what knot to use?

madmat99

Visit site
IMG_1033(1).JPG
i have fitted my life lines using a bowline on the lifeline then three turns through the pushpit and finishing of with half hitches but on this one there is no space to as it touches up to the pushpit.
is their a suitable knot to fix these?
suggestions please

Mat

penfold

Visit site
Slacken the other end and fit U clamps; it's a bit of a bodge though, you really need shorter wires.

R8934d86c370c6abe9eba245902db6faf

Aeolus

Visit site
I think that, over time, you will end up with a sagging guard wire and have no ability to tighten it. I would bite the bullet now, cut off the current terminator and have a new one put on shortening the wire. Then revert to the traditional turns & hitches. If the aesthetics of a sagging guard wire don't bother you, then use a shackle instead of cord.

TernVI

Visit site
The thing on the end of the wire is just an eye nut.
Find a shorter one?
I would just lash it with several turns of small dyneema or similar.
You could lash the eyenut to the tube, just using the welded on eye to set the height?
It might be worth doing this temporarily at least to check the length you really want, see if you can get a new stud swaged on or need a new wire?
If the other end is on a rigging link, see if it can be switched for a shorter one.

madmat99

Visit site
thanks for the advice all. getting it chopped and a few inches taking out. its strange as the other three all leave 2-3 inch and this one did not.
i know the pushpit was removed and refitted just beore it bought the boat. it may somehow have ended up slightley further foward. who knows!

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
All it needs is lashing, but not round the welded-on fitting; ignore it, and lash around the actual pushpit tubing, above the fitting.
(I wouldn't use dyneema etc, because it can be hard to cut with a handy knife, and you don't need the extra strength.)

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
All it needs is lashing, but not round the welded-on fitting; ignore it, and lash around the actual pushpit tubing, above the fitting.
(I wouldn't use dyneema etc, because it can be hard to cut with a handy knife, and you don't need the extra strength.)
This.
It looked pretty obvious as a simple short term solution to me too. Best is to have the wire shortened though

johnalison

Visit site
You can still start with a bowline for your temporary lashing, as the knot part will lie alongside the next hoop, even if it looks a bit clumsy.

Neeves

Visit site
I assume you have three wires - are you sure you have not got them mixed up. The one in your image looks as if it might fit, better, higher up.

Who measured the wires? If it was the people who made them - simply have it made again (at their expense).

Jonathan

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Please don't do this ^^
I agree in principle. Shortening the wire is better. But explain exactly why. We don't learn from simple declarative statements.

Is there some reason to think it would be weak (assuming correct materials and size)? I would take a die grinder and smooth out the groves. Yes, some people will be insecure about the welds on the loop; since these have been widely used with wire lines for a long time, I'm going to ignor that concern for the moment.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I agree in principle. Shortening the wire is better. But explain exactly why. We don't learn from simple declarative statements.

Is there some reason to think it would be weak (assuming correct materials and size)? I would take a die grinder and smooth out the groves. Yes, some people will be insecure about the welds on the loop; since these have been widely used with wire lines for a long time, I'm going to ignor that concern for the moment.
I thought he meant, 'use them to join the two rigid sections of stainless round bar' but now I see he probably means 'thread the wire through the loop on the pushpit and bulldog clip it to itself', which would be poor unless you could fit a thimble; also I doubt there would be enough slack at the other end anyway. But if you used a thimble, and there was enough slack to get 3 clips on, it would be totally fine, especially if you wrapped up the clips and frayed end of the wire, in say SA tape to stop getting cut hands.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I thought he meant, 'use them to join the two rigid sections of stainless round bar' but now I see he probably means 'thread the wire through the loop on the pushpit and bulldog clip it to itself', which would be poor unless you could fit a thimble; also I doubt there would be enough slack at the other end anyway. But if you used a thimble, and there was enough slack to get 3 clips on, it would be totally fine, especially if you wrapped up the clips and frayed end of the wire, in say SA tape to stop getting cut hands.

Actually, I meant joining the round bar (although I agree that is probably not what he meant). In theory there could be angular movement, though if this is the bow end, probably not. It would act like a really short shackle.