An AMA with Nick Burham (AKA Aquaholic) - Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjenbav

Visit site
Aquaholic’s trademark move is opening lockers. Could you even guess how many in five years? Keep up the good work ?

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
What’s your worst/scariest boating related incident?
... and the best?

And the best. Without doubt the Princess 72 yacht charter we did in Mallorca in 2019. If you search YouTube for 'AQUAHOLIC Ultimate Charter' you'll see why!

In fact very possibly the best experience of my life, it was just incredible! :)

joatmon

Visit site
Hey Nick. Ian here, from Ontario Canada(Bob Uncle) on YouTube.
I think I started following just before you reached 100k subs. Well done on the 1/4 million.

What would you say is the biggest advantage of the growth of your channel? Also, would you say there are any drawbacks? Does you notoriety get in the way of doing your tours efficiently?

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
1. Given the worldwide pandemic, do you see the market (long and/or short term) demand for super yachts i) stagnating, ii) decreasing, iii) increasing ?

2. Given the worldwide pandemic, do you see the market (long and/or short term) demand for 20'0" - 50'0" yachts i) stagnating, ii) decreasing, iii) increasing ?

finchtimr

Visit site
When I was looking for a boat, the Jeanneau 805 Leader was such a clear winner that I eventually stopped looking for anything else and just looked at 805 Leaders. But the Bavaria 28 Sport probably came closest as it also has a wide beam.

No I don't. Bareboat motorboat charter is a bit risky in the UK, I don't know anyone who does it.

For me, sportscruiser every time as I like the feeling of speed you get from being close to the water, it's more sheltered than a flybridge and the cockpit is bigger/better. But maybe if I had a boat in the Med where it's hotter and I wanted better accommodation I'd go flybridge.

Thanks Nick, the Mrs liked your answer as she prefers flyrbidge from aesthetics alone!!

Noted on the leader - thanks.

Re charter, why is it seen as so risky in the UK? So accessible overseas, but difficult here.

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
1. Given the worldwide pandemic, do you see the market (long and/or short term) demand for super yachts i) stagnating, ii) decreasing, iii) increasing ?

2. Given the worldwide pandemic, do you see the market (long and/or short term) demand for 20'0" - 50'0" yachts i) stagnating, ii) decreasing, iii) increasing ?

I don't know much about the superyacht market although I'm lead to believe it's doing well.

Demand for 20-50ft boats is absolutely off the scale! It seems the pandemic has refocussed disposable income and leisure time towards more self isolated pursuits, and it doesn't get much more self isolated than aboard a boat. A family can turn up at the marina, load up and head out, have a fantastic time together and not go near anyone else if they don't want to.

Every broker I spoke to last year said sales were through the roof, and every one I'm speaking to this year is complaining that they can't get enough boats because they sold them all last year! :D

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
Thanks Nick, the Mrs liked your answer as she prefers flyrbidge from aesthetics alone!!

Noted on the leader - thanks.

Re charter, why is it seen as so risky in the UK? So accessible overseas, but difficult here.

Uncertain weather is the main reason. People are happy to book a charter in the Med knowing that next week/next month the weather is likely to be good. You just can't do that here. Then there are things like tides which are much more relevant. It's just a more hostile environment if you don't know what you're doing, and a very hard one to plan if you do.

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
Hey Nick. Ian here, from Ontario Canada(Bob Uncle) on YouTube.
I think I started following just before you reached 100k subs. Well done on the 1/4 million.

What would you say is the biggest advantage of the growth of your channel? Also, would you say there are any drawbacks? Does you notoriety get in the way of doing your tours efficiently?

Hey there Bob Uncle!

Thank you.

The biggest advantage is that manufacturers have started to call me to arrange a tour of their new model rather than the other way around! :D

Binnacle

Visit site
With inshore waters becoming more and more crowded, and a growing tendency for the 'first boat' to become bigger and faster, is it time for MCA to insist on formal qualifications and insurance ?

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
Do you think that motor boating will become more socially unacceptable in the future? #Greta

That's hard to say. I hope not. Boats (fast ones anyway) obviously are not fuel efficient, but they get sold in such small quantities and used so little compared to cars I find it hard to imagine they make much difference. But they could be an easy target.

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
With inshore waters becoming more and more crowded, and a growing tendency for the 'first boat' to become bigger and faster, is it time for MCA to insist on formal qualifications and insurance ?

I don't think so because it's extremely clear that on the roads, formal qualifications don't stop bad or careless driving and because the fact is that incidents are extremely rare, and I doubt getting a qualification would change that.

Dino

Visit site
Hi Nick,
I noticed on your recent Q&A that your wife is Irish. Do you have any plans to do some cruising on the Irish coast or Inland Waterways?

Also, have you ever thought (or dreamt) of taking time out to do a big cruise? If so, where would you go and what boat would you take?

GaryPL

Visit site
Hi Nick,

Love your YouTube channel. I've been watching for ages.

Are there any specific boats, or types of boat, that you have yet to be able to do a tour of, that you'd really like to feature one day on your channel? If so, what's stopped you from being able to get on board them to date?

:)

finchtimr

Visit site
Uncertain weather is the main reason. People are happy to book a charter in the Med knowing that next week/next month the weather is likely to be good. You just can't do that here. Then there are things like tides which are much more relevant. It's just a more hostile environment if you don't know what you're doing, and a very hard one to plan if you do.

Other than the 805, I’m also eyeing up the next size down, in the 6.5-7.5 range small cuddy type E.g Cap Camarat. Anything good value and economical worth keeping an eye out for? Sailed most of my life but want to move into motor boating for ease with the family. Any thoughts welcomed!

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
Hi Nick,
I noticed on your recent Q&A that your wife is Irish. Do you have any plans to do some cruising on the Irish coast or Inland Waterways?

Also, have you ever thought (or dreamt) of taking time out to do a big cruise? If so, where would you go and what boat would you take?

I'd love to, I love Ireland!

Again, yes please. With no cost or time restrictions I'd take a 50-60 foot planing boat, start in Gibraltar and head east along the Med.

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
Other than the 805, I’m also eyeing up the next size down, in the 6.5-7.5 range small cuddy type E.g Cap Camarat. Anything good value and economical worth keeping an eye out for? Sailed most of my life but want to move into motor boating for ease with the family. Any thoughts welcomed!

There are a lot of great boats. I'd be checking out Galeon's Galia range, Jeanneau, Ocean Master, Finnmaster, lot of good boats out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.