Gaff schooner sunk in Brixham

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Just seen this, she is a ferro gaff schooner. I was one of the delivery crew who took her from Dover to Brixham a few years ago, her intended destination was Turf Lock Exmouth, she looked quite presentable and was capable of sailing back then.
I wonder what happened?
We were towed into BM with a broken injector pipe on the 6354. But the new owner seemed to have the resources to do what was needed. Very sad anyway. She is a heavy old 'beast', we tried to get her lifted at Sovereign Harbour for a scrub, and their 50 tonne hoist tripped out!
was Turf FC0B3932-FE3C-4AEF-B767-68D4CC44787B.jpegAD8AB62F-EA12-4929-965D-D26A340F09AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
I wonder if somebody did buy her for Current Price: £113.11 as mentioned in the advert?

I wonder what 'went wrong' to cause her to sink?
Maybe failure of a through hull fitting?
Have you had a lot of rain recently? Although if she filled up gradually with rain, then surely this would have been noticed?

If she had at least a couple of watertight bulkheads then they might have helped to keep her afloat a bit longer until help arrived.

Re insurance, it is very difficult to get insurance for even a well found ferro boat, never mind one that is rather tatty.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I wonder if somebody did buy her for Current Price: £113.11 as mentioned in the advert?

I wonder what 'went wrong' to cause her to sink?
Maybe failure of a through hull fitting?
Have you had a lot of rain recently? Although if she filled up gradually with rain, then surely this would have been noticed?

If she had at least a couple of watertight bulkheads then they might have helped to keep her afloat a bit longer until help arrived.

Re insurance, it is very difficult to get insurance for even a well found ferro boat, never mind one that is rather tatty.
Zero meaningful bulkheads, and I had constant issues keeping the neglected machinery working. Probly a through-hull;
at least we can be sure it wasn't an insurance job :)
Although joking aside, it will cost a lot to raise and destroy her, who pays? Just out of curiosity.

pvb

Visit site
Looks like the harbour authority was selling the boat to offset unpaid mooring fees. I wonder whether it sold? The auction notice doesn't appear to have a closing date. It could be that the harbour authority will end up paying the cost of removing the wreck.

trevbouy

Visit site
If you want to see the masts at least, here is a live link to a webcam. It does a stop start tour of the harbour but dwells long enough to see it clearly. There's 3 web cameras in Brixham
Seems either the harbourmaster and others were 'inspecting' it around 9am today or just surveyers. In a boat with orange hi viz and lifejackets.

Brixham Harbour Cameras