Failed to remove the shaft coupling

Lucas Gan

Visit site
@fisherman The spacer is 25mm in diameter only. So it's not covered the key.

@TheCoach I checked again. There are no any more screw whatsoever. The screw hole can see the shaft clearly.

I am thinking of grinder cut the coupling now after almost one more hour trying to free the stuffing box nut but failed.

Last edited:

TheCoach

Visit site
If it had then the key could be tapered so you are pulling it tighter?

Couple of hefty blows on the flange when its hot to see if it will move down the shaft and release the key?

Would this damage anything further down the shaft?

TC

fisherman

Visit site
This is a longshot: in #36 the key looks like it has two flats and two rounded sides: I've seen a case where a tapped hole was drilled in the shaft/coupling interface with a screw in it. If that is a screw you may need to give the coupling a tap towards the shaft to release pressure. (Also, looks like a second keyway on the near side of the coupling, but not in the shaft, in the pic)

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Ok. I am going to practice a bit my grinder skills in the back garden as I never used a grinder before.

Open my new bosch grinder box, found no disc in it! Have to go to buy a disc before training.

Seastoke

Visit site
Ok. I am going to practice a bit my grinder skills in the back garden as I never used a grinder before.

Open my new bosch grinder box, found no disc in it! Have to go to buy a disc before training.
There are different discs get the very thinnest you can , and get a few.

Caraway

Visit site
Ah.

I don't use the safety guard as that usually stops you getting to where you need to be. (That's me. I am not recommending that)
Always wear safety goggles or a visor (but visors mist up)
Always wear leather gloves.
Always hold it with two hands.
Don't try to start the grinder with the blade already in the cut (it can grab and jump out of your hand. Don't try to catch it!)
Don't use the switch lock, it can keep on running if things go wrong.
Don't stand in line with the radial axis of the disc (if it breaks it will stab you with lots of little bits of disc.)
Always cut with the rotating edge of the disc that is spinning towards you. Which means the appliance is trying to move away from you. (If you touch the disc to the work piece and it tries to drive the appliance towards you, you are a target).
Don't put it down before it has stopped spinning.

Bound to be things that people disagree with, but that has kept me safe for a few decades.

On the discs . Get 1mm discs and pay more than you need to. Most cheap discs blow away to powder and if they get damp will crack when they heat up. (multi pack discs in Big Sheds are usually rubbish)
115mm discs will fit inside the guard. 125mm discs probably won't.
Get metal cutting discs, not stone.
Stainless steel, Inox discs are usually what they are called. Screwfix sell a range some branded like Bosch and DeWalt. I have been using their Norton discs without any failures.

Last edited:

fisherman

Visit site
Before you go mad, just try to turn the key with a spanner. the more I look at it the more likely it seems, the key is left proud, but not enough to foul the male register on the gearbox side. The old keyway is visible, new shaft installed, drilled and tapped instead of a key. It's a method used in PTO couplings.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Before you go mad, just try to turn the key with a spanner. the more I look at it the more likely it seems, the key is left proud, but not enough to foul the male register on the gearbox side. The old keyway is visible, new shaft installed, drilled and tapped instead of a key. It's a method used in PTO couplings.
You mean that the end of what looks like a key is actually the head of a machine screw?

cherod

Visit site
Ah.

I don't use the safety guard as that usually stops you getting to where you need to be. (That's me. I am not recommending that)
Don't try to start the grinder with the blade already in the cut (it can grab and jump out of your hand. Don't try to catch it!)
Don't stand in line with the radial axis of the disc (if it breaks it will stab you with lots of little bits of disc.)
Always cut with the rotating edge of the disc that is spinning towards you. Which means the appliance is trying to move away from you. (If you touch the disc to the work piece and it tries to drive the appliance towards you, you are a target).

Bound to be things that people disagree with, but that has kept me safe for a few decades.

On the discs . Get 1mm discs and pay more than you need to. Most cheap discs blow away to powder and if they get damp will crack when they heat up. (multi pack discs in Big Sheds are usually rubbish)
Stainless steel, Inox discs are usually what they are called. Screwfix sell a range some branded like Bosch and DeWalt. I have been using their Norton discs without any failures.
thats all sound advice ,, yoo nows yer grinding (y)

Falling Star

Visit site
Ah.

Yes to all that. Plus, use some ear defenders.
Noisy things, grinders.
You could be there a while.............

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Maybe it's the key stopping it comes off. I tried to hammer the coupling into the shaft forward to the propeller direction to see if that can get the key out. But no use. The coupling just no any movement no matter how hard I hammer it. I am now going to order the 10 pack Bosch 115mm cutting disc.

Is this fit the job?
Bosch Metal Cutting Discs 4½

Many thanks.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Maybe it's the key stopping it comes off. I tried to hammer the coupling into the shaft forward to the propeller direction to see if that can get the key out. But no use. The coupling just no any movement no matter how hard I hammer it. I am now going to order the 10 pack Bosch 115mm cutting disc.

Is this fit the job?
Bosch Metal Cutting Discs 4½

Many thanks.
Did you try @fisherman suggestion of getting a spanner on the end of the key and try to unscrew it?

burgundyben

Visit site
Cool. That’s an interesting idea.
There must be something there stopping this coming off. Kudos to @Lucas Gan for perseverance!

I'm not convinced we (Lucas or people on this forum) understand the joint.

What takes the fwd thrust?

Lucas says its not a taper.

So it must be parallel.

Interference fit? I've never seen one, how would the boat buikder have assembled it?

Grub screws? Do they penetrate into the shaft?

The key to getting the [Inappropriate content removed] off is understanding the joint and how it was put together.

Or Lucas needs big boy pants and go banjax with the grinder. Shame to wreck the shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucas Gan

Visit site
The key is just a normal square key. Not looks like any hidden trick in there. I can see the keyseat hole from behind the coupling. Just can't remove the key anyway.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210731-195934-043.png
    Screenshot_20210731-195934-043.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20210731-200057-562.png
    Screenshot_20210731-200057-562.png
    403.1 KB · Views: 85