Cap Camarat 9.0 WA

Alwaysbyboat

Visit site
I am considering a Cap Camarat 9.0WA, and currently have a Monterey 278ss. My boating ground is the Spanish Med. The deadrise of my Monterey is 21 degrees whereas the CC is only 16 degrees. Would this mean the CC will have a tendency to slam more?
Main reason to consider moving to the CC is to have a closed bow and a bowtruster. The 278 is a great boat but it’s a bow rider so I need to be careful in what seas I take her out. Any 9.0WA owners that can share experience? Many thanks in advance

Mr Googler

Visit site
Go for a proper open bow centre console boat with 24.5 degree dead rise.

Youll never have to be “careful“ again! ?

Portofino

Visit site
Yes to the slamming Q
The dead rise difference is not a linear relationship.There is sq or even cube in the vertical acceleration equation.
So a 20 to 15 drop in dead rise does not mean a 25 % increase in vertical acceleration it means a sq or cube at a given speed at the same wave height.
So to get to same comfort levels in the 20 , the 15 has to slow down or cease going out in big waves - use it in calmer conditions.

Last edited:

julians

Visit site
I'm surprised that the cap camarat is only 16 deg deadrise, that's quite shallow.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the open bow on the monterey, how often do you actually take a significant amount of water over the bow even in very rough conditions? I used to have a sea ray bow rider and used to go out in all sorts, took a hand full of waves over the bow (usually wakes from large boats) in the 7 years I owned it, but it was fine, the bilge pumps handled it without drama.

stelican

Visit site
I am considering a Cap Camarat 9.0WA, and currently have a Monterey 278ss. My boating ground is the Spanish Med. The deadrise of my Monterey is 21 degrees whereas the CC is only 16 degrees. Would this mean the CC will have a tendency to slam more?
Main reason to consider moving to the CC is to have a closed bow and a bowtruster. The 278 is a great boat but it’s a bow rider so I need to be careful in what seas I take her out. Any 9.0WA owners that can share experience? Many thanks in advance
The Depth of the V only comes into effect whilst the hull is plaing at high speed I doubt if you will notice any difference from your current boat. Surprised to hear you have problems with current boat in the med, Try trimming the bow up

Alwaysbyboat

Visit site
First of all a big thank you for all your responses.
To be fair the biggest issue I have is probably the absence of a bowtruster. With stern to mooring and a single engine, mooring is fine if my neighbours are there. However, on a windy day with no boats next to me it is virtually impossible to moor.
With regards to taking waves over the boat, it only happened once and was my mistake as I approached the wave incorrectly. I think I’ll park the CC idea and keep the Monterey for a while.

j24jam

Visit site
We've got a Jeanneau Cap Camarat 8.5 CC in the Med.

Its slams.... a lot.

They really are fair weather boats.

cHic et Nunc

www.d-tails.be
Just bought a 2011 Monterey 278 SS open bow to move it in May to the Costa del Sol. This is such a beautiful, elegant boat ! Its size is a bit intimidating (coming from a Sea Ray 195) and I guess berthing med-style will be a challenge. The craziest thing is that this boat came from Majorca to Belgium for me to move it back south. ... Maybe I've bought your boat :) ?

Alwaysbyboat

Visit site
I haven't sold mine yet. Did play a few times with the idea for the reasons mentioned above, but actually do like the 278 so will keep her. I am looking into the possibility to fit a bow truster. Otherwise she never let me down and she's a fun boat to drive. I took a closer look at the Jeanneau. The bow truster seems a bit underpowered to be honest. The overall build quality is ok but the Monterey is far superior in my view (although I may be biased).
Where about on the Costa del Sol will you keep her?

cHic et Nunc

www.d-tails.be
I haven't sold mine yet. Did play a few times with the idea for the reasons mentioned above, but actually do like the 278 so will keep her. I am looking into the possibility to fit a bow truster. Otherwise she never let me down and she's a fun boat to drive. I took a closer look at the Jeanneau. The bow truster seems a bit underpowered to be honest. The overall build quality is ok but the Monterey is far superior in my view (although I may be biased).
Where about on the Costa del Sol will you keep her?
Looking for a berth in Cabopino or alternatively Fuengirola/Marbella Puerto Deportivo or Fishing Port. Cabopino is my favorite : relaxed, small, restaurants and beach bars around. Only disadvantage is depth coming in : we once got stuck there with a Cap Camarat rental boat and could just step out and push her free, inside the harbour inlet!.
Where is your boat based?