More encounters with Orcas...

RupertW

Visit site
Understanding why would be useful.
Well maybe, maybe not. A thread 18 months ago got tangled up in the motivation of the rogue orcas. Whether is premeditated revenge or more likely just like cats scratching carpet in play doesn’t change the problem or speedy solution.

rib

Visit site
Well maybe, maybe not. A thread 18 months ago got tangled up in the motivation of the rogue orcas. Whether is premeditated revenge or more likely just like cats scratching carpet in play doesn’t change the problem or speedy solution.
So rupertw if you go out in to the wilderness and get attacked by a lion.do we kill a few lions ,if a rino damages your lovely rangerover do we kill them as well,or even the elephants.we do not own the water or the right to it..just keep out of their way as best as possible and when you cant stay out of their way you know the risks.take it on the chin thats sailing .... and yes i have /do sail the area

Goldie

Visit site
I’ve just heard on the local grapevine that there have been a few (3?) more attacks in the last few days and that one boat - ‘attacked’ off Faro is being lifted here (Lagos, Portugal) today. No further info I’m afraid.

geem

Visit site
I guess you won't be renewing your membership to the WWF then?

RupertW

Visit site
I guess you won't be renewing your membership to the WWF then?
I’m a complete supporter of wildlife but not of letting tigers or elephants going rogue or orcas. We can only share the planet with respect, tolerance and firm control when necessary.

geem

Visit site
I’m a complete supporter of wildlife but not of letting tigers or elephants going rogue or orcas. We can only share the planet with respect, tolerance and firm control when necessary.
They are animals not children.
We destroy their habitat continuesly by pollution and over fishing.
They don't understand your rules so your answer is to kill them. Nice

greeny

Visit site
Isn't it strange that people who don't live and sail in the affected regions are generally against action being taken against the rogue orcas and people whose boats, and lives possibly, are being threatened, generally are in favor of some sort of action being taken.
Just an observation.

sailingmartin

Visit site
Not a completely correct observation. I’m sailing along the Algarve coast at the moment and was off A Coruna and Finistere last September at the height of the interactions. I have absolutely no desire for the Orcas to be culled, we have to learn to share the ocean with the creatures that live in it.

Visit site
I’ve just heard on the local grapevine that there have been a few (3?) more attacks in the last few days and that one boat - ‘attacked’ off Faro is being lifted here (Lagos, Portugal) today. No further info I’m afraid.
Today's Correia da manha reports a yachy beig towed into Sesimbra yesterday with its rudder damaged by Orcas..
Isn't it strange that people who don't live and sail in the affected regions are generally against action being taken against the rogue orcas and people whose boats, and lives possibly, are being threatened, generally are in favor of some sort of action being taken.
Just an observation.
I am not in favoUr of your observation. I have lived and sailed on the tunny and hence orca route for forty years and have ridiculed the idea of shooting them with a rifle but like most thinking people will not vote in favour nor against the idea of drastic action (and for me killing is about as drastic as can be) without being in possession of a lot more information.
As far as I am aware no one has even been injured, much less died. Boats have been incapacitated in fine weather and within easy reach of help and crew may well have been scared shitless but no worse and I am against precipitate action.

greeny

Visit site
I deliberately said "generally" not "everyone" and I did not make any proposal either way. It was an observation, made in general.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Dolphins biting a windvane, sure he says that they were put off by the buzzer from the low oil pressure alarm when turning on his engine (in this video or one of the others). I imagine they're playimg rather than attacking but that doesn't get clicks.

I've read before about whales being attracted to sailing boats because of the hull looking like a whale and keel/rudder looking like a fin. I imagine it's curiosity and the fact they don't feel threatened as a yacht can't bite back mean they'll try it again.

It does seem these "attacks" are more that inquisitive behaviour and only a fool would think that an animal would take on a large yacht if easier actual edible prey was readily available. Unfortunately sucking out oceans of all food with super trawlers will push other predators to look elsewhere.

Not a lot will happen apart from a bunch of yachties talk about it and journalists will write articles to sell papers/clicks. Just gotta hope it doesn't happen to you, like you hope you don't get struck by lightning.

Goldie

Visit site
Any info yet ?
Not a lot I’m afraid and I’ve left the area now but friends tell me that the boat concerned was a Bavaria and that it was lifted, checked and re-launched so presumably, it was undamaged. Same friends told me that the boat was turned around by pressure on the aft/rudder area and that the Orca rubbed themselves against the boat. That’s all I have I’m afraid.

Goldie

Visit site
[QUOTE="Yellow Ballad, post: 7724089, member: 130261"
Just gotta hope it doesn't happen to you, like you hope you don't get struck by lightning. [/QUOTE]

Doesn’t inspire confidence though, not when you‘re heading that way in a few days as we are….

WoodyP

Visit site
In years past l avidly read the tales of Jim Corbett who culled maneating tigers. Can you not carry a goat to chuck over the side?

Other threads that may be of interest