Engine bay fire extinguishers

harvey38

Visit site
Have you thoght of asking Boeing ? :p
If you're referring to Saturday's United Airlines incident, nothing to do with Boeing apart from the engine was bolted to the underside of one of their aircraft. Half a blade tearing through the cowling is more to do with P&W, fortunately there were no hydraulic systems interrupted when the blade let go and debris went through into the main gear well ?

Easticks28

Visit site
If you're referring to Saturday's United Airlines incident, nothing to do with Boeing apart from the engine was bolted to the underside of one of their aircraft. Half a blade tearing through the cowling is more to do with P&W, fortunately there were no hydraulic systems interrupted when the blade let go and debris went through into the main gear well ?
Humour relapse ?

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
My reason for asking is due to some of the more modern fire extinguishments (like FM200) cooling the engine bay as opposed to starving it of oxygen.
I’m struggling to find a definitive answer as to how exactly the ‘clean agent’ extinguishers work, although I’m fairly sure that the blast of CO2 or whatever will effectively stop the engine. More worrying is the need for a closed environment, free of incoming oxygen for approximately 10 minutes after deployment. Not a description of your average engine bay :(
Halon Replacements: Inert Gas, Clean Agents And Water Mist Systems

jms28

Visit site
Reading this thread with great interest!

Currently looking to replace our old Halon extinguisher in the engine room of our Cranchi Mediterranee 40 with 2 x Volvo Penta TAMD61A engines.

Currently in Greece and my neighbour here in the marina with the same engines and similar sized boat has 2 x automatic Rasant Novtec 1230 extinguishers, 4kg each. Started researching and also contacted a local supplier here in Greece, who recommended Bonpet capsules. After watching this, I am rather not convinced... o_O

Concern with gas-based extinguishers is that the engine room is vented, so not sure if concentration will definitely be enough. Rather not keen on foam, since it leaves such a mess. I estimate the engine room to be approx 8-10m3 in volume. Rather narrow, so placing something right above the engines could be tricky...

Anyone in a similar situation like me and able to share some experience? Would be super grateful!

Best,
Mike

harvey38

Visit site

Currently looking to replace our old Halon extinguisher in the engine room of our Cranchi Mediterranee 40 with 2 x Volvo Penta TAMD61A engines.

Currently in Greece and my neighbour here in the marina with the same engines and similar sized boat has 2 x automatic Rasant Novtec 1230 extinguishers, 4kg each. Started researching and also contacted a local supplier here in Greece, who recommended Bonpet capsules. After watching this, I am rather not convinced... o_O

Concern with gas-based extinguishers is that the engine room is vented, so not sure if concentration will definitely be enough. Rather not keen on foam, since it leaves such a mess. I estimate the engine room to be approx 8-10m3 in volume. Rather narrow, so placing something right above the engines could be tricky...

Anyone in a similar situation like me and able to share some experience? Would be super grateful!

Best,
Mike
I ended up fitting an automatic 6kg clean air unit, good for up to 10 m3, not cheap but

Best,
Mike

When I started digging around and asking questions, there is limited information out there, the gist was "Fit one appropriate to the size of the engine bay". When I asked about engine ingestion or the extinguishant escaping through vents, it fell on deaf ears so I went for an automatic 6kg clean air unit that is slightly oversize but better that way.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Depends on your budget Mike. A SeaFire system with auto engine and blower shut off, etc and two appropriately sized cylinders is going to set you back the best part of £4k I'd have thought.

It's also worth considering the type of cruising you do. If you only ever potter about where there are lots of other boats then the chances are a fire will just sink your boat (and not kill you). If you do lots of offshore passages / winter boating then it might be worth more of an investment.

Just make sure that whatever you do, meets your insurance requirements.

jms28

Visit site
Thanks for all the input. Budget is more like a few hundreds, rather than thousands... But also don't want to be too greedy when it comes to safety, so looking to get something proper but reasonably priced.

We mostly use our boat as a day cruiser around a small island in Greece currently, but looking to undertake bigger trips in the next few years (Ioanian Islands e.g.).

Anyone here cruising around Greece and able to provide a good contact for automatic gas extinguishers? Obviously already identified a few potential companies on the web and started reaching out, but with mixed results so far.

Thks

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Thanks for all the input. Budget is more like a few hundreds, rather than thousands... But also don't want to be too greedy when it comes to safety, so looking to get something proper but reasonably priced.

We mostly use our boat as a day cruiser around a small island in Greece currently, but looking to undertake bigger trips in the next few years (Ioanian Islands e.g.).

Anyone here cruising around Greece and able to provide a good contact for automatic gas extinguishers? Obviously already identified a few potential companies on the web and started reaching out, but with mixed results so far.

Thks
@vas