Recomend six books,please

Wansworth

Visit site
Out here in the colonies especially with the covid my supply of books is exhausted,but what to ask for from Amazon,can you recommend a few books worth reading not necessarily nautical,not overly technical,autobiography,biography’s, novels whatever,thanks

Poignard

Visit site
Out here in the colonies especially with the covid my supply of books is exhausted,but what to ask for from Amazon,can you recommend a few books worth reading not necessarily nautical,not overly technical,autobiography,biography’s, novels whatever,thanks
I don't know what you like to read so it's hard to make suggestions but I am nearing the end of "Command of the Ocean" by N. A.M.Rodger which I have really enjoyed reading.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Passage to Juneau, by Jonathan Raban. On the face of it a tale of him sailing his boat from Seattle to Juneau (Alaska), but that is just a frame on which he expertly hangs fascinating information and musings about history, anthropology, exploration, relationships, culture, tourism, and much, much more. Brilliant. I picked up a copy in a bookshop once when I was out Christmas Shopping for something else. By the next morning I'd read it, and went back to buy all of the shop's remaining copies as presents for friends. I've read it several times since, and still get more out of it each time.

The Worst Journey in the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard. Beautifully written. A thoughtful, gripping and moving account of his part in the Scott's second (?) expedition to Antartica, wonders and warts and all. (The 'worst journey' was not Scott's ill-fated trip to the South Pole, by the way, and reaching the Pole was not even the main point of the two-year expedition, contrary to popular belief.) Reckoned by some (including Paul Theroux?) to be the best travel book ever written. I understand that there's been a TV film with the same title, but it couldn't possibly capture the richness of this book.

Wansworth

Visit site
Passage to Juneau, by Jonathan Raban. On the face of it a tale of him sailing his boat from Seattle to Juneau (Alaska), but that is just a frame on which he expertly hangs fascinating information and musings about history, anthropology, exploration, relationships, culture, tourism, and much, much more. Brilliant. I picked up a copy in a bookshop once when I was out Christmas Shopping for something else. By the next morning I'd read it, and went back to buy all of the shop's remaining copies as presents for friends. I've read it several times since, and still get more out of it each time.

The Worst Journey in the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard. Beautifully written. A thoughtful, gripping and moving account of his part in the Scott's second (?) expedition to Antartica, wonders and warts and all. (The 'worst journey' was not Scott's ill-fated trip to the South Pole, by the way, and reaching the Pole was not even the main point of the two-year expedition, contrary to popular belief.) Reckoned by some (including Paul Theroux?) to be the best travel book ever written. I understand that there's been a TV film with the same title, but it couldn't possibly capture the richness of this book.
Yes unfortunatlyI have read it,any of his books are worth a punt

Slowtack

Visit site
Some authors to consider., not sailing material...........but most of them are fairly prolific so no shortage if they suit you.
James Lee Burke for crime set mainly in the southern US
Michael Connelly for crime set in and around LA
Philip Kerr for crime novels set mainly in Germany during and after the nazi era
Alan Furst for espionage in prewar Europe
Irene Nemirovsky for WW2 human interest (Auschwitz victim)
Vassily Grossman for Russia in the Stalin era
Juliet Barker for English history
James Joyce for.................literature!

steve yates

Visit site
Lanark, a life's in 4 books by Alisdair Gray.
At play in the fields of the lord, by Peter Matthiessen
A fine balance, by Robinson Minstry
The return of John Mcnab by Andriew Grieg
The Kite Runner, by Kalid Hosseini
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson

And if you want some light but absorbing reading, the Travis McGee novels by John D MacDonald are superb, based on a guy living on his boat in early retirement in Florida, who recovers things for people for money . These are the books that all other private eye style novels follow and rarely match.

Galwayj

Visit site
The Brendan voyage by Tim Severn or any of tims other books about reinactment of famous voyagescof antiquity Sinbad voyage is another st Brendan was an Irish monk who may have sailed to America 800 yes ago in a traditional Irish leather boat it's a great read Tim passed away just before Xmas and was an amazing guy and gifted story teller hope you enjoygalwayj

Poecheng

Visit site
By a quirk I shall not bore you with, I have ended up reading The Eustace Diamonds by Trollope. Very good indeed and available on Gutenberg for free, which is where I started before buying the books.

ashtead

Visit site
Good book on Gordon Bennett junior by the marina journalist Sam which might be worth a look . It’s all about trans Atlantic race by 3 yachts of the NY yacht club but a lot of other interesting snippets.

Norman_E

Visit site
I just remembered that some time ago I wrote a reading list of 100 books (or in some cases series) mostly from my collection. Its in the form of a spreadsheet and putting it here has failed as is is too big. . Not all are in print and some like Gregory of Tours History of the Franks are a bit left field, but all are in their own ways good reads. The list is here
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/my-100-books.528862/

Last edited: