Volvo D2 55 sea water pump

asteven221

Visit site
First day of our 2 week holiday and just completed a slog for 8 hours on the engine into 30 knots of wind on the nose. Did my engine checks and found some water at front of the engine. Arrgghh typical. Why do things always break when at the start of boating holidays !!!?? Upshot its the sea water pump. First thought it was a hose clip but now suspect its the pump leaking. I will give it a closer look today, but if it turns out as I suspect and the seal on the shaft is leaking then my question to the experts is - is it safe to just carry on despite the leak? The engine was not overheating and the pump was still working. I see there are weep holes at the back of the pump which I assume are there to protect the engine from water ingress.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
IMHO fine to carry on. I had a weeping pump on my D2-40 for months till I got it sorted. As you suspect the holes are to allow water to escape and also to tell you the seals have gone. Parts4engines do a full service kit.

penfold

Visit site
Make sure the weep hole doesn't get blocked up though, occasionally poke it with a cocktail stick or something to ensure there's free flow; if it blocks up the water will likely as not end up in the sump.