Travel Insurance to cover charter

alla_breve

Visit site
I'm chartering (as skipper) in the Med in a while ( yes, quarantine at home after!). Can anyone recommend Travel insurance that will cover sailing? I found some that will only do to 12m offshore, and i might wander over that limit, and another where public liability didnt apply while the engine was on! ( so if you hit a superyacht coming into the marina, youre not covered!)
Thanks

Quiddle

Visit site
I'm chartering (as skipper) in the Med in a while ( yes, quarantine at home after!). Can anyone recommend Travel insurance that will cover sailing? I found some that will only do to 12m offshore, and i might wander over that limit, and another where public liability didnt apply while the engine was on! ( so if you hit a superyacht coming into the marina, youre not covered!)
Thanks
My travel insurer states with regard to amber countries "As long as you’re not travelling to a destination where the FCDO advise against ‘all’ travel, you’re covered to travel by your travel insurance, subject to the policy terms and conditions." (There are exclusions for Covid related claims but not for general risks.)
That notwithstanding, surely the charterer's insurance will cover 3rd party claims from superyachts et al. in the same way car hire insurance protects you against 3rd party claims. Travel insurance covers you, not the boat or claims arising from the boat. There are skippers' policies* but when I have made specific enquiries as to what exactly they cover beyond the boat's policy (I'm a delivery skipper) I was met with a deafening silence.

*Skipper Liability Insurance | Pantaenius

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
My travel insurer states with regard to amber countries "As long as you’re not travelling to a destination where the FCDO advise against ‘all’ travel, you’re covered to travel by your travel insurance, subject to the policy terms and conditions."

That's not the general understanding. Who's your travel insurer?

Quiddle

Visit site
And, as the OP said, your insurance seems only to cover up to 12 miles offshore.
And that relates to not being covered at all as per post #2, or the OP's stated concern about hitting a superyacht whilst entering a marina how, exactly?
If you want me to say I'm wrong and you're right then consider it done. There are already enough threads bemoaning the abject descent of these fora into arenas of childish bickering without needing to contribute further.

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
And that relates to not being covered at all as per post #2, or the OP's stated concern about hitting a superyacht whilst entering a marina how, exactly?
If you want me to say I'm wrong and you're right then consider it done. There are already enough threads bemoaning the abject descent of these fora into arenas of childish bickering without needing to contribute further.

You seem to be the proponent of childish bickering.

Newboy6458

Visit site
No relationship with the business except as a long term customer but Staysure are offering covid cover add on for travel to Amber countries for holidays, including sailing cover.

alla_breve

Visit site
No relationship with the business except as a long term customer but Staysure are offering covid cover add on for travel to Amber countries for holidays, including sailing cover.
Phoned them- theres no cover for personal accident or personal liability if youre sailing! what a minefield!

Newboy6458

Visit site
Phoned them- theres no cover for personal accident or personal liability if youre sailing! what a minefield!
[/QUOTE
Strange. I specifically asked for cover while flotilla sailing. No worries and requirements were inside Greek territorial waters and wearing life jacket when appropriate.

alla_breve

Visit site
One person over phone said all ok, another said no injury cover. Check page 43 of the 45 page policy online in allowed sports section." Yachting" is ok inside 12m BUT there's an asterisk next to it - which then says "no personal accident or liability cover". Please check it yourself. I take this to mean that if you hurt yourself onboard there's no cover for hospital etc.