Let down ny the so called RYA

Tomahawk

Visit site
The RYA set themselves up as the representative of boating un the UK. One would think that as such they would seek to represent the interests of the boating industry and boaters for the benefit of the boating community. Sadly it seems. not to the the case.

To wit, the Tendring Local Plan (covers Briht lingsea, Walton Backwaters, Harwich and Mistley) 2007 has a land designstion and policy to support the development of waterside access for boating in Brightlingsea. The emerging local plan doesn’t have any such policy.

The RYA sat on their hands and said nothing ... absolutely nothing whatsoever.... on any part of the consultation and in particular failed to comment on the removal of a development brief that supports boating and boat users. By comparison the CPRE and RSPB made extensive comments on behalf of their interests to support their members.

Given there is a screaming shortage of moorings and boatng facilities around the S and E coast and that Brightlingsea in particular is the home of the UKs first sailing rock star in the form of Reg White, I do wonder what the RYA is doing?

Seven Spades

Visit site
The magazine which arrived through my door this week is looking for a non-executive director and states that the board want to increase diversity! The board has no reemit to engage on political social engineering. The purpose of the RYA is to represent its member whomever they may be, its sole purpose is to represent our interests and fight for them. It is not there to change society, I am sure that there are senior board members who are fully signed u to the belief that the RYA is "Hideously white".

I cannot remember when the lst time I recieved a copy of the RYA magazine and it dis not mention diversity! Being non-discriminatory is good but changing the ethnic mix of the RYA is not its role.

I wold love to see the RYA lobby the government for more marinas there are so many obvious places that could be developed such as Swanage, it is crying out for investment. North Cornwall could easily have some marinas if they were built with a rising and falling cill. They should be challenging the evidence that anchoring is damaging by letting this go unchallenged they have opened the door to ban all anchoring.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Surely the 'writing was on the wall' as one says, when the Covid Virus restrictions on Boating interests and Safety of both craft and personnel wre announced ; I for one thoght ' where the Hell is the RYA voice on this; as it seemed as if the RYA had little or no imput for the Boating fraternity at all;
Locally on the River Exe the harbour master notice statement probably contributed in at least 2 craft taking in rainwater and sank on their moorings; (down here the rain was very excessive over a long period;
Our Teignmouth Harbour Master also issued a Notice that did little or nothing to preservr craft safety ;
Both Harbour Master Notices did very little if anything to give a Boating safety boost or an adequate safety coverage
So the news that the RYA is becomming a lost cause is not without expectation , is it ?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
If you feel you are not getting value for money you could always terminate your membership...

Why have any organisation that does not do what it says on the Can

Unfortunately the RYA has its hand in so much to do with boating now its difficult to see how it could be unwound, suggest that a better Boating Orientated organiation is called for ; one that does act for our boating interests ?
Just stopping our contributions to that RYA will not stop then acting or not acting in our Boating interests will it ?

Tomahawk

Visit site
I have written to the local regional president demanding to know why they sat on their hands during the consultation stage of the local plan... which was back in 2014 ish

TernVI

Visit site
The RYA set themselves up as the representative of boating un the UK. One would think that as such they would seek to represent the interests of the boating industry and boaters for the benefit of the boating community. Sadly it seems. not to the the case.

To wit, the Tendring Local Plan (covers Briht lingsea, Walton Backwaters, Harwich and Mistley) 2007 has a land designstion and policy to support the development of waterside access for boating in Brightlingsea. The emerging local plan doesn’t have any such policy.

The RYA sat on their hands and said nothing ... absolutely nothing whatsoever.... on any part of the consultation and in particular failed to comment on the removal of a development brief that supports boating and boat users. By comparison the CPRE and RSPB made extensive comments on behalf of their interests to support their members.

Given there is a screaming shortage of moorings and boatng facilities around the S and E coast and that Brightlingsea in particular is the home of the UKs first sailing rock star in the form of Reg White, I do wonder what the RYA is doing?
Perhaps the majority of RYA members like the area as it is and don't actually want lots of development?
If you want to go boating in a highly developed area, there's the Thames just up the road.

Bouba

Visit site
In the pursuit of greater representation, the RYA does seem to regard those who paddle board on a canal as their main focus

Poignard

Visit site
Surely the 'writing was on the wall' as one says, when the Covid Virus restrictions on Boating interests and Safety of both craft and personnel wre announced ; I for one thoght ' where the Hell is the RYA voice on this; as it seemed as if the RYA had little or no imput for the Boating fraternity at all;
Locally on the River Exe the harbour master notice statement probably contributed in at least 2 craft taking in rainwater and sank on their moorings; (down here the rain was very excessive over a long period;
Our Teignmouth Harbour Master also issued a Notice that did little or nothing to preservr craft safety ;
Both Harbour Master Notices did very little if anything to give a Boating safety boost or an adequate safety coverage
So the news that the RYA is becomming a lost cause is not without expectation , is it ?
Would that be your ex-RN harbourmaster?

Tomahawk

Visit site
Perhaps the majority of RYA members like the area as it is and don't actually want lots of development?
If you want to go boating in a highly developed area, there's the Thames just up the road.

What do you mean by "lots of development"?
And how does one sail a yacht with a mast on the Thames?

Not being awkward you understand... but I can't follow your thinking .

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Would that be your ex-RN harbourmaster?

Yes indeed sir Mr P

Dunno what we are going to see with the incomming HM though, as She is also ex RN

Seems to me that we are getting the thin edge ere from boating representatives , are a thought , maybe they are not boating representatives but Govt and Council goons , selected in post to be or act as such goons; controlling but not helping our boating interests

NB if I dissapear in the night I obviously been banned, so nice knowing you all CP

Last edited:

Giblets

Visit site
And how does one sail a yacht with a mast on the Thames?
Try a Nic 32. Last time I looked it had a mast and, from personal experience, I can confirm that it is possible to sail from Brightlingsea right up to Tower Bridge (and nearly hit it but that's another story!).

Visit site
It is a few years since I’ve been to Brightlingsea. But as I remember, there seemed to be an abundance of boating facilities. Pontoons with a water taxi. Trot moorings. Two sailing clubs I think. And there was talk of a marina.

Poignard

Visit site
Yes indeed sir Mr P

Dunno what we are going to see with the incomming HM though, as She is also ex RN

Seems to me that we are getting the thin edge ere from boating representatives , are a thought , maybe they are not boating representatives but Govt and Council goons , selected in post to be or act as such goons; controlling but not helping our boating interests

NB if I dissapear in the night I obviously been banned, so nice knowing you all CP
Don't begrudge ex-RN officers a means of earning a crust.

Thrown out into an uncaring world in early middle-age, often lacking any marketable practical skills, they have to find something to do and there's only so many golf club secretary jobs going!

When I was in the RN many years ago I was several times encouraged to apply for a commission (presumably on the basis that I would be better inside the tent pissing out instead of outside pissing in). It was flattering to be asked but, after careful thought I always refused, and I'm glad I did as I was able to leave at the age of 28 and easily find well-paid interesting jobs; thanks to my practical experience and the excellent technical training I had received.