No MDL Hospitality at Southampton Boat Show 2021

MikeB.

Visit site
Just had confirmation from MDL that they will not be at this years SIBS at all .
The opportunity to drink at least your annual berthing fee is now gone! I guess forever….
What with no free tea and coffee and the odd warm lager in a comfy lounge all for free and the inconvenience of Covid tests I’ll probably give it a miss this year, although the opportunity to look at massage chairs and spa baths may be too much to give up ….

Last edited:

Northern Star

Visit site
There was supposed to be a mini boat show at Penton Hook marina last month too but that didn't happen and I got the free drinks voucher offer too for Southampton but sadly won't be going as it was a bit of a waste of money last time I went and very few boats of any interest.

Boat2016

Visit site
MDL have taken away all the things they used to provide to berthholders, all you get now is just a berth and that is it, probably realised their profits are better when they don’t give away anything.

ari

Visit site
Last year when the show was cancelled the night before, many boat exhibitors simply moved their boats nearby and exhibited them anyway. MDL would have had to just write off the (must be massive) cost of the stand, the set up, any additional agency staff and the exhibiting costs. I can understand why they'd be reluctant to commit again after that.

Add the fact that its marinas must be pretty full given the huge boom in boating (easy to sell more boats, hard to create more berths) and it probably wasn't a hard (or wrong) decision to ditch SBS.

Seastoke

Visit site
They are at the show to promote berths , now they are full they don’t need to do it . If you want a warm lager I will buy you one.

INT QRK

Visit site
They are at the show to promote berths , now they are full they don’t need to do it.

I suspect that you've achieved hammer/nail head interface there. Whilst it was nice to have somewhere to drop into I did think the whole thing was a bit overblown and not a particularly good use of their marketing budget.