Engine bay fire extinguishers

Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking to fit a fire extinguisher in my engine bay but I am in a bit of a dilema.

Is it best to have an automatic extinguisher at a certain temperature OR a manual pull chord one? For the pull chord, is there a simple modification that can be done to any extinguisher?
Also, where is the optimal place to put the extinguisher?

I have a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805.

Thank you!

Seastoke

Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking to fit a fire extinguisher in my engine bay but I am in a bit of a dilema.

Is it best to have an automatic extinguisher at a certain temperature OR a manual pull chord one? For the pull chord, is there a simple modification that can be done to any extinguisher?
Also, where is the optimal place to put the extinguisher?

I have a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805.

Thank you!
Automatic it’s to late when you need to pull and you might not be able to access , what if it’s at night . Or if you see a bit of smoke you might lift the engine hatch in you will be introducing air to help the fan the fire

fred247

Visit site
Automatic fm200 large enough to fill the engine bay space total volume as if the engine isn't there. placed as near to a likely heat source as possible, common place if room above the engine on under side of engine hatch, engine heat will not discharge it but fire will. Do not use dry powder will ruin the engine

jamie langstone

Visit site
I have a MF805 and I placed an auto one in the engine bay on the port side . There is also a hole in the bulkhead to fire extinguisher in the storage hatch at the back facing the engine . There should be a black cap/plug that you pull out to poke the extinguisher in. I would never open the engine hatch if you suspect you have a fire .

superheat6k

Visit site
Most auto fire extinguishers work by a glass bulb melting. A stiff wire loop around the glass bulb wil easily trigger the thing, just make sure you don't trip on the wire !

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I put a Fireblitz 2kg in my Antares 760, in my case it was a condition of insurance that there must be a fully auto extinguisher in the engine compartment.
64545419-007A-4762-B59A-DADC1E31F3AC.png89623EA0-72AC-4D8A-A7B8-B8AEBF06BFA3.jpeg

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
I put a Fireblitz 2kg in my Antares 760, in my case it was a condition of insurance that there must be a fully auto extinguisher in the engine compartment.
View attachment 109698View attachment 109699
That looks really neat (and a good price) and a lovely clean engine as well by the way.
It looks quite small from the picture. Did you reference any specification for volume.
I edit
Ive just looked at the data sheet and it says a floor area of 2 sq M but no volume spec. Do you have any more info.
Maybe perfect for single engine (as long as your insurers don’t want manual activation as well) but not for twin engine space because you can’t double up.

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
On a serious note.....by putting it there.....if you had a fire at full chatt.....wouldn’t all the agent just get sucked into the engine And perhaps not put out the fire?

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
That looks really neat (and a good price) and a lovely clean engine as well by the way.
It looks quite small from the picture. Did you reference any specification for volume.
It’s the biggest they do in that range, specified for 3.4cum which should be ok. They do warn not to use two extinguishers in the same space.
B874F744-D4C6-4B0C-A009-9F34014396F3.png

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
On a serious note.....by putting it there.....if you had a fire at full chatt.....wouldn’t all the agent just get sucked into the engine And perhaps not put out the fire?
At least it would stop the engine! I’m more worried about not being able to close off the 6 vents feeding in from outside.

BruceK

Visit site
Fire at sea is my biggest fear. Been there and done that on a ship that was gutted on shelter and mezzanine decks.

I have two Gaseous auto extinguishers in the engine bay. 1 is redundant and these on top of a Halon fire suppression system that is still armed and ok but I cant dispose of. My battery banks have a dedicated powder extinguisher and my diesel heater has a dedicated powder fire extinguisher. The cockpit has a portable unit and there are two more portables for the cabins. The galley has a extinguisher and fire blanket.
I have 3 smoke and infrared alarms along the boat.

It may seem overkill, but have you ever seen the gusto with which a GRP boat can burn?