'Vessel in transit status'?

Visit site
Toying with the idea of some new sails. One of the suppliers discussed taxes and mentioned that it was still possible, in some places, to be able to claim this status to avoid paying VAT/import. It sounded too good to be true, so wonder if anyone here might know of any such places and circumstance under which this might still 'be a thing'.
Woof.

steveessex

Visit site
Someone posted a review of this boat yard in Croatia. Seems they had an agent there who organises yacht in transit vat free upgrades. I would be interested in what they say if you contact them. Log in to Facebook
Marinefokus YACHT Service Dubrovnik

Perrycas

Visit site
I had looked at Gib before and it didnt look promising. I had another look and found this:
bullet-box.gif;jsessionid=DB0F0EED0E70E013DFFE919E20C7CCCF
Can I import goods for my Yacht at Gibraltar?

All goods for non-Gibraltar registered vessels must be imported via a Customs clearing Agent or Ship's Chandlers to qualify for duty-free status. Goods for Gibraltar Registered vessels weighing less than 500 Tons attract duty, even if the owners are non-resident.

I an inclined to think that it depends on the tax on the goods.

Thanks to both of you for your interest. I shall have a bit more of a look, if I find anything will let you know.

steveessex

Visit site
I believe non EU nationals are not subject to VAT, pretty sure when the UK was in EU non EU nationals could claim VAT back on departure. I would then guess the same would now apply to UK nationals in the EU. However as pointed out it gets complicated and expensive engaging agents to complete the paperwork. Also believe the boat needs to be in transit and registered outside the EU.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I had looked at Gib before and it didnt look promising. I had another look and found this:
bullet-box.gif;jsessionid=DB0F0EED0E70E013DFFE919E20C7CCCF
Can I import goods for my Yacht at Gibraltar?

All goods for non-Gibraltar registered vessels must be imported via a Customs clearing Agent or Ship's Chandlers to qualify for duty-free status. Goods for Gibraltar Registered vessels weighing less than 500 Tons attract duty, even if the owners are non-resident.

I an inclined to think that it depends on the tax on the goods.

Thanks to both of you for your interest. I shall have a bit more of a look, if I find anything will let you know.
I've imported goods Yacht in Transit in Gib and it's hardly worth the hassle. First you are obliged to use an agent at the customs house and the minimum quote I got was 40 pounds... just for them to fill out a form... Then there is a 10% import duty in Gib which nobody mentions when they talk about the place being VAT free..
It has taken my 2-3 hours to go through all the hoops so the savings need to be pretty substantial.

Perrycas

Visit site
I've imported goods Yacht in Transit in Gib and it's hardly worth the hassle.

Thanks Sea Devil. I have been mulling this over for a while, contacted a marina and what I got back more or less what you have said - probably less as I hadn't gotten the import info. The boat is presently on the hard in the Azores. A truly rotten place to be buying 'a number of items'. Lowish VAT but a variable import duty and then theres the frightening freight. Pretty much a refit. I need some batteries some new panels various bits and bobs. I am thinking about heading west from there to the US. as an alternative. A bit of shopping, a bit of tourism. But its not going to happen this year. Its just Planning for the now, though it feels more like dreaming.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Toying with the idea of some new sails. One of the suppliers discussed taxes and mentioned that it was still possible, in some places, to be able to claim this status to avoid paying VAT/import. It sounded too good to be true, so wonder if anyone here might know of any such places and circumstance under which this might still 'be a thing'.
Woof.

This is the process used by all commercial ships world wide. The goods are bought at source free of VAT as they are for export and the export is done with the necessary documentation addressed to the receiving vessel . The authorities in the country where the vessel is docked at the time of receipt may ask for records showing the item is in service or in the stores at time of sailing. This often happens with oil rigs which are operating for say up to a year in say New Zealand waters.

I have hand carried items across the North Sea using this process to avoid customs duties on arrival. The customs officers were amused as not many Yotties take advantage of it. I had made out a detailed set of shipping docs and marked the packaging correctly using the important words Ships Stores in Transit.
To avoid VAT in the UK see as below. The hassle involved might not be worth it for a small amount.

Excise Notice 69a: aircraft, ship and train stores.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If it's any help two lots of good send this year one in Sicily and one lot on Malta , both time an agent did the paper work at a cost of €100 a time .
No issues with custom , both deliver to boat .

Bilgediver

Visit site

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Don't forget that if you are flying out then you can claim VAT back at the airport using a Form the from the supplier.

Retailer’s checklist for purchases made on or before 31 December 2020 (VAT407 notes)
Yes your correct , but there a possibility you might have to pay vat and import duty at the other end , depending what custom officer you come across if stopped .

This a for them in transit with their boat and need to import ,
the only option I found was a agent , I imported a set of sails for a friend from turkey 7.5K no duty or vat and electronic for myself from the UK 4.5k two different country and different agents no issues.
If you looking at import a few hundred pound worth it won't be worth your while. .
Try some one like SVB 24 .

Tranona

Visit site
The Retail scheme ended on 31/12/2020 except for goods bought before than for which the claim needed to have been made by the end of March.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
If it's any help two lots of good send this year one in Sicily and one lot on Malta , both time an agent did the paper work at a cost of €100 a time .
No issues with custom , both deliver to boat .
I am considering getting a watermaker which will cost about €5,000 so VAT savings could be worthwhile.
I would like to get this delivered to Malta and then export to Tunisia where I can install.
Do you have any details of agent used in Malta (or elsewhere)?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I am considering getting a watermaker which will cost about €5,000 so VAT savings could be worthwhile.
I would like to get this delivered to Malta and then export to Tunisia where I can install.
Do you have any details of agent used in Malta (or elsewhere)?
It's been some years now but I used Thomas Smith , if you Google import Malta they probably will come up .
Good luck .