Another new Nordhavn

EricJ

Visit site
Actually that is an interesting comparison because, according to the Nordhavn specs, the N52 is a larger, heavier boat by more than a nominal margin of 1ft suggests. Yes I know the N52 only has a single + wing rather than twin engines but for some long distance cruisers, a single is preferable anyway. I'm guessing the delivery cost of a N52 to Europe would be around $50,000 so that makes a cost difference between the N52 and N51 of around $200,000 plus you get a degree of customisability with the N52. It would be interesting to talk to some of the buyers of the new N51 to understand why they didnt go for a N52 although I guess the main reason would be the twin engines. It would also be interesting to know whether the N51 has cannibalised N52 sales and whether Nordhavn are now willing to discount the N52 price a little as a result;)
I think the N51 will attract a different group of buyers than the N52. The N51 buyer will not need all the customization, single engine + dry exhaust set up and possibly back up systems since they will not cross oceans. The N51 buyer will probably be attracted by the trawler style in combination with a more contemporary and lighter interior (larger windows). I think they make a clever move here, filling the gap between let’s say a Swift Trawler and the traditional Nordhavns.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I think the N51 will attract a different group of buyers than the N52. The N51 buyer will not need all the customization, single engine + dry exhaust set up and possibly back up systems since they will not cross oceans. The N51 buyer will probably be attracted by the trawler style in combination with a more contemporary and lighter interior (larger windows). I think they make a clever move here, filling the gap between let’s say a Swift Trawler and the traditional Nordhavns.

I think youre right. I see the N51 as a circumnavigation around the Med or UK type boat rather than a circumnavigation around the world type boat as the N52 but having said that, Nordhavn are still marketing the N51 as a long distance cruiser. All I'm saying is that if I was in the market for a N51, I'd be looking at the larger N52 as well because there's not a huge disparity in price

Talking about Swift Trawlers, the price of the new Grand Trawler 62 is around about that of the N51/52. That would be a tempting proposition for a buyer perhaps dithering between a full displacement N51/52 and a semi displacement boat, especially if they only had Med cruising in mind

Visit site
It does look very nice even if the those two chairs say hello grandpa and take up a hell of a lot of space. Having been forced to cruise for a few hours getting out to watch the Americas Cup racing all I can say is I’ve realised that full displacement isn’t for me. The semi displacement seems to make the most sense unless you really do plan on an expedition.

EricJ

Visit site
I think youre right. I see the N51 as a circumnavigation around the Med or UK type boat rather than a circumnavigation around the world type boat as the N52 but having said that, Nordhavn are still marketing the N51 as a long distance cruiser. All I'm saying is that if I was in the market for a N51, I'd be looking at the larger N52 as well because there's not a huge disparity in price

Talking about Swift Trawlers, the price of the new Grand Trawler 62 is around about that of the N51/52. That would be a tempting proposition for a buyer perhaps dithering between a full displacement N51/52 and a semi displacement boat, especially if they only had Med cruising in mind
That is an interesting one indeed. Or does the Grand Trawler need another 200k worth of options to make it Med proof?
This whole pricing thing is really bizarre. Boats.co.uk has a Princess V39 from 2015 for 350k. I thought that was the price new at the time...

JB

Visit site
Lots of Nordhavn don’t have VAT paid as they move around so frequently and it is so inexpensive to leave the EU every 18 months when only burning about 10lph

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Lots of Nordhavn don’t have VAT paid as they move around so frequently and it is so inexpensive to leave the EU every 18 months when only burning about 10lph

Its probably more cost effective to register the boat in Turkey where foreigners are exempt from the VAT and then sail the boat back to Europe. A lot cheaper than paying £50,000 having it delivered and more fun

:cool:

JB

Visit site

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Introducing the brand new Nordhavn 625: a twist on the proven Nordhavn 60 hull. – Nordhavn Yachts

2 new models released - a 625 and a 71, both gorgeous boats! Maybe time for an upgrade for BlackSwan. The great thing about these boats is they can do long trips at such a low cost and it does not have any wear and tear on the boat.... Black Swan is leaving Antibes in the next 2 weeks to go back to UK/Ireland for some early summer cruising and then back to france for the peak season..

It looks like Nordhavn are rapidly moving towards being a mass production boat manufacturer

:unsure:

JB

Visit site
Yes it does but I am assured that they will always have the line of customisable boats- for example the 60 is going nowhere, they will continue to build the 60 for the moment as with the 68

EricJ

Visit site
Wow, their design department has been very active in Covid times. Very interesting. Looks like they kept the classic set up with wing engine and dry exhaust for these models.

JB

Visit site
The new 71 looks like a very nice boat with the master cabin behind the pilothouse.. there was an 86 in Antibes (Gallice) in the summer before it headed to the US with this feature... very nice

Wow, their design department has been very active in Covid times. Very interesting. Looks like they kept the classic set up with wing engine and dry exhaust for these models.

The dry exhaust is a great feature but unfortunately as a result the wing engines suffer on some boats due to lack of use

EricJ

Visit site
The dry exhaust is a great feature but unfortunately as a result the wing engines suffer on some boats due to lack of use

I thought the wing engine was used to power the hydraulics, or may be on some specific builds. That would not be ideal if you need to start both engines to use the bow thruster while moving the boat a small distance....

JB

Visit site
The smaller boats are generally electric thrusters... on the larger boats some have the hydraulic pump on the wing but some owners opt for it on the main.. I would prefer on the wing as it would mean you get to use it and keep it running

EricJ

Visit site
I was watching this video today from MV Dirona about preparations for an Atlantic crossing.
I wonder if they will provide stormplates for the N41 and 51 too. The larger portholes in these models may be a bit more difficult to protect. That would be another proof that these are more coastal cruisers than true ocean going vessels.

JB

Visit site
Yes storm plates are pretty simple things to get.. I have them but never used them.. Not sure about the 51 but on the portholes we have stainless steel 'shields' that you screw onto the window to stop water getting in. I imagine the portholes on the 51 will need stormshields and the stainless steel 'shields' would be too big

JB

Visit site
The first N41 arrived in Southampton today... a pretty different concept to that of the 40 and 43 but I am looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks

EricJ

Visit site
The first N41 arrived in Southampton today... a pretty different concept to that of the 40 and 43 but I am looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks
Cool. Let us know what you think of it in a couple of weeks.
just found this video from the buyers of one of the first N41s. Some interesting detail in the engine room. Hopefully the crack in the gearbox is not a common issue. The small holes in the windows is a strange thing for this type of boat.