Spoiler The new La Vagabonde

MystyBlue2

Visit site
OTT IMHO. When they started out the boat was minimalistic and basic and the show was about living aboard for realists. Now look a few years on and its so farfetched and blown way out of proportion. All because of sponsorships and giveaways.

Its like portraying that every MMA fighter has Conor Mcgreggor's lifestyle. Total bollocks. Yet again another show ruined ? unless sci-fi is your thing ofcourse.

lustyd

Visit site
You'd prefer they go the way of Delos and gradually start to dislike sailing?

laika

Visit site
Rapido web site seems to be down (and I don't think it's the fastly problem :). I guess if that's down to interest generated by La Vagabonde then it's marketing money well spent. I personally know a total non-sailor who is thinking of jacking in his job and buying a boat and he's very specific about it being an Outremer (and hasn't looked at Lagoon, Fountaine Pajot etc.).

You just have to hang around the Amel stand at any boat show and listen to some of the questions punters are asking to know that the likes of Delos and Vagabonde are marketing gold

lustyd

Visit site
When did this happen?
Since the baby and since they tried sailling to more northern latitudes. They seem to be drifting towards being a nice family doing boat maintenance in the carribean as their USP. I don't have a problem with it, just highlighting that LaVaga are pushing their sailing to make it work while Delos readily admit in most episodes that they now a single parent who doesn't really enjoy sailing and a solo sailor. It may well still happen to LaVaga once number two comes along, but at least they can navigate around the worst of the weather in the new boat!

38mess

Visit site
Since the baby and since they tried sailling to more northern latitudes. They seem to be drifting towards being a nice family doing boat maintenance in the carribean as their USP. I don't have a problem with it, just highlighting that LaVaga are pushing their sailing to make it work while Delos readily admit in most episodes that they now a single parent who doesn't really enjoy sailing and a solo sailor. It may well still happen to LaVaga once number two comes along, but at least they can navigate around the worst of the weather in the new boat!
I did think that Kazza would much prefer a normal life now that the baby is here, you can see it in her eyes. I wonder what Brian will do, they can't stop making the videos as it is a nice little earner.

wully1

Visit site
La Vaga were good on the Beneteau but once the sprog and the cat came along I felt they lost the plot as far as cruising is concerned. The latest boat is another step away from relevance for me.
Good luck to them - they make good films and it must be very hard work to make them constantly.

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
I think La VagS choice of new boat is interesting. Riley is under the impression that its a speed machine and under perfect conditions I am sure it is. High performance monohull and multihulls sailors talk about speeds in the 20s and more but these are instantaneous speeds. In a cruising boat 24 hrs runs are more relevant. The problem with speed is its inversely proportional to comfort. At speed you have two choices when the seas get up. You go over the waves or through them. Even imoca foilers don’t always go over the waves and look what happens to their structure. When cruising short handed, speeds of multihulls and monohulls become surprisingly similar. 2kts generally covers the typical average cruising speeds of most 40-60ft boats. Friends with a high performance 56ft lightweight cat confirm this. Totally different if you are racing or have a big crew but speed sacrifices comfort and cruisers like comfort.
Push a multihull too hard and they tend to break stuff. The sea is hard material when you hit it at speed.

lustyd

Visit site
He literally said all of that in the video. Apart from "Riley is under the impression", he knows exactly what he knows.

lustyd

Visit site
Well 1.5 million people have a different opinion. So they can’t be doing too badly.
To be fair, I hate Eastenders. Apparently I'm wrong about that, so it's fair that a few people could be wrong about a Youtube channel too