also true that you can go to other providers, but I did notice earlier on in this thread when it was just EE affected, some one suggested moving to Vodafone, obviously no longer an option. Currently we have the number 1 and number 3 providers who have decided to charge for roaming, I suspect they will not be the last. There may be one or two small fry left still operating roaming at the ned of this, but I also suspect you will pay a premium for that

nortada

Visit site
People who spend the large majority of their time abroad will surely have a local sim. It seems to me this effects most those who spend a couple of months here and there abroad. Yes they can get a local sim for that time, but of course that will be on top of what they are already paying for their UK Sim/contract.
It is also true that you can go to other providers, but I did notice earlier on in this thread when it was just EE affected, some one suggested moving to Vodafone, obviously no longer an option. Currently we have the number 1 and number 3 providers who have decided to charge for roaming, I suspect they will not be the last. There may be one or two small fry left still operating roaming at the end of this, but I also suspect you will pay a premium for that
Not necessarily true. Especially if they cruise between different countries.

Before universal roaming, we had a local (NOS) SIM but when the current roaming allowances came in because it quickly, became apparent that using 3 was a far cheaper option, like many others, we ditched the local provider. Unlike the local provider 3 works in all countries we visit.

With 71 roaming destinations I wouldn’t describe 3 as small fry. Rather, 3 regard the 27 as rather small fry and continue to push roaming as a USP.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Not necessarily true.

Before universal roaming we had a local SIM but when the current roaming allowances came in because we it quickly became apparent that using 3 was a far cheaper option so we ditched the local provider. Unlike the local provider 3 works in all countries we visit.

I wouldn’t describe 3 as small fry.
Nor would I, nor did I, when I said Vodafone and EE would not be the last, I was thinking about Three among others who will follow suit and and also stop roaming in the coming 12 months

nortada

Visit site
Nor would I, nor did I, when I said Vodafone and EE would not be the last, I was thinking about Three among others who will follow suit and and also stop roaming in the coming 12 months
Do you think 3 will ditch roaming in the 27 but continue to provide it in the remaining 44 countries?

More likely, 3 will continue their current policy and look forward to picking up a lot of business from other providers who no longer provide roaming.

As an aside, during the Covid lockdown, 3 set aside it’s Fair Usage Policy.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Do you think 3 will ditch roaming in the 27 but continue to provide it in the remaining 44 countries?

More likely, 3 will continue their current policy and look forward to picking up a lot of business from other providers who no longer provide roaming.
Time will tell, you could be right, but I think as more and more companies go back on their commitment not to introduce roaming charges Three will see it as a money making opportunity and also re-introduce them. For the majority of UK people who only spend a couple of weeks in the EU it will make little difference. So Three will do an accounting exercise and I suspect come to the same conclusion that EE and Vodafone did, they can make more profit with roaming charges than without roaming charges - follow the money

nortada

Visit site
Time will tell, you could be right, but I think as more and more companies go back on their commitment not to introduce roaming charges Three will see it as a money making opportunity and also re-introduce them. For the majority of UK people who only spend a couple of weeks in the EU it will make little difference. So Three will do an accounting exercise and I suspect come to the same conclusion that EE and Vodafone did, they can make more profit with roaming charges than without roaming charges - follow the money
Do EE and Vodafone (UK) provide roaming worldwide?

st599

Visit site
People who spend the large majority of their time abroad will surely have a local sim.

The UK was pushing for registration of SIMs which would require proof of local address in an attempt to combat criminals using burner phones.

Is that still on the cards?

3 only own network infrastructure in 7 countries - they offer a good deal in neighbouring countries/economic blocs of which these are part. Whether they ditch roaming will depend on whether they can still get the deals on leasing network capacity in countries they don't have infrastructure in. The EU leasing was limited to costs plus a small profit. Not that's not regulated, you'll have to wait and see.

nortada

Visit site
3 only own network infrastructure in 7 countries - they offer a good deal in neighbouring countries/economic blocs of which these are part. Whether they ditch roaming will depend on whether they can still get the deals on leasing network capacity in countries they don't have infrastructure in. The EU leasing was limited to costs plus a small profit. Not that's not regulated, you'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for this extra info.

As you say we will all have to wait and see. If necessary we will employ Plan B, which would be to revert to our previous position before universal roaming was available.

cherod

Visit site
EE to reintroduce Europe roaming charges in January

Mobile operator EE will charge new UK customers extra to use their mobile phones in Europe from January.
Those joining or upgrading from 7 July 2021 will be charged £2 a day to use their allowances in 47 European destinations from January 2022.
EE, which is part of BT Group, previously said it had no plans to reintroduce roaming charges in Europe.
does that mean if one does not upgrade then they can continue as is , without roaming charge

Kelpie

Visit site
Lebara uses the Vodafone network. I would expect similar roaming restrictions.
As far as I'm aware the piggyback networks do not necessarily follow the roaming policies of the bigger company. I'm with Plus Net and they have not informed me of any plan to introduce charges, despite being on the EE network.

doug748

Visit site
Indeed, Asda are switching to Vodaphone but there has been no mention of roaming charges in Europe. Granted they are trying to woo their present customers to make the switch with them but it would be quite a volte face to make in future.
Nothing is impossible, but similarly for Lebara who are actually embedded in Europe.

As someone said, if people switch from opportunistic charging, it will concentrate minds.

Seven Spades

Visit site

As an aside, during the Covid lockdown, 3 set aside it’s Fair Usage Policy.
Three has already changed something. Last week I tried to call a friend on his mobile in France and I got a pre-recorded message saying that the call would cost £2.41 per minute or something higher it was well over £2 a minute.

nortada

Visit site
Three has already changed something. Last week I tried to call a friend on his mobile in France and I got a pre-recorded message saying that the call would cost £2.41 per minute or something higher it was well over £2 a minute.

Interesting, where you trying to call a French number or a UK number in France?

As a Three user, so far as I can see nothing has changed.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

My wife calls her sister in France from time to time and uses a spare phone with an old Three Pay & Go SIM. I'm pretty certain that she mentioned seeing something about their charges jumping up to more than £2 per minute for calls to France. It was a little while back and a few days ago she mentioned that she couldn't find the very high rate now and only saw 25.2p per minute. She did say that some international special numbers are charged at £2.75 per minute but thought they were premium rate ones. Perhaps that what she spotted a few weeks ago.

I think she used to pay about 6p per minute and 25.2p is the current cost but could be wrong.

UPDATE:
I found the reference to £2.75 on Three's website (might explain the recorded message)
Calls to international special numbers aren't covered by your monthly allowance of voice minutes and are charged at £2.75 per minute. These include calls to international premium rate and some international personal numbers. We'll do our best to play you a recorded announcement when you connect to any of these numbers.

Personal numbers in France are only charges at £2.75 if they start with 00338
I'll mention it to her tomorrow as her sister's number begins with 00332 and won't be £2.75. :D

Last edited: