Aqua signal led anchor tri light

robertj

Visit site
Having my rigging replaced and the rigging chap informs me that my anchor light is half full of water.
mum abit upset as it’s only 4yr old max.
Has anyone else had the same problem as surely it should not have leaked in that time.
another-question for you all, does anyone have contact details for Aqua signal co. I will contact them to see what they say.

Thanks for any help

neil_s

Visit site
If you haven't looked at it for four years, it might simply be condensation. There is always a bit in my masthead light - not unexpected since the bulbs get quite hot - even LED ones.

LoneHort

Visit site
As it happens I have an unused one that I will gladly let go for a donation of 50% of retail to the RNLI. It is not LED but you could put led bulbs in it.
Pictured here.

Light

robertj

Visit site
As it happens I have an unused one that I will gladly let go for a donation of 50% of retail to the RNLI. It is not LED but you could put led bulbs in it.
Pictured here.

Light

That’s very kind and thankyou for your offer but this is a sealed led masthead light type 34, which shouldn’t but has leaked.

robertj

Visit site
If you haven't looked at it for four years, it might simply be condensation. There is always a bit in my masthead light - not unexpected since the bulbs get quite hot - even LED ones.

I didn’t say I hadn’t looked at it for four years but it’s four years old. It’s definitely not condensation it looks like it’s leaked. It worked last year no problem so looks like the integrity has degraded over the winter where it has filled with water.

mikegunn

Visit site
I didn’t say I hadn’t looked at it for four years but it’s four years old. It’s definitely not condensation it looks like it’s leaked. It worked last year no problem so looks like the integrity has degraded over the winter where it has filled with water.
It may be that the masthead light is designed to be water resistant only when mounted in its normal operating orientation. If a lamp is left on a demounted mast in the horizontal position, or even slightly inverted, it may be possible for rainwater to enter the lamp’s interior. I have always felt it better to remove lamps from masts when they’re being stored.
Mike

robertj

Visit site

Update

the unit led’s are sealed inside the outer body.

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi. On most aqua signal there is a seal between the lens casing and the main body. Also very easy to have them assembled together incorrectly and without the seal being effective. Hope that’s helped, should it be relevant to your light. Certainly it’s been the case with mine.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
It may be that the masthead light is designed to be water resistant only when mounted in its normal operating orientation. If a lamp is left on a demounted mast in the horizontal position, or even slightly inverted, it may be possible for rainwater to enter the lamp’s interior. I have always felt it better to remove lamps from masts when they’re being stored.
Mike
The OP mentions that the rigger who is replacing his rigging informed him of the problem. In light of this , (no pun intended), it is reasonable to assume that the mast is still up, and he has not seen the lamp's condition himself.

robertj

Visit site
The OP mentions that the rigger who is replacing his rigging informed him of the problem. In light of this , (no pun intended), it is reasonable to assume that the mast is still up, and he has not seen the lamp's condition himself.

no your assumptions are not right. I have seen the lamp and it’s a sealed unit within the outer casing as mentioned above,
the anchor light part was half full of water.