Let down ny the so called RYA

JumbleDuck

Visit site
That could imply that you're not a current member?
If the RYA truly believes this
wiZDPAR.png

then they have responsibilities to (and authority over) all cruising sailors, whether members or not. I do not, however, acknowledge that this private member's club "governs" my leisure activities and I consider it spectacularly arrogant for them to claim to do so.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
wiZDPAR.png

then they have responsibilities to (and authority over) all cruising sailors, whether members or not. I do not, however, acknowledge that this private member's club "governs" my leisure activities and I consider it spectacularly arrogant for them to claim to do so.

Correct.

They have no authority over cruising sailors.

In the UK it is possible - and often done - to purchase a vessel and sail off with no training, insurance or input from any organisation/government body at all.

15 years ago they had an active cruising section and ran several useful 'Musters' at Cowes.

Since then, for cruisers, a waste of time.

IMHO, of course.

But from direct experience :(

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
wiZDPAR.png

I tend to agree. I'm not a current member and having never been particularly impressed by them I tend to just join when it gets me a discount. (Shocking admission). I do race though, and am a member of two affiliated clubs, so to that extent I'm governed...

The reason for asking @Tomahawk was that as a non member I don't think I have any right to question criticise their performance - other than as a join/not join factor.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
Correct.

They have no authority over cruising sailors.

In the UK it is possible - and often done - to purchase a vessel and sail off with no training, insurance or input from any organisation/government body at all.

15 years ago they had an active cruising section and ran several useful 'Musters' at Cowes.

Since then, for cruisers, a waste of time.

IMHO, of course.

But from direct experience :(
"We are the national governing body for dinghy, yacht and motor cruising, all forms of sail racing, RIBs and sportsboats, windsurfing and personal watercraft and a leading representative for inland waterways cruising I must say I don't like ...."
Home | RYA - Royal Yachting Association

What do they mean by "governing body"? They certainly don't govern my yacht cruising activities.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
as a non member I don't think I have any right to question criticise their performance
I think that you (we) have every right, as they are the Government recognised body to represent our sport!
**Please read this quickly as mention of Government could be construed as being political and hence deleted**

zoidberg

Visit site
Many aeons ago, when the Two Good Robins ran the show, I had the dubious honour of being admitted to a Cruising Committee as a representative of MOCRA, an affiliated body.

I drew some heavyweight ire when it filtered back I'd written that "Members of RYA Council can be identified at So'ton Boat Show RYA drinks parties by their footware. The boating noobs wear yellow wellies, the Harley Street surgeons and dentists wear white wellies, and the landowning nobs wear green wellies......"

I'd also commented on the several kilos of 'briefing papers and similar documents' sent out in the post prior to each meeting ( some of those in interesting places, such as Greenwich Observatory and The Hydrographic Office ) when the majority of matters the committee would be asked to consider had already been decided 'Higher Up'. I thought it would save a lot of travelling and member's money if, instead, the Minutes of Meeting - with Higher Decisions - could just be pre-posted to us.

It was drawn to my attention that 'You are on this committee not to represent your bunch's concerns to the RYA, but to represent the RYA's views to your affiliated members."

One ought to have remembered that the Two Good Robins had both been brigadiers ( several flavours ) in earlier incarnations, and that the Training Manager had been a Crusty Commander RN. Humming ditties from 'HMS Pinafore' was not encouraged.
hms+pinafore+songs

Good old days..... :LOL:

johnalison

Visit site
The application for a marina extension in Brightlingsea is not universally welcomed. It doesn't affect me, and I don't know the planning details but as I understand it the proposal will restrict access to an upstream yard. As such, I can only hope that the application will be examined in a thorough way and that the interests of existing users aren't overlooked. We have been invited to comment via our sailing clubs in the following terms:
"Morgan Marine have put in a planning application (21/00194/FUL) to Tendring District Council for an extension to their marina. Details are skimpy but it appears that the marina will expand approx. 17 metres into the north channel of Brightlingsea Creek, severely curtailing access to the creek beyond the commercial wharf including St Osyth Creek.

There has been very little consultation on this by Brightlingsea Harbour Commissioners or any other organisation.

The public are invited to comment on this planning application with a closure date of 10 June, so if you are concerned about this development or just the lack of consultation please do express your views to Tendring District Council before the consultation closure date of 10 June.

Morgan Marine has not yet made the necessary application for the development to the Marine Management Organisation (MMO) which will involve further consultation."

Caraway

Visit site
Surely there is no sport unless governed by a body. Motorsport has been like this for decades.
Events without accreditation from the governing body are, generally, not legal.
Some are held within clubs that are not affiliated, but it's usually green-laners and treasure hunts.

There should be standards and regulations for competetive events.

RogerJolly

Visit site
How the RYA get to call themselves Royal?

Are any Royals interested in sailing these days? Princess Anne maybe? Perhaps if she got fed up with them she could get them de-Royaled.